IGNORED

New Life for an Old R1100RSL

Limecreek

For the internal flexible lines did you use a product intended for total immersion in fuel? If you purchased the expen$ive BMW parts then you are in good shape, else you should use an appropriate substitute (available locally and still pricey, but of course you don't need much.)

For the internal flexible lines did you use a product intended for total immersion in fuel? If you purchased the expen$ive BMW parts then you are in good shape, else you should use an appropriate substitute (available locally and still pricey, but of course you don't need much.)

Yep, it is the 'spensive, BMW, fuel loving stuff. I don't know how it will get along with Ethanol, but that is another story.

Hi Seth...good to see you around these parts.

Well I think I'll be OK as long as I let our esteemed panel of environmental scientists handle the climate change debates.

The first electrical check came through without any problems.

If you remember I replaced the original main wiring harness with a used one off a very low mileage bike. That and all the repairs to switches, the front loom and the starter left me with a feeling of trepidation as I reached for the ignition.

Everything works as it should--ights, starter, interlocks and the dash.

We are not about a week away from putting a tank back on the bike and getting her started for the first time in 15 months.

HERE and HERE are handy dandy articles on submersible FI fuel hose types (30R10 spec). I post info on interior (30R10 spec) and exterior (30R9 spec) FI hoses at least twice a year, I reckon we should have this on a sticky LOL!

Paint should be ready this weekend. I'll assemble and mount the tank and see if she starts up. If all goes well I may be posting a video on Sunday afternoon.

Final shots before paint, new windshield and fresh seat.

142515990.jpg

142515991.jpg

142515993.jpg

142515995.jpg

142515997.jpg

Oil? Don't see any showing in the sight window...

Not sure if you are pulling my leg, but yes there is plenty of oil in there. :thumbsup:

However, it is a fair question if you know the back story to my nick name. :grin:

roger 04 rt

I'm still in awe of your project limecreek. It has led me to repair many minor cosmetic flaws while I'm doing other work. The last touch up was the vinyl glued to the fairing under the seat which had started to peel. How do you recommend polishing the exhausts?

I'm still in awe of your project limecreek. It has led me to repair many minor cosmetic flaws while I'm doing other work. The last touch up was the vinyl glued to the fairing under the seat which had started to peel. How do you recommend polishing the exhausts?

The header on the RSL has a silver ceramic coating on it from Jet Hot. They should remain that way for a very long time.

On my R12RT I used fine grit dry/wet sand paper followed by polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease.

The RT header was stainless and not chrome. Don't use sand paper on a chrome header.

I haven't used it, but have heard good things about Rub n Buff for chrome.

roger 04 rt

On Chrome I've had great results with 0000 steel wool.

For the stainless pipes, I've heard that the steel wool can leave residue that oxidizes quickly. I guess that makes sense. It did take the layer of oxidation off initially and doesn't seem to have come back too quickly.

The reflective bag kit arrived and is now on the RSL - thank you Fernando.

large.jpg

The seats came back. Just a recover until I decide what I want on there--RDL. The red is dead!

142530094.jpg

I completely forgot about this particular oil head quirk--the center stand in competition with the shifter.

142530095.jpg

And yes, there is oil in there.

142530098.jpg

The panels did not come back this week. I did get the tank back yesterday afternoon, but the rest of the pieces will be back late this week.

medium.jpg

I'll put up a final post in a couple of weeks.

It's been a fun project and I appreciate all of the guidance here and through the private messages.

I hit the go button and she fired up. :clap:

The first thing I found was a leaky quick disconnect. The female side is plastic and must have a crack somewhere--easy fix.

The second thing I found was oil leaking out of the left cam chain tensioner; the updated replacement tensioner. I'll have to pull the left TB to have a closer look in the next day or two.

The first thing I found was a leaky quick disconnect. The female side is plastic and must have a crack somewhere--easy fix.

The second thing I found was oil leaking out of the left cam chain tensioner; the updated replacement tensioner. I'll have to pull the left TB to have a closer look in the next day or two.

Was there ever any doubt?

Galactic Greyhound

Well done - the bike looks great. :clap:

The photo record you have provided covering the rebuild will also be of benefit to many others for reference purposes - thank you for taking the time to do this.

Was there ever any doubt?

Uh, yes....guess I just got lucky.

142530098.jpg

Is that dirt on that bolt?

:grin: I think you are starting to understand my sickness Andy.

To be honest, I've looked the other way on several cosmetic items, including the paint. I just have flat out run out of funds. It is funny how one can live with something once the cash pot runs dry.

Well done - the bike looks great. :clap:

The photo record you have provided covering the rebuild will also be of benefit to many others for reference purposes - thank you for taking the time to do this.

Here are a few more photos from the work accomplished last night.

Tail

142647410.jpg

Nose

142647411.jpg

Cockpit

142647413.jpg

Completed project.

142654292.jpg

I'll put together some before and after shots this weekend.

Next on the list:

1. Shake down rides

2. Inspection

3. Cure lean surge

4. Adjust paralever bushing

5. Ride

roger 04 rt

It's beautiful! I can't believe how good it looks. I was showing my wife the before and after photos. It was hard to convince her that it was the same machine (and she wondered aloud if I'd be attempting a restoration--no). Well done.

Looking at your checklist, I'll be interested to see the approach you decide on for curing the lean surge.

RB

Bruce (Bedford)

Awesome!

I have really enjoyed watching your progress, I hope you are as fulfilled as you have made us feel - now get out & ride the beast!

Thanks so much you are an example to us all, if nothing else then for the picture record.

Bruce

Needs some accents..pin stripes..perhaps the decals...Gold and Blue would really set it off.

Oh yea, gotta take it for a rain ride to "spruce it up a bit" also.

:/

roger 04 rt

My red 04 RT came with detailing like that. I made it a condition of sale that it be removed. ;) ;) ;)

The white 1100RSL looks perfect as it is.

The newly refreshed RSL got her first taste of bugs, rain and Hill Country roads during a 200 mile ride yesterday and did so without a complaint.

The sound and feeling of the single spark boxer and the characteristic handling of the chassis brought back found memories of my '02RT. The bike is nimble, comfortable, (even with the stock seat)fuel efficient and just a hoot to ride. I am very please with how it turned out.

Would I do it all over again? Yes. Did I expect to spend what I did? Heck no, but I do not regret it one bit.

I hope you had as much fun following along as we did working through the project.

That's it. Last post...see you on the road.

Before and After Photos

131522619.jpg

142694981.jpg

131522620.jpg

142694971.jpg

131544219.jpg

142694987.jpg

131522625.jpg

142654298.jpg

131866864.jpg

142694956.jpg

Cheers!

Very nice. When do we get to see it in person at one of our gatherings?

That may be a while. It will be in SLC next month for the WSBK races. My son in law will be on it.

No UN for me, nor Torrey this year, but we will return to Silver City/Hannigan Meadows in October and I'll be on it then.

congrats on the finished product. it really looks great. it as been my pleasure to drop in on the posts and follow the progress.

ride safe.

Beautiful, but needs a picture in a field of Texas Bluebonnets.

Good on ya for a fantastic restoration.

Hopefully the dogs didn't get out too much. :grin:

Way To Go Greg!!!!!!!!! Not everyone has the tools to accomplish this feat, and I am not talking bout hand tools. The tools I am talking bout are patience, mechanical aptitude, dedication and most important......DOLLARS....Good on ya!

• 11 months later...

Archived