IGNORED

Shotgun Mount?

WaXD

I'm new to the forum, I looked but couldn't find a place for an introduction. I bought an 1150RTP back in November and have lurked here for a while and I finally have a chance to ask a question.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good source for the electric locking shotgun mount that was originally equipped on the 1150RTP. I've tried A&S and Bob BMW to no avail, perhaps you have some ideas.

Can civilians own a shotgun that short? A shotgun mount on our civilian BMWs may help with traffic conditions... :D

Might get you some flack in so cal...not sure where you are from.

I live in WA state and yes it is legal here. I was at the local BMW dealership and they told me they have two in the country that are available for approx. $550, but I don't need a new one and figured there should be plenty out there from retiring police bikes. I'd probably only carry once in a while if I could get it for the right price.

R1150RT_MLC_Response

I was at South West Public Safety in San Antonio last year and they had one on display. I checked their web site but they don't have it listed. Their web address is http://www.swps.com/.

They have lots of cool stuff if you want to lock people up and maybe kill them too.

Southwest Public Safety

3370 Nacogdoches Road #168

San Antonio TX 78217

210-590-9363 Phone

210-590-9482 Fax

You could try this email address: chris@swps.com

The BMW mount is just a Santa Cruz lock with a muzzle support. You can find the lock on Fleabay all the time, for as low as $15, and sometimes you can find one with a muzzle support that you can modify.

Get the lock, fab your own muzzle support, and the whole thing will cost you less than $40.

One thing, though -- DO NOT LANE-SPLIT with this on your motor. You are too wide with the shotgun mounted transversely. That's why LAPD and other agencies came up with a vertical mount (some on the back, some on the front where the baton / flashlight mount goes).

I've seen mock machine guns mounted on Ural sidecars. Heard a good story of an acquaintance from Vegas going to a DVD years ago. Seems display of bangy shooty things in a civilian arena is cause for great consternation. It scares people, in short. He had all of the authorities converging on the campsite after the shocked park kiosk lady called in his arrival to the headquarters. Even got Fish and Game/Park/CHP/Sheriff showing up. Took a real genius to discover machine gun was made out of wood.

And you wanna ride around with a shotgun on your bike? I hope it is still B&W. I hope you don't object to being considered a poser. Blue jump suit, Gold colored helmet, shiny reflective sunglasses, the whole ensemble? What are you hunting in town, 'Cans?

In defense, a friend did go to Alaska on a GS back in the early 80's with a hunting rifle in a big leather scabbard strapped to the bike. Canadian Border Control had no problem with that...at the time.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that you're asking for trouble. You don't see many folks walking around with side arms in plain view, do you? There's probably a reason for that. I think it's considered intimidation (but I'll defer to an expert opinion).

My choice would be a hand-cannon, and a concealed carry permit. You just need to carefully consider the regs in locations you plan to travel through (really easy with the internet), and then behave accordingly.

I took this photo of a Martinez PD bike about 10 years ago. It used a folding stock, stainless Remington 870. Expect to get pulled over if you have one on a civilian bike. I believe the barrel was shortened too. Check you gun laws on overall length before doing this.

martinezbmw.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

We had brief discussions back in the early '90s about adding shotguns to our bikes. I had had enough bad experiences with the high speed weave on KZs to put in a negative vote. My fallback recommendation was for MP5 PDWs, inside our oversized radio box, instead since the A2 was my other weapon anyway. This was before the LA bank shootout BTW. Times have changed.

One problem was that not many people associate the sound of a MP5 going into battery like they do a shotgun racking.

Oh! Oh! Goody! I can start a gun thread.... :clap:

IMHO, there is no sense in carrying a weapon without one in the chamber. Racking a shotgun or a semi-auto means you are already "behind" the bad guy!

In defense, a friend did go to Alaska on a GS back in the early 80's with a hunting rifle in a big leather scabbard strapped to the bike. Canadian Border Control had no problem with that...at the time.

