IGNORED

Welcome to "Snitches 'r US(a)"

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Driver's snitch app for iPhone

Driver data collected by DriveMeCrazy is submitted to both insurance companies and local law enforcement. Hopefully, taking the anonymity out from driving will lead to less aggressive drivers and help to create safer roads.
What would prevent someone from reporting a neighbor because they play their music too loudly?

Is this a good reason to blow up all the cell towers and go back to living life without instant communications? You, with the ear bud, put it where the light don't shine!

What a stupid idea - like that's going to have any legal standing with anybody! You would be better off taking a video of the bad driving with your phone.

russell_bynum
What a stupid idea - like that's going to have any legal standing with anybody! You would be better off taking a video of the bad driving with your phone.

My hunch is that the cops probably can't do anything with the data, but insurance companies might be a different story? I dunno.

It's a terrible idea any way you slice it.

Driver data collected by DriveMeCrazy is submitted to both insurance companies and local law enforcement.

Also from the article "... Additionally, the next time someone catches your eye at a stop light, you can flag them as 'cute' and check back later to see if they saw your message. "

Interesting potential situation created by those two statements :Wink:

russell_bynum

Driver data collected by DriveMeCrazy is submitted to both insurance companies and local law enforcement. Hopefully, taking the anonymity out from driving will lead to less aggressive drivers and help to create safer roads.
What would prevent someone from reporting a neighbor because they play their music too loudly?

I just loaded it to see how many people have flagged me for being aggressive. :Cool:

It thinks my truck was just flagged as a "good driver" a few minutes ago.

In Mountain View California.

400 miles away.

markgoodrich

I just loaded it to see how many people have flagged me for being aggressive. :Cool:

400 miles away.

I wonder if they'll ever catch the guy who stole it? Have you called your insurance company yet?

russell_bynum

I'm sitting in the truck in Newport Beach, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the data in the app may not be entirely accurate.

Huh.....I guess this is meant to replace the anonymous call to 911 in which you report the jerk that cut you off (And pissed you off) for waving a gun around in their car. Not that I have done that.......

In California it's now illegal to use a hand operated cell phone. If one were to submit a phone generated image of a transgression, wouldn't they be guilty of a similar transgression? Self incrimination, I love it.

In California it's now illegal to use a hand operated cell phone. If one were to submit a phone generated image of a transgression, wouldn't they be guilty of a similar transgression? Self incrimination, I love it.

Yes, probably not a good idea to take video while actually driving for a number of reasons, but if you have a passenger...

but if you have a passenger..

I was hoping for that! Or one of those helmet cams that more folks seem to use.

That Tesla display looks a bit vague for finding gas stations. I hope there is an "IN" button! I've got Auto Club States and Provinces that look like that! :dopeslap:

CoarsegoldKid

400 miles away.

Good driving Russell.

Is this a good reason to blow up all the cell towers and go back to living life without instant communications? You, with the ear bud, put it where the light don't shine!

A world of scribes, quill pens, and couriers wouldn't be that way; a fond wish!

Yeah, yeah; I understand the inherent contradictions in that statement and my life. Nevertheless, only small minds are hobbled by consistency. :grin:

Pilgrim

russell_bynum

I believe that is incorrect.

It is illegal to use the hand-held phone to read/write text-based messages.

I don't recall seeing anything in the law about taking videos.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Great, so it's OK to use your phone cam to make a video of the driver in the car next to you as he pounds out a text message.

:grin:

russell_bynum

Great, so it's OK to use your phone cam to make a video of the driver in the car next to you as he pounds out a text message.

:grin:

Yup.

My hunch is that the cops probably can't do anything with the data, but insurance companies might be a different story? I dunno.

I don't see the insurance companies doing much with it either. When they revise their actuarial tables, how do you think they'll weigh "gossip"? Is being annoying to others on the road correlated with higher or lower claim rates? If it were my insurance company, I'd classify those who sent in the reports as sales leads. "We noticed that you're surrounded by bad drivers. Wouldn't you feel safer if you improved your coverage?"

I wonder how long it will be before this app starts to spam state legislators.

Harry_Wilshusen

I don't see the insurance companies doing much with it either. When they revise their actuarial tables, how do you think they'll weigh "gossip"? Is being annoying to others on the road correlated with higher or lower claim rates? If it were my insurance company, I'd classify those who sent in the reports as sales leads. "We noticed that you're surrounded by bad drivers. Wouldn't you feel safer if you improved your coverage?"

I wonder how long it will be before this app starts to spam state legislators.

In some states they are allowed to raise your rates if you don't pay your cable bill on time.

Harry

Archived