IGNORED

MOJAVE TO DV FRIDAY 14

mrduck

There will be the usual suspects gathering at the Lancaster Starbucks, (Ave I,14 Fwy) leaving around 10:00 am, then gassing up at Mojave Chevron around 10:30 or so.

Not going to Olancha this time, (maybe a short stop in Randsburg?) but you WILL get the deluxe tour of beautiful TRONA! :clap:

Any one headed that way, you're welcome to join us. :thumbsup:

Don J :wave:

Last time I rode through Mordor(Trona) the radar at the air port knocked out my Garmin GPS. I had to pull the batteries to get it to shut off and reset. What a garden spot!

I should be there. I was kind of looking forward to doing the 395-190 route again like last year but new experiences are good too.

Are you camping people or high buck motellys?

We'll be staying in a Beatty motel Fri. and Sat. I haven't done the camping thing in MANY years, but it might fun to try that again. Last time was PHX to Yellowstone and back (in jun w/snow) with a fellow AF sgt. No fairings, no rain gear, but I got my first taste of Utah. :):):)

John you're absolutly right, 190 sure is a fun route to get there! Still gonna be in Mojave around 10:30, then go up 395 and do lunch in Olancha.Maybe a stop in Darwin after lunch! We'll see Trona on the way out Sunday.

Notacop, can't imagine Trona Airport having anything other than a windsock over there, you might have got pinged by something they were testing from China Lake!

And no, no campouts for this guy anymore...so does this mean you're gonna be there?

Don J :wave:

Last time I rode through Mordor(Trona) the radar at the air port knocked out my Garmin GPS. I had to pull the batteries to get it to shut off and reset. What a garden spot!

Happened to me too in 2008. Within about 25 seconds of the GPS going out, we got strafed by some 4-jet engined (military) plane heading up Panamint Valley...

Took the same resolution to get mine working again.

Almost thought I took a wrong turn and ended up by Groom Lake... ;)

Within about 25 seconds of the GPS going out, we got strafed by some 4-jet engined (military) plane heading up Panamint Valley...

Isn't that fun, many years ago a Phantom crept up on me as I rode up the valley and absolutely blasted by not more than 50 feet off the ground.

It sure put me to right size.... the jet that overtook me looked BIG.

I know what it feels like to be a bogey on his screen.

Interesting, As I remember it, I didn't turn my GPS on till Pinecrest or some such....

Nah, I don't think I'll make it, I haven't planned ahead and made reservations or nuttin.

The only jet straffes I've encountered was a bit north of there camped out at a mine near the top of a mountain that overlooked Saline Valley. We were enjoying the view when a couple Top Gun jockeys came flying by the top of the hill upside down waving to us.

There seem to be a number of radar domes all over that bit of countryside for the Top Gun exploits. 3D coverage of the training.

This hot weather prediction has got me thinking again, for sure.

But now they are predicting wind, high wind, or more for Friday, so again, I'm out.

But in honor of all you fine characters meeting out there, I will add a few days onto my Yosemite trips later this year.

dc

Hmmm,

Lunch in Olancha sounds much warmer than breakfast in Olancha.

The Missus and I will try and meet you hooligans at the Ranch House if we don't run into ya somewhere along the way.

Glad to see you're gonna make it Dwight! :wave:

Archived