IGNORED

New BMW 1600

Francis

Had to crack up when I read the link review...complaining about the pillion seat. And actually comparing it to the barcalounger on the Goldwing.

Get yer fat ass on the Goldwing seat and stay away from the BMW.

You'll never be happy. It's not a cruiser, it's a sport tourer fer chrissakes. And if your wife is that picky leave her at home, she'll be a lot happier.

Is that too harsh?

MB>

Had to crack up when I read the link review...complaining about the pillion seat. And actually comparing it to the barcalounger on the Goldwing.

Get yer fat ass on the Goldwing seat and stay away from the BMW.

You'll never be happy. It's not a cruiser, it's a sport tourer fer chrissakes. And if your wife is that picky leave her at home, she'll be a lot happier.

Is that too harsh?

MB>

Maybe just a tad; then again truth hurts sometimes. :P

While I'm here; I'm pretty jazzed up about the 1600GTL, mainly because it looks to be the first BMW sprot-tourer that I can consider without having to first think about ways to lower it. I think the specs are showing a 29.5" seat height. That's the same as the R1200C. Now, I just have to figure out some way to keep an eye on those guys who buy them at full price then sell them 8 years later with 12K miles on them for 1/3 new price. :lurk:

I saw it at the Long Beach show. I really liked it, but at 6'4", the low seat they had on display was way too low for me. The bike did not have the impression of being way too big like the old LT, and the straight-6 is cool in an over-the-top kind of way. I like all the gadgets, although it is more to go wrong. I want to ride one, hope they have a much taller seat option. i do still love my rt, though, and with only 70k miles, it still rides like a brand new bike!

Now, I just have to figure out some way to keep an eye on those guys who buy them at full price then sell them 8 years later with 12K miles on them for 1/3 new price. :lurk:

Exactly right. In fact, it will probably be half price a lot sooner than eight years. A two-year-old K1200LT can be had for under $15,000.

My '05 R12RT is hardly broken in and serving me well. It would be the height of folly to dump it for a song and pay close to sticker for the 1600. After the new bike is out for a while and its attractiveness and reliability are easier to judge, then is the time to shop for a low-mileage used one for half price.

Now, I just have to figure out some way to keep an eye on those guys who buy them at full price then sell them 8 years later with 12K miles on them for 1/3 new price. :lurk:

Exactly right. In fact, it will probably be half price a lot sooner than eight years. A two-year-old K1200LT can be had for under $15,000.

My '05 R12RT is hardly broken in and serving me well. It would be the height of folly to dump it for a song and pay close to sticker for the 1600. After the new bike is out for a while and its attractiveness and reliability are easier to judge, then is the time to shop for a low-mileage used one for half price.

I here ya on being happy with the current selection in the stable. I recently acquired my 2000 RT with only 12K on the odo and couldn't be happier. My plan now is to keep an eye on the 2nd generation K1600s as I really don't trust the 1st generation of just about everything. Hopefully the 2nd gen. will be out in about two to three years with all of the bugs of the 1st worked out. Then by the time those bikes are 8 to 10 years old, I should have sufficient miles on this RT to justify upgrading to a gently used 1600 at about half price or less.

Of course if BMW had any sense at all they would locate guys such as myself who are dedicated to the brand and allow us to test the new bikes for a year or two at a time in real-world conditions with real-world needs such as a bike that is suited to the vertically challenged (like myself with a 27" inseam). I'd be more than happy to help them out with that little bit of quality control that they so badly need to raise to a much higher level than it has been the past 12 years or so. In fact, they probably would benefit greatly if they would just sign me to a long term contract to ride these new bikes full time and give them weekly reports on how they do in a variety of conditoins as I trek around the country promoting their offerings for the the vertically challenged. It would most certainly open up a huge new customer base for them. :Cool:

Just your typical DIY bike.

Easy valve access. No fancy electronics to break, like electrically latching touring bags activated by a handlebar switch ;) Just give me a freakin' key! Can you imagine this "feature" breaking when you're camping on the Alaska highway?

Seems like a lot of engineering for engineering's sake.

Gotta keep those dealer service areas at work!

In response to:

Poster: outpost22

Subject: Re: New BMW 1600

Just your typical DIY bike.

Easy valve access. No fancy electronics to break, like electrically latching touring bags activated by a handlebar switch wink Just give me a freakin' key! Can you imagine this "feature" breaking when you're camping on the Alaska highway?

I agree, keep it simple. Give me heated grips, heated seat, cruise, adjustable windshield and locking mechanisms on bags that work.

I bought my 02 RT last year for the ease of repair of the boxer engine.So far all systems go,will be adjusting valves and install the updated LS chain tensioner during the cold season.The new 1600 does NOT look as mechanic friendly.Maybe if they included full service free of charge like the cars?

Saw it at the bike show on Friday. Yes it looks typical to me, don't need or want the power or the complexity.

Might look good as an "R" naked bike so you could see 6 pipes and the guts of the thing like a CBX.

Might look good as an "R" naked bike so you could see 6 pipes and the guts of the thing like a CBX.

"tweet tweet," went the little birdie. A couple years and you will be seeing this.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the GT and the GTL in January. The GTL must have had a low seat on it, because I felt like I was sitting on a cruiser. The GT (with a presumably standard seat) felt much better.

I was actually shocked by the horrible, cheap, plastic chrome on the GTL. It looked like the kind of thing you would find on Cavalier in the early 80's.

The chromed plastic windshield mount trim on the show bike actually had a chunk broken out of it and the chrome was all scratched around one of the mounting bolts (maybe a shipping accident).

There are a pair of chrome plastic wings that rotate out (presumably for air flow) under the mirrors. They looked and felt incredibly cheap when you moved them - you could wiggle them loosely on their pivots. The chrome '6' on the cylinder head is also plastic and wiggled loosely if you touched it. It looked like you could easily brush it off by accident with the wash mitt.

The GT left a better impression, without the ugly top box and cheap chrome. Overall, I thought they tried too hard to make it look like the existing RT line. The old LT has more style.

I can see it going the way of the CBX. An interesting collectable in 20 years.

Certainly no stranger than 15,000 views of a Yamahaha bike thread on a BMW board.

And that bike isn't here yet, nor can you get one w/out preorder downpayment.

Not criticizing that bike nor the process, just sayin...

Certainly no stranger than 15,000 views of a Yamahaha bike thread on a BMW board.
You said a mouthful there. Tells ya something.

Hee- hee ... I click on it (tenere tread) every time I log-in here, you know...just to drive up the view count to 25000.

But at the same time I hope that once the Tenere comes to the US and the preorderer got their GOLD and are happy with their new found love, they will go away to their Tenere forum. :) AND immediately start replacing its exhaust with and aftermarket one ;)

Then finally I don't have to read about "how it is the greatest and bestest, most superb and nothing can supersede it" bike it is.

Tenere should mingle with the GS and alike bikes, I myself never considered it a touring or sport touring bike.

Will there be a friction btw. the Tenere and the GS guys?

and as always ... I like to apologize for being mismannered.

'Tay Nay Ray' is too hard to say ;) even for someone who was forced to take French for 8 years of public schooling. 'Ten Er Ray' seems a bit easier. 'Super T' wins my vote.

Archived