IGNORED

Oil Filter wrench for 2010 R1200RT: I found a good/cheap one!

Chip

I've been looking for a reasonably priced oil filter wrench since the 600 mile checkup on my '10 12RT.

BMW wrench is $100

Several folks sell their fancy ones in the $32-$39 range (e.g, Sierra BMW, Ilium Works, and others).

Today I found a great one that only cost $7.96 (plus shipping).

It's so good and cheap that I've ended my search.

Are you ready? Wait for it....wait for it....

It's a Harley-Davidson Oil Filter Removal Wrench, Part number 94686-00. A buddy of mine has one. I tried and it works great! He got it at Hales Harley (www.haleshd.com).

You can order it on-line. Go to the web site and search in the Security and Maintenance section for just about any of their bikes (I selected a 2010 Ultra Classic).

I hope this url works from here:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/dwp/gma/dwp_gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442031551&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309387921&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309387921&dwp_dealerid=110316&bmUID=1294360152986&bmLocale=en_US

Who would have thought you could buy anything from a motorcycle dealership (much less HD) for $7.96.

I see its a strap type wrench, so I assume is is somehow recessed to slide up into the very limited space surrounding the filter. How about torquing it back to spec?

How about saving $8 and buy a KN-164 oil filer $13.46 that uses a 17mm wrench to remove it instead.That way U can torque it too.Just a thought.

How about saving $8 and buy a KN-164 oil filer $13.46 that uses a 17mm wrench to remove it instead.That way U can torque it too.Just a thought.

That is what I used on my Harley.....

I believe I remember reading posts on this board about that 17mm nut shearing off in some instances. The filter(s) could've been torqued too tight to begin with but not a good situation to deal with.

I see its a strap type wrench, so I assume is is somehow recessed to slide up into the very limited space surrounding the filter. How about torquing it back to spec?

You can get the wrench into the limited space. No problem to remove the old filter and put on a new one.

As for torquing to spec....I must admit that I hand tighten and then tool tighten just a bit more. Probably wouldn't work for NASA but I haven't had any problems in over 35 years of changing my own oil.

Of course, I'm just a skinny runner who couldn't over-torque the valve cover bolts with a cheater bar :)

How about saving $8 and buy a KN-164 oil filer $13.46

That's cheating! But it's exactly what I did today. Same filter listed in the book for the F800. I was using a huge channel lock plier 'cus mine hangs out the front like a big pimple on the chin.

I found a cheap steel one at auto zone. Took the new filter with me and found the right size. about 7 dollars.

i also hand tighten.

BINGO!!!!! Now thats usin your head!!!! Why would you wanna spend an extra 7-8$$$ everytime you change oil & filter ??? Just get the right tool for the job and be done with it. Theres plenty of filters out there that do the same thing as K&N. As a matter of fact HIFLO filters are made in the same factory/go down the same assembly line and split off to get their respective cases/packaging.
  • 2 months later...

Found a trick for removing the KN-164:

Use a 17mm SOCKET and GENTLY TAP it onto the filter before attaching the ratchet handle. Seats the socket and gives it some extra bite for removing.

BTW...just bought 3 of them for 11.76 each + FREE SHIPPING at an amazing website.

K n N filters are handy but you still end up with a filter that does not filter all that well... This is a tired, old subject that pops up every now and then. Too much data to try and quote but in short. Engine designers specify what they want in a filter... and it matters. The K n N does not meet BMW specs.

Just my .02

Found a trick for removing the KN-164:

Use a 17mm SOCKET and GENTLY TAP it onto the filter before attaching the ratchet handle. Seats the socket and gives it some extra bite for removing.

BTW...just bought 3 of them for 11.76 each + FREE SHIPPING at an amazing website. Price dropped to 11.66 on 3/15/2011. You can figure out which website. Correct? PM me if you can't.

Archived