IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road 3

99Roadster

Looks like these are about ready to become available. Anyone have any info? Dig that funky tread pattern. Pinned for studs? :grin:

pilot_road_3.jpg

10221_normal.jpg

Firefight911

Interesting to see how the siping manifests itself. Squirm out near the edge of their design envelope?

The PR2 was so good I hope they remain so.

russell_bynum
Interesting to see how the siping manifests itself. Squirm out near the edge of their design envelope?

I have yet to try a Michelin moto tire that I don't like. Pilot Race on the track bike. Pilot Sport on the Tuono. Pilot Roads on the BMW.

We also run Pilot Sport 2's on Lisa's 5-series BMW cage...after running basically every other tire that is available for that car...the PS2 is by far the best one.

They may be a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but the Frogs do know how to make kick ass tires.

Interesting tread pattern on that front tire. Looks like a racing rain tire.

Firefight911

They may be a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but the Frogs do know how to make kick ass tires.

I do wish you'd run for office so I could vote for you!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

russell_bynum
They may be a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys...

Gotta be my favorite Clarkson quote...

Clarkson stole it from The Simpsons.

They may be a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys...

Gotta be my favorite Clarkson quote...

Clarkson stole it from The Simpsons.

Richard was the first person I ever heard use that line. The poor lady he was talking to was not impressed.

BTW....I am a big fan of Michelin Products.

The PR3s will be on my list.

L

Wait a minute guys, I thought the Original Pilot Roads were great but that the Pilot Roads 2's were not as good ( so I never tried them) and that you couldn't get them in an 18 inch rear anyway???? So I went to Continentals--Conti Force-- and like them even though (for some reason?) they don't show any chicken strips. Nothing changed in the way I ride so I just thought the Pilot Roads maybe left a little more rubber out there on the edge as an added safety measure which, except in an emergency, was wasted on me. What is the real scoop here? And why do they keep making that front tire to scoop water inwards instead of throwing it out? Anyone?

And why do they keep making that front tire to scoop water inwards instead of throwing it out? Anyone?

Hey! Any woosie can ride a tire that pushes water out to the edge. Where's the fun in that?

:grin:

Dave_zoom_zoom

And why do they keep making that front tire to scoop water inwards instead of throwing it out? Anyone?

Better braking traction?

I don't know what size tire your bike takes, but I like the PRIIs. There is an 18", but maybe it's not your size.

I would say their reputation on this board is pretty good. Some complained about the price when they first came out, and some of the high tire mileage folk don't think they produce as well as the ME880s. But on the whole I think a lot of folk here that ride aggressively like them.

In so far as I can tell they force water out, but then IMHO the grooves on modern sport touring tires don't really do much anyway. They are way too infrequent. I figure it's the compound that does the work. But that could just be my imaginings. I certainly have no evidence.

...and some of the high tire mileage folk don't think they produce as well as the ME880s.

Maybe so, but the 880s are scarey on wet pavement. I've run 5 sets of 880s and have mounted my first PR2. Maybe I'll run PR2s in the winter and 880s in the summer. I can only hope I can get my mileage back up to two sets of tires per year.

I also like the PR 2's. I used to run ME 880's on my Goldwing. Mileage on the 880's ranged from 26,000 to 30,000 km on the rear tire.

Is this a frikkin' tire thread?

If so, I'll add that I really DO miss the orig Pilot Roads..I used to hum along with the front tire at 85... :grin:

Happy New Year to all...

MB>

You're kidding right? The PR2's don't nearly stick to the road as well as they should. I've never liked the PR2 tires on my RT. I was a huge fan of the Avon Storms on my '04 (no idea what the new Storms feel like), and I'm really liking the feel of the Pirelli Angels on my '09 (jury is out on longevity though). But the PR2's simply never had the stick that either of these tires had/have, which leads to confidence and comfort. feel the machine, be part of the machinestatement>. ;)

Wayne

You're kidding right? The PR2's don't nearly stick to the road as well as they should. I've never liked the PR2 tires on my RT. I was a huge fan of the Avon Storms on my '04 (no idea what the new Storms feel like), and I'm really liking the feel of the Pirelli Angels on my '09 (jury is out on longevity though). But the PR2's simply never had the stick that either of these tires had/have, which leads to confidence and comfort. feel the machine, be part of the machinestatement>. ;)

Wayne

I never liked the way the front felt, but the back tire had amazing grip. I know a bunch of squids that loved em on the track.

