IGNORED

Gerbing heated liner, old type vs. new microwire price

blackyam

Hi. I searched for "Gerbing," but didn't see any post with an answer, so I'm sorry if I just missed it (poor searching) or if this is a FAQ.

Question: I saw a new old-type (pre-microwire) Gerbing heated liner on eBay in the size I want for $135 with free shipping. A new microwire Gerbing is $199. Is the microwire worth the difference in price? Thanks.

---John.

I doubt you'll be any warmer with one over the other, though you'll get warmer faster with the microwire. Shop around a bit and compare; your budget and need to have the latest and greatest technology will be the determining factors.

Jay

I could see it making a difference in the pants, gloves or socks, but not in the jacket. But this just my opinion; not based on facts or experience.

---

Having used both, I can say the newer micro wires seem more comfortable. The older design is less comfortable in comparison. The wires are much more pronounced and heating is less even. I've had a couple repairs done on the old style and it needs to go in again for the left arm not heating.

The new style does still have it's hot areas. The controller they offer is a must. It's pricey though worth it. I got the dual controller and can make the jacket and gloves exactly the right temp.

Some folks would like a more defined controller with distinct steps on the control but I get by with the way it is.

Generally, other than buying a BMW, a Gerbing product will make your riding experience a better one.

My older type gerb was replaced under warranty with a new micro-wire unit. I can't tell the difference, aside from the sleeve works on this one. I suspect that the new wiring is cheaper to make, or it has a lower failure rate. I'm skeptical that they changed the design of something that really worked well already, with something that works "even better". (don't get me wrong, I like both jackets I've had. I just question the real motivation to change things....)

Buy the older variety, save a few bucks, and then do yourself a favor and buy the heat-controller unit. Those heat-trollers are so nice, it's just stupid not to use one.

they have a lifetime warranty on the wiring. And they're pretty good about it.

My older type gerb was replaced under warranty with a new micro-wire unit. I can't tell the difference, aside from the sleeve works on this one. I suspect that the new wiring is cheaper to make, or it has a lower failure rate. I'm skeptical that they changed the design of something that really worked well already, with something that works "even better". (don't get me wrong, I like both jackets I've had. I just question the real motivation to change things....)

Buy the older variety, save a few bucks, and then do yourself a favor and buy the heat-controller unit. Those heat-trollers are so nice, it's just stupid not to use one.

they have a lifetime warranty on the wiring. And they're pretty good about it.

Thank you for the compliments about our warranty and how well we stand behind it. Working for Gerbing's, that's nice to hear. But your suspicion that our new Microwire (which is stainless steel) is somehow less expensive than the copper wire that everyone used for years, isn't accurate. To be specific, Microwire is more expensive (stainless vs. copper). We've just decided to absorb that cost for the first couple of years.

Microwire came about as the result of one of Gerbing's many military contracts, specifically for Special Ops. We were tasked with developing an even more rugged, more comfortable, faster-acting heating system. I'll spare the details, but several years later we had developed a new wiring system for the military. It was thinner, lighter, stronger and heated faster than anything that preceded it. Its durability was unsurpassed. We patented it and trademarked it under the name "Microwire." Every garment we make now has our Microwire Heating System.

As to which is more comfortable, that's a personal call. For most, the thinner and almost imperceptible wires in the latest products makes a noticeable difference. However, for others, it's a toss-up. Certainly everyone appreciates the quicker heat response and the smoother overall heat. But is that enough for someone to pay the extra amount for the new product vs. the discounted price of a discontinued product? Only they can answer that. Whichever they choose, however, we will back it with our Lifetime Wiring Warranty.

My "old" Gerbings gets too hot.

I want my $$$ back.

:P

:wave:

The old one works.

You won't be sorry.

But if the $$ doesn't matter get a new one.

Simple.

...Microwire came about as the result of one of Gerbing's many military contracts....

Interesting.... Well whaddaya know, I stand corrected.

It's just like riding in the car with my wife.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. After taking it all in, I decided to purchase an old-style discounted new Gerbing's heated liner. I look forward to using it in these chilly temps. Cheers.

---John.

I have both. One that is ten years old and I picked up a new microwire this past fall. The newer version is superior. Mine is far more comfortable, no wires to feel. It heats up almost instantly and has less hot spots. The material also seems a bit more robust. I had to be very careful with my old one for it would tear if it got caught in the outer jacket zipper. My old one still works, I replaced it primarily because I have lost 25lbs and it fit rather loose.

After taking it all in, I decided to purchase an old-style discounted new Gerbing's heated liner...

---John.

You're gonna love it. Mine is perhaps the single best motorcycle accessory I own.

Jay

It is absolutely worth it. I tried both back-to-back and actually tested both back-to-back for MCN. I've posted the lab results here several times and can do so again if you like. The Microwire heats up more quickly, more evenly, and is in general more comfortable because the wiring is less pronounced in the garment. It is easily worth the extra money and in fact you can find many, many barely used "old style" Gerbing's for sale as people upgrade. I just sold my own, in fact, though I do not own a Microwire liner.

I will agree with the statement that a good controller is also key, although I find the Gerbing's controller relatively awful for motorcycle use compared to the Exo Stormrider I tested for MCN. The Stormrider is half the price, twice as easy to use with gloved hands, and 10x easier and cleaner to mount. When on it looks OEM, and it's off in 10 minutes. No velcro, no homemade hodge-podge jobs as you have to do with the Gerbing's. There is no comparison. It works fine with Gerbing's and all other coax-connection gear I tested. After testing it I immediately sold my Gerbing's dual controller. Highly recommended.

-MKL

Thanks, everyone, for the additional comments. I appreciate them. However, what's done is done: I'd already ordered the old-style, so I'm going to have to love it now. I just have never to try the microwire style, then I will never know what I'm missing.

Thanks again. And please continue to comment if you'd like. I love learning about this sort of stuff.

---John.

...Microwire came about as the result of one of Gerbing's many military contracts....

Interesting.... Well whaddaya know, I stand corrected.

It's just like riding in the car with my wife.

I would disagree. Your wife is no doubt much better looking than a crusty old curmudgeon like me.

I've never tried the old-style liner, but the Microwire liner is probably the best motorcycle-related purchase that I've ever made. It turned my three-season RT into a year-round motorcycle. For something this good and that makes this much difference, $200 is a very good deal.

Unlike others, though, I've never had a need for the temperature controller. The on-off switch is plenty good enough for me, and it's much easier to fiddle with while riding.

Hi. I received my discounted pre-microwire GHL. Yes, with my Roadcrafter on, I can feel the (bulky) wires against my left ribcage, but not anywhere else. I hope that I get used to the feel and not notice it after a little while. Of course, before I received the liner, daytime temps had been in the 40s and 50s F; this weekend it should be in the 60s, so I may not get to test its toastiness yet.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

---John.

Hi. I received my discounted pre-microwire GHL. Yes, with my Roadcrafter on, I can feel the (bulky) wires against my left ribcage, but not anywhere else. I hope that I get used to the feel and not notice it after a little while...................

---John.

You will not notice the wires after a bit, other than when you first put it on. It should do well for you, my old style one sure has.

rad, thanks for the encouragement.

When I was in college, we lived in a student housing apartment that was literally a stone's throw from some railroad tracks. At the beginning we would pause whenever a train rumbled by, not only because of the noise, but also because it would shake the whole apartment. After a while, however, we stopped always noticing the passing trains. Cheers.

---John.

Archived