IGNORED

A rather strange question regarding mental illness

pbbeck

In the wake of the tragic shooting in Arizona (which this thread is NOT about), a strange question is nagging me. Why does it appear that so many mentally ill people go to the "mind control thing" and/or the "government conspiracy thing"? It would seem that given the complexity of the human mind multiplied by the differences between individual people, that mental illness should manifest itself with endless variety.

I just find it strange that there is such a prevalence of a particular manifestation of mania.

This particular manifestation lends itself to media coverage. Nothing less, nothing more.

'Man Loses Mind, Sits In Corner' doesn't exactly sell news papers.

Or to use an analogy, how many posts do you see about people going on a ride, nothing bad happened?

My guess is that 99.9% of those suffering from mental illness are not violent. But that one-tenth of one percent is capable of doing incredible damage.

Much depends on the definition of mental illness. I would surmise the diagnosis is not an exact science and is open to interpretation. It's alright to think you are suffering from government mind control if it isn't dangerous to others. It can be said some people think people who ride motorcycles are mentally ill.

Unfortunately they way our criminal justice and medical care system works, it's not against the law to be a wack job. We can't infringe on the freedoms of the mentally ill until they commit a crime.

Used to be nut cases were locked up in institutions. Can't do that anymore.

Wonder if I can get a job as a Government Mind Controller? How many people would I have to monitor every day? How long is my shift? Does someone else take over when I go to lunch or do my charges just "free range" for an hour? If they put on aluminum hats, can I go on break? Reminds me of Being John Malcovitch.

----

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Its a place for them to focus their paranoia.

+1. Very common for them to be paranoid. Put two together and watch out. Maybe polarized government and commentary exacerbates it.

If feeble memory severs, During the Reagan years, at least here in Calif a lot of mental hospitals closed letting these daft folks have no place to be cared for. We gots tons of them on the street.

It may not be the state of their mental grip as much as the state of our society and how do or don't deal with the whole mental health arena.

Wonder if I can get a job as a Government Mind Controller? How many people would I have to monitor every day? How long is my shift? Does someone else take over when I go to lunch or do my charges just "free range" for an hour? If they put on aluminum hats, can I go on break? Reminds me of Being John Malcovitch.

----

The interview for the job would be interesting!

I'm actually a government mind controller in the opinion of some people. Driving carefully, legally and safely is in the minds of most drivers. The government has conditioned and controlled our minds not to do otherwise. The conditioning and brainwashing also includes the consequences when your mind control leads you astray to violate the rules of the road. That's where I come in.

It's a way of making sense of the experience that one's motivation is external to one's mind. We all try to make sense of our experiences; the experience of schizophrenia, for example, isn't completely unique so it's reasonable that there are some common themes. There is also a common culture, society, zeitgeist from which to pull symbols and references.

If a person feels their life is out of control (common with many forms of mental illness) and experiences desires/impulses as externally caused instead of internal processes (e.g., in schizophrenia), it's understandable that they would explain it as mind control and assign an external controlling agent. Aliens, governments, powerful groups working in the shadows, dogs -- take your pick.

In the wake of the tragic shooting in Arizona (which this thread is NOT about), a strange question is nagging me. Why does it appear that so many mentally ill people go to the "mind control thing" and/or the "government conspiracy thing"? It would seem that given the complexity of the human mind multiplied by the differences between individual people, that mental illness should manifest itself with endless variety.

I just find it strange that there is such a prevalence of a particular manifestation of mania.

Not presuming to know much about anything related to mental health, these seem to be different manifestations of paranoia, ultimately an overactive, indeed all-encompassing fear reaction. Fear has its benefits to mentally healthy people, keeping us (them?) from taking irrational risks and triggering physical reactions that enhance one's ability to fight or flee. It seems that this overactive fear may seize on popular themes and manifest itself in this consistent manner because there are ample "seeds" for this type of fear.

If you look at the media coverage of government and politics, you'll see a lot of references to people fearing the policies of individuals or fearing the decisions of government. It's not a far stretch for someone who's unable to contain his fear to seize on those themes and have them build within his psyche, to the point where it becomes all-consuming.

How's that for a purely amateur analysis?

Wonder if I can get a job as a Government Mind Controller? CHECK MEDIA OPPORTUNITIES. How many people would I have to monitor every day? SEVEN. How long is my shift? SEVEN HOURS, WITH FIFTEEN MINUTE BREAK EVERY HOUR, HALF HOUR FOR LUNCH. Does someone else take over when I go to lunch or do my charges just "free range" for an hour? @ LUNCH ALL WORK STOPS. If they put on aluminum hats, can I go on break? ALUMINUM FOIL ATTIRE ONLY WORN AT STAFF MEETING.

----

The interview for the job would be interesting! YOU MEAN THE JOB TEST WOULD BE INTERESTING

Don't ask me how I know this... :rofl:
Harry_Wilshusen
I'm actually a government mind controller in the opinion of some people. Driving carefully, legally and safely is in the minds of most drivers. The government has conditioned and controlled our minds not to do otherwise. The conditioning and brainwashing also includes the consequences when your mind control leads you astray to violate the rules of the road. That's where I come in.

So what you're saying is that when you pull me over you should really be giving the ticket to the incompetent bureaucrat who screwed up my conditioning?

Harry

If feeble memory severs, During the Reagan years, at least here in Calif a lot of mental hospitals closed letting these daft folks have no place to be cared for. We gots tons of them on the street.

It may not be the state of their mental grip as much as the state of our society and how do or don't deal with the whole mental health arena.

Exactly. The mentally ill now live in "re-entry" homes in our neighborhoods.

Archived