IGNORED

Glove care questions

Quinn

What do you use to clean and condition your riding gloves? I've got a pair of "waterproof" gloves drying out beside the woodstove and wonder if there's some type of treatment I should be using to keep them flexible, waterproof, and sweet smelling.

---

Here is a link to the Held glove website on care of Held gloves. No association just remembered that they had instructions on their website.

http://www.heldusa.com/glove_care.html

From my own experience, air drying without heat is the best for all leather. In the case of riding gloves, they may feel stiff after drying but once worn after they soften up even more than prior to being wet.

I have used Propert's All Purpose cleaner and conditioner. Kiwi also has a leather lotion that restores the oil in leather. Any good leather conditioner should work.

Lexol makes a good leather cleaner and a leather treatment. Have used this product with non-insulated leather gloves (and boots, jackets, etc) to help clean and preserve them. With the insulated stuff, the Held directions seem to be pretty much on target. Also, air drying instead of heat drying seems to be better as was pointed out above.

Foxy

I've got a pair of winter gloves that I've been wearing for close to thirty years. All I've done is wear them, but I've been CAREful not to lose them.

What do you use to clean and condition your riding gloves? I've got a pair of "waterproof" gloves drying out beside the woodstove and wonder if there's some type of treatment I should be using to keep them flexible, waterproof, and sweet smelling.

---

I thought I'd toss this out......................when my leather gloves get wet, stuffing them loosely with newspaper and allowing them to air dry seems to keep them in good shape.

I cannot recommend using a microwave to dry them........tried that once on a trip and regretted it! :P

Archived