The 2CT was my fav on the front.

The Avon Storm were good too, I went through a few sets of them before the PR2s came out.

Firefight911

Just as Whip said, the combination of a PR2 rear with the 2CT front was THE ticket on my 13GT. Unreal levels of grip, great wear, and huge levels of confidence in all conditions.

"World War era French military weapons for sale, Good condition, rarely fired, only DROPPED twice..."

I have never tried any of the michelins on a street bike myself, but I just mounted up a set of Pirelli Angels yesterday and so far the feel really good. They feel like they are breaking in nicely, the seem to stick really well, especially for a new tire, and they transition from center to left or center to right effortlessly and roll from left to right smoothly whilr still tracking true on the centerline.

If they wear well I will really like them and they will be a good value.

Just as Whip said, the combination of a PR2 rear with the 2CT front was THE ticket on my 13GT.

Hmmm... Maybe that's where I err'd. I never tried that combination, but a PR2 and PR2 was not the zen of confidence it should have been.

Wayne

I love Michelins and I love cheese. Does that make me French?

I use Michelins exclusively on all my vehicles. But it has been a long, long time since I have seen a "Made in France" embossed on a sidewall. They have all been good......But I don't think being French has anything to do with the quality.

BTW, I like cheese, too........But I don't eat much........It is too good at plugging the flow in my arteries.

Just as Whip said, the combination of a PR2 rear with the 2CT front was THE ticket on my 13GT.

Hmmm... Maybe that's where I err'd. I never tried that combination, but a PR2 and PR2 was not the zen of confidence it should have been.

Wayne

Agreed

The front never felt planted for me, I really don't know why.

Life was good with the 2CT.

I only have about a 1000 miles on them but must say I am quite happy with my Bridgestone BT-023 dual compounds. Excellent grip so far. I cant say how many miles I will get out of them but they were alot cheaper than the PR-2's

Maybe so, but the 880s are scarey on wet pavement.

Maybe the bias ply ones are scarey but that hasn't been my experience with the 6 or 7 radial 880s I've had on the back of my RT (I use a Z6 on the front) and I've spent a lot of time in the rain with them. The PR2s can't match the 880 for mileage. I was grtting about 6k out of a rear PR2; I get about 11k out of the 880.

Paul Mihalka

Maybe the bias ply ones are scarey but that hasn't been my experience with the 6 or 7 radial 880s I've had on the back of my RT (I use a Z6 on the front) and I've spent a lot of time in the rain with them. The PR2s can't match the 880 for mileage. I was grtting about 6k out of a rear PR2; I get about 11k out of the 880.

The very first ME880 were bias/belted made for the K1200LT. I wanted higher mileage tires for my R1100RT so I got a 17" rear wheel from a K bike (perfect fit) to replace the 18", and used several sets of them. I am conservative in the wet, never any problem. I had them on the race track at V.I.R. with Reg Pridmore's CLASS. Roughed them up to the edges and the rear tire had a green/blue stripe around it from heat. No problem with sticking/traction.

I don't get it how some can feel a difference in traction or sticking on any high quality modern tire. For me I could note a difference only if I would be very heavy handed on the throttle while way leaned over in a turn, on a very powerful bike like a big K bike.

Tires are funny things. I'm on the 2nd set of PR2's on my 800ST. the first set went 11k. The second I'm at 4500 and I'm not sure they will do as well.

Previously I has Avon Stradas. First set went 11K miles and the second set lasted 4500 miles, Go figure. It may be that a level of confidence is built up on the first set and the second set is ridden with that confidence and ridden harder thus causing the fun to rub off on the ground at faster rate.

DaveTheAffable
...I can only hope I can get my mileage back up to two sets of tires per year.

There's a quote that makes me jealous. Ahhh... the open road.

markgoodrich

Whip, did the 2CT last many miles? My last front PR2 made it about 11,000 miles, although the last 2500 or so were increasingly horrifying. The rear PR2 made it to Utah and back, plus a little more, before I tossed its square profile in the dead tire pile...that was two up, loaded down, but still, disappointing longevity.

The 880s on my RT were radials. There were times I thought the rear tire was going flat. That's how bad it was on wet pavement (for me).

