IGNORED

At what speed does the 12RT become unstable?

chromenomad

Maxed the RT out several times on the Autobahn and it is just as stable at that speed as going 60mph. Things go past a LOT faster which takes some getting used to...

And what, pray tell, was that maxed out speed??

I regularly run 85+ on my RTs with top case. I have NEVER noticed any speed related stability...but that depends on one's definition. The RT is not a cruiser....my cruiser never moved around at speed with wind, passing 18-wheelers, etc, and the RT does a bit - it weighs 600 lb where the cruiser was 150% that weight. Don't confuse a light bike with an unstable bike.

An RT that feels genuinely unstable at high speeds has a problem somewhere - suspension and/or tires would be my guess.

I use 36/42 lbs front/rear all the time. My ESA is set on "Comfort" (I'm an old man :grin:)

Hmm . . I think that would do it!

I was hoping for an update from the OP about his trip to have the bike checked out.

I would highly recommend 40/40 front and rear other wise your front tire "will" start cupping and wear prematurely. Mines fine up to 130(so far).

I regularly run 85+ on my RTs with top case. I have NEVER noticed any speed related stability...but that depends on one's definition. The RT is not a cruiser....my cruiser never moved around at speed with wind, passing 18-wheelers, etc, and the RT does a bit - it weighs 600 lb where the cruiser was 150% that weight. Don't confuse a light bike with an unstable bike.

An RT that feels genuinely unstable at high speeds has a problem somewhere - suspension and/or tires would be my guess.

I use 36/42 lbs front/rear all the time. My ESA is set on "Comfort" (I'm an old man :grin:)

I have to say that I have experienced bad some behavior in strong cross winds with the RT that I never did on my 800+ lb cruiser. That extra weight was good for something.

I run pressures of 38-40 in the front and 42 in the rear. I have never noticed my RT to be unstable.

Similar here. 36-40 front, 40-42 rear. No ESA, stock shocks, no top case.

Have done a buck ten over the Skyway bridge (2-3 miles at speed) with the OEM Z06s, done bursts near there on the new PR2s. No problems or vibrations in 9k miles so far.

I guess I want to know the answer to that question too. I know my '05 RT is fine from 5 mph up to 136 mph. No reports of being unstable. That's with the 49 ltr top case. I know it had good tires, though.

(I'm not gonna say who was riding the bike. Nope. Not gonna say.)

I guess I want to know the answer to that question too. I know my '05 RT is fine from 5 mph up to 136 mph. No reports of being unstable. That's with the 49 ltr top case. I know it had good tires, though.

(I'm not gonna say who was riding the bike. Nope. Not gonna say.)

Wink Wink

( :) )

Under 3mph gets kind of tricky.

:D:rofl: The obvious and non-controversial answer to the OPs question!

Maybe not what the OP asked,but after 38 years of riding my RT is the most awkward bike at parking lot speeds I have ever owned When changing direction,turning around etc. I am 6' 2" 250 lbs very large frame. I raced dirt bikes for may years,and rode sport bikes my whole life. Never dropped a street bike in my life at any speed,but have come close a few times and had to plant my leg with all might several times to keep from going down. Now I take it slow and steady at slow speed and no more problems

On the other hand,this bike is amazing at the twisties,knee dragging and high speeds. It is rock solid!!

I rode for the 1st time last season a Harley UHLTS..., you know, the big one. Getting near a gas station got the pucker going big time.

I rode an Ultra and I have to say it was very good at low speed handling. After riding it, I can understand why cops like it as an urban police bike. It handles a lot better than I thought it would.

Being pretty close to your size (6'1" and maybe 260) and looking at a 2010/11 R1200, I'm interested in what you found awkward about the bike at slow speed.

Gearing, weight distribution, etc??

Being short legged, I'm looking at the lowered version and no ESA, fwiw.

My drive to work each day includes a lot of stop and go traffic, and considering it's 3 degree's F out a test ride is not going to happen..:)

TIA

Al...who has way to much time to think about all this..

ps..sorry if I stepped on the OP thread.

