IGNORED

Overnight Camping to end the Year!

cali_beemer

Well, I got an email form Nick (Deadboy) on this site around Christmas time. He too was looking for a reason to get out and go for a ride. The weather around here in Nor cal has been pretty rainy for the last few weeks. He was thinking if an overnight camping trip. At first I was reluctant. I don’t normally camp, I didn’t have any time off from work and it’s been cold.....brrrrrr...Well Nick convinced me I should just take the time since I am starting a new job tomorrow and I was working on my two weeks’ notice, after all, what are they going to do, fire me? I realized I have the camping gear and I would just have to tolerate the cold. Nick figured the break in the weather was Thursday and Friday. So after some discussion we were going to ride down to Big Sur along the coast and camp. The temps were getting low at night and Thursday morning I got a call from Nick. He was concerned about the ice on the roads near his house. So, he trailered his bike down to my house and would ride to our meeting destination.

nickstrailerqueen.jpg

I still had to work that morning and attend my dad’s retirement party. So around 1:30pm we ready to roll. The bikes ready to go:

atcattlemans.jpg

It was a quick ride to Monterey where we found a small diner. As the sun was going down, it was definitely colder. After filling up with some diner food, we got back onto HWY 1 and continued down to Big Sur. Nick already had a campground in mind and it was a great place right off the road and under the tree layer. Pulling into the campground it smelled like a Christmas tree lot, damp from all the rain and completely covered by the redwoods. After some riding through the mud puddles, we found a good campsite. First item of action was a campfire.

100_3507.jpg

It was a night of hanging out by the fire and smoking cigars. It doesn’t get much better than that.

aroundthecampfire.jpg

Nick getting warm by the fire:

100_3503.jpg

When we pulled into camp it was completely dark and nothing more than a few flashlights and a cheap generic LED lantern. The morning gave new light to our campsite.

campsite2.jpg

campsite.jpg

After a quick campfire in the morning we packed our gear and headed up along the coast. The weather along HWY 1 was amazing. Clear, sunny and much warmer than the area around Sacramento.

alonghwy1.jpg

We had breakfast in Carmel and then a quick little stop in Monterey.

Monterey.jpg

We stayed on HWY 1 up to Half Moon Bay where we decided a short little coffee stop was in order. Some bystanders were kind enough to get a picture of the both of us.

atthecoffeshop.jpg

After that, it was a short little hop over to San Francisco and a straight shot on I-80 home. While it was a fairly short trip, it was a well needed escape in this miserable winter and a great little break before starting a new job. It’s quite possibly the best way I have ever had a year come to an end. I will let Nick chime in if I left anythign out.

That about covers it.....a great way to say goodbye to 2010 for sure. We did time the weather well as it snowed at my place the next night....but we stayed nice and dry the entire trip.

I would say that is "another" way to tie down a bike.....I have had nothing but success using the method shown in the photo (canyon dancer), and the official BMW method is different still.

Not really, more of an optical illusion from the angle I took the photo at. It wasn't touching the deck of the trailer, but I do leave it down in case the bike decides to fall that way. My road is so steep and twisty for the first few miles I actually checked it twice before I got to the freeway....

I would say that is "another" way to tie down a bike.....I have had nothing but success using the method shown in the photo (canyon dancer), and the official BMW method is different still.

Actually it's the BMW approved method,also listed on a number of dealer sites.

Don't think the handlebars are designed for those loads.

However,it's your bike and use whatever works for you,was just offering up

some info.

JR356

Interesting, but then again last time I checked BMW says the brakes, wheel and clutch circuits are only serviceable by the dealer (clearly not true) and a number of folks on this very site claim only a dealer can install tires correctly and safely.....also not true in my experience but “recommended” never the less.

Anyway the trip way fun and the bike made it to Ryan's and back on the trailer safely.

Nice ride wish i knew about it could have tagged along been trying to get down there to piffer state park. i think i know the camp ground you stayed at. coast rides are fun and lots to see. as for the cold ya its been wet and very cold for us here in the bay area but we can still ride it beats have snow :}....enjoy the ride

Did ya get up on CA 35 Skyline Blvd either coming or going? I had the pleasure of riding a small part of that road last Aug. It's a beauty.

Did ya get up on CA 35 Skyline Blvd either coming or going? I had the pleasure of riding a small part of that road last Aug. It's a beauty.

Not on our route, but I have ridden it before and it is a great section of road.

Archived