IGNORED

Overtaking

John Bentall

• 2 weeks later...
Survived-til-now

Hi John,

One for a longer study but I did look at some of the clips.....

Do you recall the tractor clip where the "trainee" in front overtakes as the "instructor" behind spot that the tractor is about to turn across in front of the overtaking bike.... So there's lots of beeping on the pathetic horn presumably to try and warn the trainee of his/her error....

The trainee survives and the instructor tells him on the radio to turn off his indicator and never mind the cr*p overtake...

So here's the question:

Why waste time sounding your horn when you've got radio contact with the guy??????????????????????????

"Why waste time sounding your horn when you've got radio contact with the guy??????????????????????????"

Instinctive reaction without thinking...

Takes too much thought to use the dumb horn on the F800. I figure folks can pass, overtake at their discretion. There is always somewhere safe, it just might be a few miles down the road.

Nah, that's too easy

I've probably made a few of the errors seen in those video clips over the past few decades, but I approach passing ("overtaking") with the presumption that everyone else on the road is plotting to take me out. It really takes 360-degree awareness.

In my experience, the most dangerous vehicles too overtake are those that are going waaay too slow. If a car or truck is traveling near the speed limit, you can generally rely on the fact that they're going to continue in their lane and not turn.

It's the guys who are doing 30 mph in a 55 mph zone that worry me. Sometimes it's a person who's elderly or impaired and may not be in full control of their faculties. More often, it's someone who's not quite familiar with their surroundings and is trying to figure out their destination or a place to turn. They tend to make sudden, unsignaled turns, often in your path of travel.

I've probably made a few of the errors seen in those video clips over the past few decades, but I approach passing ("overtaking") with the presumption that everyone else on the road is plotting to take me out. It really takes 360-degree awareness.

In my experience, the most dangerous vehicles too overtake are those that are going waaay too slow. If a car or truck is traveling near the speed limit, you can generally rely on the fact that they're going to continue in their lane and not turn.

It's the guys who are doing 30 mph in a 55 mph zone that worry me. Sometimes it's a person who's elderly or impaired and may not be in full control of their faculties. More often, it's someone who's not quite familiar with their surroundings and is trying to figure out their destination or a place to turn. They tend to make sudden, unsignaled turns, often in your path of travel.

Good lookin out! I will remember that Thanks Mike

Archived