IGNORED

Just a thought about Rep Giffords

LeftCoastMan

And she has good taste in motorcycles. :thumbsup:

One small ray of hope: medical knowledge about traumatic brain injuries has been driven forward at a rapid rate because of the Iraq and Afghan wars. Her chances are probably much better in 2011 than they would have been in 2001.

Report says that the bullet only passed through one hemisphere which is good news for mental recovery if she overcomes the physical damage. She may not be the same person, but she should be able to recover most mental ability I believe. The brain is an amazing thing.

Several years ago, I read The Brain that Changes Itself, by Norman Doidge, which remains one of the more memorable books I have encountered in the past decade. I hope that Bob is right; if damage is limited to only one hemisphere, there is a good chance that her brain can rewire a lot of its functions to compensate.

Jill Bolte Taylor's recovery from a left hemisphere stroke is an extreme example of what's possible, and Taylor was about the same age as Giffords at the time of her stroke.

I hope all the best for Rep Giffords, the other injured people, and the families of the deceased and injured.

On an optimistic note, some years ago I had an incident that destroyed all my balance nerves in one ear as well as most of my hearing. Just the act of standing up, much less walking, was difficult for weeks, and walking was a challenge for months. But the brain slowly adapated on its own- no rehab - and I have gone back to motorcycling and car racing, and the FAA cleared me to fly.

I hope this woman has that level of success and more.

There is a lot of hope for her.

First, she was in the trauma center within 38 minutes of being shot. There's a theory that most lives can be saved in a trauma, if they can be in a hospital within an hour, often called the Golden Hour.

Second, she was as lucky as one can be, being shot in the head by a small caliber bullet.

Third, she's fit, relatively young and a non-smoker. These are big positives to surviving a trauma.

Fourth, she's under the care at one of the top head trauma facilities in the country. Also, behind the scenes, there is a lot of big minds in the field of neurosurgery giving advice. She's getting care that is world-class.

If she survives, and I think the physicians at the University of Arizona are being optimistic, a good sign, she has a good shot of doing of returning to a normal life, but with lots of therapy.

On a side note, she's rides her bike without a helmet. I doubt, if she rides once more, that she'll ever do that again.

First, she was in the trauma center within 38 minutes of being shot.

And cared for by peter rhee, Navy trauma surgeon, who unfortunately has taken care of many many GSW victims in sandy places over the past years.

Lets_Play_Two
There is a lot of hope for her.

First, she was in the trauma center within 38 minutes of being shot. There's a theory that most lives can be saved in a trauma, if they can be in a hospital within an hour, often called the Golden Hour.

Second, she was as lucky as one can be, being shot in the head by a small caliber bullet.

Third, she's fit, relatively young and a non-smoker. These are big positives to surviving a trauma.

Fourth, she's under the care at one of the top head trauma facilities in the country. Also, behind the scenes, there is a lot of big minds in the field of neurosurgery giving advice. She's getting care that is world-class.

If she survives, and I think the physicians at the University of Arizona are being optimistic, a good sign, she has a good shot of doing of returning to a normal life, but with lots of therapy.

On a side note, she's rides her bike without a helmet. I doubt, if she rides once more, that she'll ever do that again.

Plus the trauma surgeon was a combat surgeon in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have to believe that this will ground her Husband who is/was the Commander on the upcoming STS-134 shuttle fight.

This just in.

Hopefully Mark will still make his trip.

• 1 month later...

Archived