My last set of PR2's went about 9,000 miles with maybe 1-2k left but needed to replace them due to an upcoming trip. The front was howling badly in corners by this time. I didn't realize how bad they really were until they were replaced - much linear cornering compared to the previous where they would just suddenly drop off.

From what I have been able to research from trolling the Internet is that the PR2's will still continue to be offered along with the 3's. Also, not all sizes will be available until around March.

Firefight911
Whip, did the 2CT last many miles? My last front PR2 made it about 11,000 miles, although the last 2500 or so were increasingly horrifying. The rear PR2 made it to Utah and back, plus a little more, before I tossed its square profile in the dead tire pile...that was two up, loaded down, but still, disappointing longevity.

I'm not Whip, but..... HERE

The 880s on my RT were radials. There were times I thought the rear tire was going flat. That's how bad it was on wet pavement (for me).

Interesting. I ran a few sets of PR2s before switching to Metzeler. I didn't find the PR2s to be any more confidence inspiring on wet pavement than the Metzelers.

markgoodrich

I'm not Whip, but..... HERE

I know Whip, and you, sir are no Whip. Thx for the link to your review...I never get those many miles out of the rear PR2, I'm impressed. I think I'll try the Power front next time.

Hey Mark

I am Whip.

I like the 2CT front and the PR2 back cause of the way they feel.

When I had the K12R Sport, and that set up, I thought I could do anything.

The mileage was really an extra bonus.

I also like changing both tires at the same time. The 2CT seems to wear at about the pace as the PR2 rear.

I wish I had a bike that could use that set up.

Happy New Year!!!!

markgoodrich

Thanks, Larry...and Phil, I assume you know I was kidding? I was using my phone, and couldn't figure out how to insert a smiley-thingie.

I wish I'd taken photos of the pair I took off a few weeks ago. The front, with about 11,000 miles on it, had a great big hard ridge down the middle, and the sides were literally scalloped...concave, out to the strip of chickens. No wonder I'd had so much trouble getting the bike to turn in. And the rear was, as mentioned, squared off with less than half the miles.

Limecreek's been running the new dual compound Avons, I think; be interesting to see how his mileage works with them.

Limecreek's been running the new dual compound Avons, I think; be interesting to see how his mileage works with them.

What model of Avon is Greg using? (It's so hard keeping up with all the "new" tires the manufacturers toss at us, and I can't quite tell from the Avon site what's new).

Wayne

What model of Avon is Greg using? (It's so hard keeping up with all the "new" tires the manufacturers toss at us, and I can't quite tell from the Avon site what's new).

Wayne

Storm2. Same great dry and wet weather handling of the Storms and about 2K more in mileage, so far.

I'm on my second set of Avon Storm 2's. Avon Azarro's & their next generation Avon Storm (3 sets) before that.

For me, always great milage on the front (7k-10k) no cupping, just a solid tire, all generations. Tire pressure usually @ 38-39 lbs.

Not so with the rear tire; best milage was on the original Azarro's (front & rear excellent, usually a few thousand more on the front), noticeably less with the Storm rear tire (Azarro rear tire averaged 7,100 miles; over three sets, the Storm rear tire milage fluctuated between 5,100 - 5,600 miles while still maintaining high front tire milage).

Storm 2's on now, second rear tire. Front at 7,300 & looks/feels fine. Changed our rear at 5,200 miles, not exactly the advertised 10%+ milage improvement claimed at introduction.

Still, it's been the best wet/dry tire I've ever owned. Track day, Saturday ride with friends, long wet ride home or playing in the corners, I have great confidence in them.

Is it worth having to change the rear out at twice the rate as the front? For me, it is. Doesn't mean I don't complain about it or that I like doing it, but the assurance I have (not forgetting common sense) in these tires is worth it.

Obviously there are a lot of variables that influence tire milage but the consistency of me, on the one bike with same-same tire pressures (38/39F - 41-43R) maintained over multi sets/generations of Avons is a decent frame of reference.

Will try a set of PR 3's for the UnRally and/or a California trip later this year just so I can get there & back on one set but otherwise will stay with the Avon's.

Lastly, @ 215 lbs. + saddle bags always full, I expect weight might have a little to do with my rear tire milage issues. Thought I better mention that before someone else did. :)

Archived