This is still possible. A declaration, and a $25 permit are required at the border. There are stipulations that would be most easily satified by have a buddy on another bike carry the ammo and maybe part of the weapon.

This only applies to long guns.......Hand guns will get you big trouble, unless you are pre approved for target shooting event. Probably less hassle to ship a handgun......Not that doing that would not be a hassle.

All that said, having a long gun identifiable in view on a bike in Canuckastan (Where guns are seriously frowned upon) will probably get you more unwanted attention from civilians and LEOs than would be comfortable......So, if you can't disguise it, I don't think it would be worth it. JMHO.

All that said, having a long gun identifiable in view on a bike in Canuckastan (Where guns are seriously frowned upon) will probably get you more unwanted attention from civilians and LEOs than would be comfortable......So, if you can't disguise it, I don't think it would be worth it. JMHO.
In the brave new world of Homeland Security, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you will get across the border with ANY kind of firearm. They will hold it for you until you return to pick it up on your way out. That suits me fine. We have serious issues here with gang warfare fueled by US guns.
The BMW mount is just a Santa Cruz lock with a muzzle support. You can find the lock on Fleabay all the time, for as low as $15, and sometimes you can find one with a muzzle support that you can modify.

Get the lock, fab your own muzzle support, and the whole thing will cost you less than $40.

One thing, though -- DO NOT LANE-SPLIT with this on your motor. You are too wide with the shotgun mounted transversely. That's why LAPD and other agencies came up with a vertical mount (some on the back, some on the front where the baton / flashlight mount goes).

That's exactly the info I was looking for, WaXD thanks you! I think I'll go with a vertical mounting it looks a little cleaner.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that you're asking for trouble. You don't see many folks walking around with side arms in plain view, do you? There's probably a reason for that. I think it's considered intimidation (but I'll defer to an expert opinion).

My choice would be a hand-cannon, and a concealed carry permit. You just need to carefully consider the regs in locations you plan to travel through (really easy with the internet), and then behave accordingly.

I don't want to be contradictory but I and many other people open carry in WA all the time, it is rarely noticed even though it is open, and it is protected by our state Constitution explicitly. That being said I do it for the convenience be it too hot, going to the range or sometimes just a political statement. There are no weapon free zones in WA state other than places prohibited to 21 & under, banks, federal buildings, courts etc. I am well versed in our states gun laws.

I do carry concealed but like to have options. I don't want to look like a poser bike, I go to the range and to the mountains often to shoot and it would be convenient if I could take the bike and not have to strap it to my person to do so.

Oh! Oh! Goody! I can start a gun thread.... :clap:

IMHO, there is no sense in carrying a weapon without one in the chamber. Racking a shotgun or a semi-auto means you are already "behind" the bad guy!

A rifle or shotty is never the first line of defense, that's why you have the pistol under the belt :/

P.S. I love talking guns as much as bikes!

I've never had too many reasons to go to Canada, (no offense implied) if I did it would probably be to go up the Alcan to Alaska, I hear and would have to do some extensive research before I tried, that you can carry a pistol in a locked case that is inaccessible to the driver. They seal it at the border with telltale tape and if that seal is broken you will have interesting experiences with their jails and possibly the state dept.

I was in Redondo Beach CA this past summer and saw one with a mount for an M-4 or AR15 style rifle. Definite suprise compared to the normal shotgun on the bikes.

Oh! Oh! Goody! I can start a gun thread.

Ooh, ooh, GUNS GOOD, meat heads with GUNS bad, very bad.

Sometimes putting a lot of lead into poor defenseless target or beer can is just sooo satisfying. I always celebrate a good shot with another beer. More targets!!

WaXD, we have unloaded, open carry in Ca. But a LEO still has the probable cause to check and make sure your exposed weapon is unloaded.

You might be interested in this.

Thanks!

:grin: I should have added SA PISTOL :thumbsup:

That's what the XD in WaXD stands for!

Ahh! Just tell 'em you had a Grizzly encounter :rofl: !