Under 3mph gets kind of tricky.

:D:rofl: The obvious and non-controversial answer to the OPs question!

Maybe not what the OP asked,but after 38 years of riding my RT is the most awkward bike at parking lot speeds I have ever owned When changing direction,turning around etc. I am 6' 2" 250 lbs very large frame. I raced dirt bikes for may years,and rode sport bikes my whole life. Never dropped a street bike in my life at any speed,but have come close a few times and had to plant my leg with all might several times to keep from going down. Now I take it slow and steady at slow speed and no more problems

On the other hand,this bike is amazing at the twisties,knee dragging and high speeds. It is rock solid!!

I'm interested in what you found awkward about the bike at slow speed.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 160 pounds, with a 31" inseam. My R12RT seems to have a lot of weight up high, and at very low speeds it can be difficult for me to maneuver. If it starts to tip, it can get away. With comparatively short legs, it is hard to get the leverage you need to counter the tilt. So far (knock wood), I have never actually dropped it, but I am super cautious in the garage, driveway, or anywhere that I have to shift the bike around in tight spaces and low speeds. Once underway, it's no problem. Harleys are much lower and seem not to present the same difficulties. Same with the Gold Wings.

Just curious, do you have the lowered suspension?

We went window shopping yesterday at the local BMW dealer and the lowered version again felt much more controllable for me. (on the show room floor)

I have a 31" inseam also.

Al

I'm interested in what you found awkward about the bike at slow speed.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 160 pounds, with a 31" inseam. My R12RT seems to have a lot of weight up high, and at very low speeds it can be difficult for me to maneuver. If it starts to tip, it can get away. With comparatively short legs, it is hard to get the leverage you need to counter the tilt. So far (knock wood), I have never actually dropped it, but I am super cautious in the garage, driveway, or anywhere that I have to shift the bike around in tight spaces and low speeds. Once underway, it's no problem. Harleys are much lower and seem not to present the same difficulties. Same with the Gold Wings.

I still think it's most unstable when stopped, stands not deployed and you're walking away from it.

Actually, under those circumstances, it tends to increase in stability rapidly, becoming completely stable within about 2 seconds, all on it's own.

No, I have the stock suspension with the factory low seat. I have sat on the later models with the lower suspension and agree that they should be a bit more manageable, but you lose the ESA. If I had it to do over, I think I would go for the lower position. ESA is nice, but I don't think I would miss it that much.

Thanks.

I found the lowered versions I sat on were much easier to move around for me.

They keep pushing the ESA at the dealer, but I doubt I'd use it enough to matter anyway, I rarely ever changed suspension in all the years I've been riding, other to maybe bump up the rear shocks when two up, and that took all of a minute or two.

Al

No, I have the stock suspension with the factory low seat. I have sat on the later models with the lower suspension and agree that they should be a bit more manageable, but you lose the ESA. If I had it to do over, I think I would go for the lower position. ESA is nice, but I don't think I would miss it that much.

My RT is the most awkward bike at parking lot speeds I have ever owned. When changing direction,turning around etc. I am 6' 2" 250 lbs very large frame.

It's not just me then. My old bike could easily do the 180 in the two-spaces-wide the skills test required. This bike, no. Even with the new PR2 tires (way better than the stocker Z06s) and 25 more years experience, a 180 in that space is not happening. The 2-car garage is a 3-point turn if the truck isn't in it, a purely back-it-in exercise if it is.

FWIW: 6'5", 245, 35" inseam.

That's odd. I find the RT to be the most stable low speed bike I have ever owned. I can easily do tight u-turns and parking lot maneuvers, even luggaged up. That was the first thing that struck me about it when I got the bike. OTH, I'm 5"11" and 175 lbs. 34 " inseam, so maybe being shorter helps?

I still think it's most unstable when stopped, stands not deployed and you're walking away from it.

Actually, under those circumstances, it tends to increase in stability rapidly, becoming completely stable within about 2 seconds, all on it's own.

DING DING!

Archived