IGNORED

picking locks

elkroeger

Last week I didn't have my book and I got bored on my lunch break. So I watched a few videos on youtube about picking locks. Later I fashioned a home-made lock pick tool by grinding down an old hose clamp. Today, using the stuff for the first time, I broke into my own front door, opening both the deadbolt and the knob. Took me about 5 minutes.

HOLY CRAP, it's that easy???? Guess it's time to buy some new locks. Any suggestions?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Get one of them newfangled ones that uses a keypad and security code instead of a mechanical key.

.40 caliber S&W model 4013.............

heh heh heh... I'm covered on that end. It's that bad guy slipping in when I'm not home that bothers me....

Nice n Easy Rider

heh heh heh... I'm covered on that end. It's that bad guy slipping in when I'm not home that bothers me....

Big Bad Dog (or at least one that sounds bad!) :grin:

Mitch - not sure about the key pad + security code models (didn't know of their existence) but the keypads are easily and quickly cracked - at least the ones I've seen. Each button covers for two numerals which drastically reduces the number of combinations. All one needs is that the number pad be located in an area where they won't be noticed and about 15 or 20 minutes to run through number sequences.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch - not sure about the key pad + security code models (didn't know of their existence) but the keypads are easily and quickly cracked - at least the ones I've seen. Each button covers for two numerals which drastically reduces the number of combinations. All one needs is that the number pad be located in an area where they won't be noticed and about 15 or 20 minutes to run through number sequences.

Schlage has 10-button locks. With four numbers, that's 10,000 possible combinations. It's not 100% clear from their instructions, but the locks may also force a delay between attempts. That could be a PITA if you fat-finger your entry code, but it'll keep the riffraff from trying all ten thousand codes in an afternoon.

The bad news is that they all seem to include a mechanical key as well. :dopeslap:

Most criminals I have encountered during the past 30 years do not have the intelligence to operate a lock pick.

Pry bars, large screwdrivers, window breakage, cinder blocks and a boot planted firmly and squarely on the door jamb are the burglar tools of choice.

Some simply drive their stolen vehicles through a store front.

I support gun ownership for self-defense but you probably won't be home to use it when it happens.

Most criminals I have encountered during the past 30 years do not have the intelligence to operate a lock pick.

Pry bars, large screwdrivers, window breakage, cinder blocks and a boot planted firmly and squarely on the door jamb are the burglar tools of choice.

I only had one personal experience with having a home broken into, and that was exactly what happened--they just busted through a door, tearing up the jamb.

Some simply drive their stolen vehicles through a store front.

I support gun ownership for self-defense but you probably won't be home to use it when it happens.

+1. The guy breaking into your house doesn't care that you know he was there......So he will splinter whatever is in his way.

The first place I would spend money is on re-enforcing the door jambs with steel angle. Then bars or whatever to keep someone from coming in a window.

But the best first line of defense is a dog, in my book. Size is not as important as attitude.

Incidentally, that also is a great lock picking tool as well!

:rofl:

Big dog.

Alarm.

2 steps in the right direction, IMO.

Dogs are not very good for this purpose unless very highly and specifically trained. Anyone can easily eliminate the threat of any untrained dog without much effort.

Even very highly trained dogs can be taken care of rather easily with the proper knowledge.

Might be useful to get a few criminals to go to the neighbor's house, but if you are depending on canine protection that isn't very highly trained on a continual basis, you are just kidding yourself.

JMHO, with some knowledge of dog training.

True, but if your burgling intruder is ready to "eliminate the threat of an untrained dog" most likely there is a reason they chose your house and even a trained dog wouldn't help.

Yes, I've trained dogs and had ones that would follow verbal/nonverbal commands wrt neutralizing threats.

IMO, most criminals would rather avoid confronting an unknown dog and most dogs will raise a ruckus if there is an intruder.

I guarantee you would think about an easier target if you heard the sound my dog makes when a stranger draws nigh to the premises.

He isn't as big as I am but is larger than the Mrs.

:lurk:

Nine out of 10 convicted burglars say they would avoid a home with an alarm sign according to some sources.

Nice n Easy Rider
Dogs are not very good for this purpose unless very highly and specifically trained. Anyone can easily eliminate the threat of any untrained dog without much effort.

Even very highly trained dogs can be taken care of rather easily with the proper knowledge.

Might be useful to get a few criminals to go to the neighbor's house, but if you are depending on canine protection that isn't very highly trained on a continual basis, you are just kidding yourself.

I've heard many times (and believe) that the 'average' B & E thief who hears or sees a dog in a house is likely to pass on it and look for an easier target. I have two 70-pounders that give great imitations of ferocious barks and when someone comes to the door they jump up against the windows like they are going to go through them. A high-end kind of pro might not be deterred but then again, I don't think I live in the kind of neighborhood that those pros are likely to be working.

Nine out of 10 convicted burglars say they would avoid a home with an alarm sign according to some sources.

Those aren't the ones you have to worry about...

