IGNORED

The golden Voice

yabadabapal

Have you guys seen this amazing story about a homeless man

who gets appraoched by a local newscasster to speak for spare change and the video goes viral with 14 million views online in

48 hours. I've followed this story. He is a magnificent guy.

I love to see people succeed and this has made me quite happy!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/07/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main7222232.shtml

I am happy for him.

But I wonder why such stories get so much attention, I really do. Our streets are FILLED with very talented, highly intelligent people who would have a lot to offer our country if they could only stay sober long enough to get something done. When I see stories like this one, I wonder what it is we think of the homeless; do we assume they are inferior and therefore somehow deserve to be where they are?

Everything I am saying about the homeless also applied to people in ghetto's, prisons, insane asylums, and gangs, too. Many of them are very talented people -- they're not dummies! Given the right forum they would shine as well. Maybe that's what's news about this story; one highly talented person managed to get that forum to let his talents shine.

I am very pleased for Ted Williams (strange he'd find himself in this position after that stellar career with the Red Sox :grin:), but there's nothing about this story that I find to be all that remarkable.

He is a magnificent guy.

No he's not. He's got a record as long as a yard stick, and for some pretty nasty and recent things.

He is a magnificent guy.

No he's not. He's got a record as long as a yard stick, and for some pretty nasty and recent things.

Well, I can't argue with that David, because its true. But, I still think he's handling this in a grateful manner. What I find magnificent about him is that he is admitting his mistakes, sharing his life, and trying to facilitate a personal resurrection. If nothing else as Beemerman2k mentioned:

Everything I am saying about the homeless also applied to people in ghetto's, prisons, insane asylums, and gangs, too. Many of them are very talented people -- they're not dummies! Given the right forum they would shine as well. Maybe that's what's news about this story; one highly talented person managed to get that forum to let his talents shine.

A compilation of his mug shots:

revisedtedsmall.jpg

I truly hope this guy's life takes a turn for the better, but I'd be checking my pockets if I found myself in the same room with him.

He is a magnificent guy.

I do truly hope however this time his is able to make his turn around stick. Only time will tell.

All the media gushing on this is about to make me puke. We have 9.5%+- unemployment so I'm fairly certain they might be some better qualified and more deserving individuals for the jobs he has received. Heck, most to the knuckleheads in the media probably know several themselves. But, this one makes them "feel so good about themselves". Paging Dr. Oprah.

Going to the strip tonight so I'll look to see if they have established an over/under on when his next mug shot will be available.

His past is certainly littered with anti-social debris. But he's out and free and needs to work.

What I'm glad about is that he's found within himself the one thing that makes him marketable. And I'm not talking about his voice. It's his will. His will to work. His will to improve, to make himself and his life better. It's taken him time to discover it, and no doubt his difficult life led to and perhaps accelerated the revelation.

What I find most impressive, though, is that there isn't an entitlement or social program in sight. The man is taking the skills God gave him, adding them to those he's acquired on his own (he went to school to perfect his radio voice), and is going to do the best he can with them. His hopes are that some day he can pay his bills and have an apartment. No demand for anything. No cries of foul. No suggestion of inequality or life's/society's unfairness. Just a chance to do the best he can.

Fuggedabout his voice. His will and his attitude are what I admire most about who he is today.

Great story! I certainly wish him the best.

He looks like a cross between Obama and Geraldo Rivera. Mix-up at birth?

His past is certainly littered with anti-social debris. But he's out and free and needs to work.

Fuggedabout his voice. His will and his attitude are what I admire most about who he is today.

+1

Once we become honest with ourselves and each other, intelligent choices become available and abundant.

All the media gushing on this is about to make me puke. We have 9.5%+- unemployment so I'm fairly certain they might be some better qualified and more deserving individuals for the jobs he has received. Heck, most to the knuckleheads in the media probably know several themselves. But, this one makes them "feel so good about themselves". Paging Dr. Oprah.

So, what’s so wrong with a feel good story every once in awhile? There certainly is no shortage of feel bad stories. I’ll take one where something goes right for someone any day!

So, what’s so wrong with a feel good story every once in awhile? There certainly is no shortage of feel bad stories. I’ll take one where something goes right for someone any day!

Nothing at all wrong with a feel good story and I'd like to see them more often. As others have mentioned I truly hope this guy has finally got it together and actually becomes a productive member of society.

All I'm really saying is that this thing going viral with millions of hits, appearances on numerous talk shows etc... is just WAY over the top and I get really tired of the main stream media taking stuff like this viral. I could see this as a human interest story on the local news but that is about it.

Perhaps a sign of troubles ahead, the gent got into a verbal altercation with his daughter at a Hollywood hotel yesterday, prompting a police response and a trip to the local station. No charges, but it does point out the difficulties that he may face as he tries to transition from a totally screwed-up life to one of respectability.

What's with the picture on row 3, column 2? A joyous occasions is it?

Someone mistook him for Carlos Santana and gave him a free hit of LSD :grin:

Archived