IGNORED

anyone been to the Georgia Mountain rally????

leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of trying to plan my trips for the year and am thinking about going to the Georgia Mountain Rally is Hiawassee Ga. I was wondering if anyone has been and what they thought of the rally. Lots of vendors/food etc? It looks like it draws several hundred bikes a year.

It's supposed to be a good riding rally but not many vendors if I recall.

Bring rain gear, it's notorious for raining during the rally.

leeinmemphis
It's supposed to be a good riding rally but not many vendors if I recall.

Bring rain gear, it's notorious for raining during the rally.

yeah that time of year it's a crap shoot. I'm talking to my wife about pulling one of my sons out of school on that Friday and riding out to it.

Its nickname is the Georgia Mountain Regatta. The GMR is kind of low key, in an area with a lot of really good riding. I've only been there as a tourist; i.e., ride in for a quick look around at what the vendors have.

What they say...

it will rain, why is a mystery, something to do with virgins in Georgia, but it will rain.

Not a problem if you're prepared for it.

+1 on the rain, it will be rainy or at least cloudy at that time of the year. Fall is a better time to ride in that area. Hiawassee is a great little town and so is Helen which has traditional German architecture.

+1 on the rain, it will be rainy or at least cloudy at that time of the year. Fall is a better time to ride in that area. Hiawassee is a great little town and so is Helen which has traditional German architecture.

I bought a one year old K12000RS in Atlanta back in 2001 and spent my first night in Helen with it. Nice little town and the riding in the area is very nice.

Wow, consensus is that it rains. Now can anybody tell from experience whether or not it is a good rally?

I also have thought about doing an East coast loop from the left side of the country and would make time for this event. Anyone actually have anything constructive to add?

Paul Mihalka

OK, let me try to be constructive. Rain: Yep, it can rain. It usually is around the same weekend as spring BRR/El Paseo. I don't remember any BRR/El Paseo that was rained out. I went to the rally regularly before bmwrt.com/El Paseo/BRR came around. I always liked it. I visited the current location a year ago from BRR. The location is VERY NICE. Ample grassy camping at a lake shore. Some vendors. If it wasn't for BRR, I would go again.

leeinmemphis

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am going to try to make it up there. I'm just looking for a few rally's to go to from Spring to Fall. I just wanted to make sure it was worth going. Trying to figure out a few that are kinda close to Memphis so I can carry my boys to a few of them.

I have been twice, 2001 and 2002, so it has been a long time... in fact, when I went, it was at another park near Hiawassee Ga, but since then it has moved to another location. Both times I went, it rained the whole event. I haven't had a chance to go back, but my riding friends have gone from year to year, and from what I recall, it has rained on them more than not. It is kinda the group joke, go in early May for the rally and bring your rain gear. Don't know why that is, but, like Seattle, Hiawassee in early May is rain season.

I went to the GMR for the first time last year. It did not rain at the rally but 50 miles north it was pouring. Nashville TN was flooded that same weekend, remember that one?

The rally site is very very nice. Tent campers simply set up amongst the RVers in a nice campground along a lake. Plenty of shower houses, the roads are all paved and we didn't feel crowded or packed in at all. The vendors set up in an established vending area that looks like a frontier town of sorts with tall long trunked trees providing shade. This facility is a music park with an indoor amphitheater. The tech sessions are held downstairs near the stage, registration is upstairs. I plan to go again next May and meet my motorcycling snowbird friends.

I am surprised none from GA who has been there and organizes it is responding.

I have not made it there because of conflicts every year but the area is among the very best for riding in all of US. The GA mountains and the NC and TN adjoining areas are fabulous. The rain I know nothin about but itis warm then already so it should not disturb too much, just make it more memorable. I will try to make it this year but if memory serves me right about timing I again have to be somewhere else that weekend, work interferes with pleasure...................

Welcome to GA to ride.

h

Lee, just a thought, why not come to this part of the world for the unrally in August and the very next week go 40 miles north to our rally in Boone, NC. It will be our 34th year and is sponsored by the Charlotte BMW MOA. Boone is a adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway, is a college town and the temps are 10 deg cooler than in Charlotte. Lots of great roads to ride in North Carolina, SW Virginia and eastern Tennessee.

Here is the link if you are interestede: http://www.carolinasbmwmoa.org/rally.html

Archived