Of course, but statistics show that staistics shouldn't cause one to worry, right?

:wave:

Against crimes of opportunity, it's often enough to keep a low profile and appear to be more trouble than your neighbor. Bars, lights, dogs, gates. These things keep the crackheads away.

Against premeditated crimes where you're specifically targeted, you should assume that the thief will eventually get what he wants. More and better locks, alarms, security patrols, busy/irregular household traffic, safes for valuables, video surveillance. These all help but they can all be defeated given enough time. Still, when well implemented, they can significantly delay a thief.

So do what you can to identify and reduce risks but also keep paying your insurance premiums.

I don't know about your area, but in ours, the thieves are generally little skinny meth-head punks. The biggest liability of having a dog is, if the dog is big enough, the little wastes-of-skin can fit through the doggy door.

Yeah, if you are dealing with jewel thieves, or anyone half-way bright, I am sure they can deal with the dog. I know I could. But we are not talking about keeping serious thieves out.....Just the dregs of society looking for enough cash for more drugs.

My niece recently came home from work after dark to find her back door jimmied open. Upon further inspection she located her rottweiler in the house with a big smile on his face and a blood trail leading out through the back door. Nothing was missing... at least nothing from the house. Not sure about the burglar's anatomy :grin:

Of course, but statistics show that staistics shouldn't cause one to worry, right?

:wave:

82.5% of statistics are made up on the spot.

My niece recently came home from work after dark to find her back door jimmied open. Upon further inspection she located her rottweiler in the house with a big smile on his face and a blood trail leading out through the back door. Nothing was missing... at least nothing from the house. Not sure about the burglar's anatomy :grin:

Ah, finally a story with a happy ending.

I only had one personal experience with having a home broken into, and that was exactly what happened--they just busted through a door, tearing up the jamb.

Our experience the broke window frame for a basement window, slid out the glass pane (yes we reused it) and crawled in. There was evidence they tried to kick the door, but it wouldn't give. That was 3 houses ago, it never felt safe again!

I don't think the dog is the deterant, rather the noise they make. Burgulars like to come and go unnoticed. House next door without a dog is an easier target, and off they go.

How about rigging your stereo to play a recording of large dogs barking triggered somehow by motion sensors. Maybe even a gun shot recording.

How about rigging your stereo to play a recording of large dogs barking triggered somehow by motion sensors. Maybe even a gun shot recording.
I used to have an electronic barker that was triggered by somebody coming to the door, it sounded very realistic. Problem was if they went to the back there wasn't a sensor to set it off...

I have outdoor lights on the corner of the house that are triggered by motion. Maybe it can be wired to that. One on each corner.

It occurs to me that my lock is probably original to the house, and thus, 30 years old. Perhaps the problem relates more to my lock being old and worn out, rather than simply easy to pick.

I've never had the house broken into, but 3 times for the car. Once was a busted window, one was a popped lock and one was a coat hanger through the door. I'll never understand the motivation for the busted window break in - Here's a rusty, 20 year old corolla parked close to the university, and it's got significant un-repaired body damage. Surely I saved so much money on my car that I've loaded it up with hi-fi gear, cash, Vaurnet shades and beer. What a dumb-ass. I've always been paranoid about theft, so none of them actually made off with anything good.

That's solidified my opinion that most burglars are actually juvenile delinquents or drug addicts who are either just busting into stuff for a thrill, or they're so high or desperate they don't know which end is up.

Anyway, I always thought one of those motion-sensor sprinklers would be good for reducing unwanted traffic to the front door. I'll bet that most burglars don't want to get wet either.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS

Thats one area that I think the law is way to lenient on criminals.

Anyone breaks and enters gets an automatic 10 years, home invasion using a weapon, life with no parole.

I am not sure if it is an urban legend but recall a story of a fellow who had two rottweilers trained that anyone could enter his apartment with absolutely no molestation, however the dogs would only allow people to leave if he was there.

I am not sure if it is an urban legend but recall a story of a fellow who had two rottweilers trained that anyone could enter his apartment with absolutely no molestation, however the dogs would only allow people to leave if he was there.

I worked with a guy whose BIL had a mutt that had that philosophy by nature. The guy I worked with spent about 4 hours on BIL's back porch, waiting for someone to come home and release him. This was before cell phones.......

I think that is why this would not work well now. Every oxygen thief in the world has someone they could call to come with a weapon to take out the dogs. Better (I think) to train the dogs to attack on entry.

Ah, finally a story with a happy ending.

Love it

I had to replace my 80 year old front windows with tempered glass after one of my dogs went through one to get at someone approaching the door. She's actually pretty harmless, but you'd never know it from the fuss she makes. I'm a little bothered by the fact that the house next door is vacant after burning out on new year's eve. One more reason for a thief to not fret about the noise my dogs make. I have no fear of a break-in when I'm home, since I'd have ample warning of any approach, but all bets are off when I'm gone, especially since the dogs tend to come with me when I'm out and about.

Archived