IGNORED

4th gear vibration

spdyjr

On my '08 RT, I have a vibration in 4th gear of about 30 hz at 40 mph that varies in amplitude at about 2 hz. Since I don't usually spend a lot of time in 4th gear, I never really noticed it until I was on a twisty road that I ran mostly in 4th. I'm getting near the end of my warranty and am concerned it may get worse. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

I don't know about hz's but you were probably using too high a gear, hence the lugging feeling. Just my guess. I would have downshifted, maybe as low as second but keeping my rpm ~4K in that instance.

I don't know about hz's but you were probably using too high a gear, hence the lugging feeling. Just my guess. I would have downshifted, maybe as low as second but keeping my rpm ~4K in that instance.

+1

I find third gear on my 2007 rt my primary gear for the twisties.

Too high a gear, which I imagine the previous posters meant.

I'm guessing 40 mph in 4th corresponds to about 2500 rpm.

An open throttle at anything below about 4k rpm results in the low frequency vibration that I associate with lugging.

I know that 40mph in 4th is too low a gear to put power to this bike. I'm talking about level ground, no wind, just maintaining speed. I was just using that speed as an example speed to characterize the vibration. None of the other gears have this vibration under no load conditions at that rpm.

As the speed is increased under very light throttle, the vibration amplitude does not increase, only the frequency. The road that I noticed this on was Cherohala Skyway (near the famous "Tail of the Dragon"), full of high speed sweepers.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this point.

Yes - I stand corrected. I meant to0 say to HIGH a gear, grab a LOWER gear. You need to let the engine rev HIGHER. :thumbsup:

Ok, damn I'm an idiot. Let's forget about the 40mph. Let's say 60 mph. Still vibrates at the same amplitude only faster.

Anyone else had a similar experience with that one gear?

I know that 40mph in 4th is too low a gear to put power to this bike. I'm talking about level ground, no wind, just maintaining speed. I was just using that speed as an example speed to characterize the vibration. None of the other gears have this vibration under no load conditions at that rpm.

As the speed is increased under very light throttle, the vibration amplitude does not increase, only the frequency. The road that I noticed this on was Cherohala Skyway (near the famous "Tail of the Dragon"), full of high speed sweepers.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this point.

We crossed posts. I had started to respond, then went looking for my owners manual - to no avail - as I thought it addressed preferred RPM ranges. Not finding it, I came back and hit submit, not realizing you'd clarified your origional post.

Sorry.

Ok, damn I'm an idiot. Let's forget about the 40mph. Let's say 60 mph. Still vibrates at the same amplitude only faster.

Anyone else had a similar experience with that one gear?

Never noticed any vibration particular to 4th gear.

Archived