IGNORED

Advanced Training Schools

pmdave

Have you had a positive experience with one or more of the independent (non-MSF) training schools? If so, I'd like to hear about it. Name of school, lead instructor, email contact, etc.

pmdave

I was a full-fledged instructor for Keith Code and would be glad to talk to you about the pluses and negatives of the program.

Yes.

Lee Parks Total Control

through www.christineskickstart.com

Sorry, can't remember the lead instructor

~5/2007

www.bigapplemotorcycleschool.com/

Diane and George Ortiz both lead instructors and owners.

I had great experiences at both Keith Code's and Freddie Spencer's schools. I expect you know where to find Keith's, and Freddie's is no more.

Paul Mihalka

I did many-many of Reg Pridmore's CLASS schools. It is on a race track, but it is not to prepare you for racing, or going extra fast. It is about bike control and pushing your and the bike's limits as far as you are comfortable. I called it my personal yearly tune-up. I always went with the bike I use every day, with no changes in setup. Like I took it to the track with the same ME880 tires I used on the street. I wanted to explore the limits I have on the road.

markgoodrich

Start with Lee Parks's school. He's franchised it, so there should be one not too far from you. It's a one day, low speed deal. I don't mean he teaches you how to ride at low speed.

Then check your nearby track day operation. They almost all have a school. Cheap, close, and usually better than you expect.

I have to disagree (a very rare occurrence) with Paul about Pridmore's school. It's a glorified track day, in my opinion, with too many students, too few instructors. I did a two-day version several years ago, and came away thinking the instructors had a great time tearing around Laguna Seca while I was trying to figure out what a double apex meant.

Spencer's school was much better. Freddie was essentially a figurehead. Nick Ienatsch was the lead instructor, and I believe he was most responsible for developing the curriculum.

Nick is running the same curriculum at the Yamaha Champions School at Miller Motorsport Park outside Salt Lake city, with the same core group of instructors. Nick's an excellent teacher, if a little impatient with beginner morons (I was the class moron).

David can tell you all about the Code deals. Schwantz runs a school I'd love to attend, I think at Barber.

I'd start with Parks. Of course, I did it in reverse order. And I still can't keep up with Whip. I'm not what you'd call a natural...but I'm very enthusiastic.

Dave-

I'm not experienced in track days, but for actual road riding I had the time of my life at Jim Ford's Zen Rider's Workshop http://www.ridersworkshop.com/ (search the site for my published review article in Motorcycle Consumer News). For parking lot drills I just took the NJ franchise of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's Ride Like a Pro course http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ and have an upcoming article coming out about that. The Palladino course beats MSF (which I've taken 9 times) hands down, and Ford's course is on another galaxy.

-MKL

markgoodrich
HI. What about the MSF Advanced RiderCourse? Any comments about this? Thanks.

---John.

The ARC is not comparable to any of the courses mentioned, in my opinion. It's worth taking if all you've ever done is take the MSF. My opinion only.

On Pridmore's CLASS School......

Kathy and I took Reg's two day course a few years ago.... We're considering doing it again...He and his instructors make it a great learning experience and very enjoyable..Fun and well managed....I commend you wanting to take one of these schools to tune up skills and we can always learn... :thumbsup:

Note that Reg will be at Oregon Raceway with his school in August..Not too far from you......Here's his website:

http://www.classrides.com/index.html

See Paul Mihalka's previous post here...Couldn't be a better recommendation.... :thumbsup:

Just a side note for those who don't know. Nick Ienatsch is the guy who did many of the test and interviews on the TV series "Twist the Throttle". He was the guy with salt and pepper hair, not the guy with the dark kinda curly or wavy hair.

Nick was the guy who seemed to always have the best, most technical input and was always enthusiastic, he was a great teacher.

I have not been to his school, but I can only imagine he would be a great instructor.

That program a few folks around here teach, yeah, that one... If there was anyone wanting to teach it again, I'd certainly help coordinate and one and would love to help as a junior assistant if I could be of value.

I can always be the bad example! Right Shawn?

Another one for Keith Code's school here. Best $$ I've spent riding including the purchase of any bike.

His books are excellent as well.

That program a few folks around here teach, yeah, that one... If there was anyone wanting to teach it again, I'd certainly help coordinate and one and would love to help as a junior assistant if I could be of value.

I can always be the bad example! Right Shawn?

I would love to take one of those, let me know if anyone arranges it this year!

HI. What about the MSF Advanced RiderCourse? Any comments about this? Thanks.

---John.

That's what I was referring to when I said "beats MSF hands down."

-MKL

Brain fart. Was just reading BMW-ON and realized that ARC is the newer course. I was referring to the old-style Experience Rider Course (ERC). Sorry 'bout that. I haven't yet taken ARC.

-MKL

You just can't go wrong with the Lee Parks Total Control course. I am a MSF RiderCoach and this course helped my cornering skills more than any other and additionally gave me the knowledge to recognize what I did poorly and how to fix it. The course is taught in a lower speed, safe environment, because we learn more efficiently that way. It will give you the skills and confidence to apply at track days or the performance schools in your riding future. Do an internet search for Lee Parks Total Control and you will probably find a school close to you.

• 2 weeks later...
I was a full-fledged instructor for Keith Code and would be glad to talk to you about the pluses and negatives of the program.

David is perhaps being modest but he also organized a course that is still taught from time to time by members here called Ride Smart. It's not structured like the organized track schools and it's not a performance oriented course in the sense that racing and timing are not stressed. I found it to be a most useful session for a dedicated road rider wishing to improve their skills. To reiterate David's offer, I think you'd find a dialog with him quite rewarding. I know I found his course to be so.

Archived