I did have a deer encounter on a bike, does that count?

WaXD, we have unloaded, open carry in Ca. But a LEO still has the probable cause to check and make sure your exposed weapon is unloaded.

So I've heard, I'm not a fan of your gun laws but I could sure could get used to that weather.

For what its' worth, I go to muzzleloader shoots at least once a month and I carry a flintlock longrifle on the bike in a blanket case. If anyone ever realized what it was, they never said.

Yeah, but a muzzle loader probably looks like a broom stick in that blanket what with being about 4 feet long and skinny.

It's those modern smallish plastic and dark metal things that looks intimidating

You'd be amazed how many people are oblivious to the presence of a firearm. I open carry quite a bit during the summer b/c the concealed holster is just too dang hot. Sometimes I get big eyes, sometimes a comment of support but most of the time nothing and that's the way I like it.

You don't see many folks walking around with side arms in plain view, do you? .

Well... yes I do depending on where I am at. Have you been in any of the small towns in Southern or eastern OryGun. If not, take a trip there and I'm sure you'll see lots of sidearms in full view. Nothing wrong with IMO...just pointing out that it is a fact of life in some areas.

Yeah, well, even James Arness as the TV cowboy Matt Dillon, father of the Dillon brothers was always taking away the guns of the bubba brothers that came into town looking for fun and sport and trouble.

I kinda favor carry laws myself but it does look funny hanging out like a colostomy bag there, yah know!

I often wonder how the crime rate would go if the preps knew that almost every old lady and smiling man also had a piece stuck in the belt.

Alas it is not that way and even in the world of make believe, Wizards are not to allowed to flourish their wands in the Muggle world. Come to think of it , if one flashes his wand in our world one gets in trouble!

Alas it is not that way and even in the world of make believe, Wizards are not to allowed to flourish their wands in the Muggle world. Come to think of it , if one flashes his wand in our world one gets in trouble!

Maybe you could merge this idea with the "Old member finally legitimized" thread.

----

if someone is interested.

I have an electric shotgun mount that came off of a 2004 RTP It does not have a key, but the electric locks works. The rubber strap has the BMW emblem.

So where are you, how much do you want for it, and can you upload some pix?

Please take this exchange to PM.

thanks,

Andy

It must be a clultural thing!

Why on earth would you want to carry a shotgun on your bike.

This is like a red rag to a bull?

Ah well, I am hoping this is one of those Stateside things that doesn't cross the pond.

Andy

No red rags here Andy :thumbsup: we aren't quite a police state here...yet :eek:

If you come over to, say, a state like TX you will see pick-up trucks with gun racks in them all over the place. :thumbsup:

Why on earth would you want to carry a shotgun on your bike.

1) It discourages tailgating.

2) It goes well with the .45 I'm already carrying.

3) BMW doesn't make a mount for a 40mm Bofors FLAK 7.

In the brave new world of Homeland Security, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT you will get across the border with ANY kind of firearm. They will hold it for you until you return to pick it up on your way out. That suits me fine. We have serious issues here with gang warfare fueled by US guns.

Well, you Canuckians tend to know less about your own laws than most.

Here you go:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp

Well, you Canuckians tend to know less about your own laws than most.

Here you go:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp

And you Yanks tend not to read. I already posted that link (above).

And you missed the point. The right to bear arms does not exist in Canada. The PRIVILEGE MAY be extended to you IF you can document your specific need. For example, you have written proof that you have a reserveration at a hunting resort.

It would be a mistake to assume that you can just show up at the border with a shotgun, pay a fee and go on your merry way.

Ahh!

But surely that reservation/written proof guarantees nothing. You cud just simply cancel your reservation once you have "sneaked in" and do wicked things ;)

But surely that reservation/written proof guarantees nothing. You cud just simply cancel your reservation once you have "sneaked in" and do wicked things ;)
Didn't I say "paid" reservation? Surely no criminal would pay and then not show up... ;)

Archived