IGNORED

Which cell phone?

Kathy R

Looking forward to your input. Thank you in advance. :)

I have NO working PHONE right now and need to decide on one FAST.

My 1.5 yr old Blackberry Pearl died this morning for no understandable reason. My "contract" is up March 30, 2011.

I currently have Verizon because of their good coverage at home and when traveling.

So far, these are the things I regularly do with my phone:

Calls

Email

Camera - I take lots of shots and upload/email nearly all of them)

Internet - so far, I only use this to check stocks daily and occasionally look up information like phone numbers

I would like a bigger screen than the little one I have now

I like two letters per key, but imagine I could get used to Querty. I can't imagine dealing with 3 letters per key.

If it's a flip I like a screen on the outside too.

I have discovered I could drop the need for Blackberry email and it's associative cost by simply using a Yahoo App.

Is this what you do? I do want to know immediately when an email comes in, -vs- having to go to the APP and search.

I do not need Push To Talk.

Would a Droid be overkill for me?

My 1.5 yr old Blackberry Pearl died this morning for no understandable reason.

Your sure theres no hope for it?

You have pulled the battery to reboot right?

My 1.5 yr old Blackberry Pearl died this morning for no understandable reason.

Your sure theres no hope for it?

You have pulled the battery to reboot right?

Yes sir. :wave:

I did that twice. I also moved the charger to a new socket and tried that. The battery was at 3/4 when I hooked it up last night, so I don't think it drained during the night.

The tech at the Verizon store took the phone in the back for a couple minutes. He proclaimed "It's not the battery. This phone is dead. You'll need to get a new phone".

The tech I talked to on the phone at Verizon asked me a bunch of questions and came back with "Sometimes a phone just dies. They aren't building them the way they used to".

(shoulder shrug emoticon here)

ericfoerster

The Droid is PERFECT for you. While it is the only phone I own, its awesome for everything I've thrown at it. It rocks the web, pics, movies, tv apps, and just about anything else. The map and GPS features are just about perfect.

Several "droids" from two manufacturers.

You want Android 2.2 (Froyo) or a phone scheduled to receive an update.

It should have a great screen, snappy performance, and plenty of on board memory.

GPS is a must. Bluetooth is a must for me. WiFi if you will not have an unlimited data plan. Wifi doesn't use the phone data plan. However, be careful with unsecured wifi. Camera is a must.

You are gonna use this thing a lot more, and in a lot more ways than in the past:

In the store: Point the camera at a bar code and get prices from online!

On the road: gps ties to weather app, you get local weather and live radar.

Google maps: voice navigation and really good poi. Find restaraunt: click to call, navigate, see website, see reviews, etc.

Google skymaps: See what that bright star is.

Google earth.

Push email.

Currency converter, units converters, tip calculator, scientific calculator.

Bridge, Hearts, Spades, Solitaire, Angry Birds (not!), Pacman....

Music player...

Facebook app, Kindle app,

Thousands and thousands of apps to do all this stuff.

Oh yeah, its a phone too.

Get the best one they've got. You will use it. See reviews on CNET. See user reviews on CNET and Amazon.

The Droid is PERFECT for you. While it is the only phone I own, its awesome for everything I've thrown at it. It rocks the web, pics, movies, tv apps, and just about anything else. The map and GPS features are just about perfect.

Thanks Eric. I need to know why I want a phone GPS if I have a GPS for the car/bike? I'm not sure that I'd mount the phone on the bike?

Several "droids" from two manufacturers.

You want Android 2.2 (Froyo) or a phone scheduled to receive an update.

It should have a great screen, snappy performance, and plenty of on board memory.

GPS is a must. Bluetooth is a must for me. WiFi if you will not have an unlimited data plan. Wifi doesn't use the phone data plan. However, be careful with unsecured wifi. Camera is a must.

You are gonna use this thing a lot more, and in a lot more ways than in the past:

In the store: Point the camera at a bar code and get prices from online!

On the road: gps ties to weather app, you get local weather and live radar.

Google maps: voice navigation and really good poi. Find restaraunt: click to call, navigate, see website, see reviews, etc.

Google skymaps: See what that bright star is.

Google earth.

Push email.

Currency converter, units converters, tip calculator, scientific calculator.

Bridge, Hearts, Spades, Solitaire, Angry Birds (not!), Pacman....

Music player...

Facebook app, Kindle app,

Thousands and thousands of apps to do all this stuff.

Oh yeah, its a phone too.

Get the best one they've got. You will use it. See reviews on CNET. See user reviews on CNET and Amazon.

Thank you, Jan

Ahh, phone that can take an update...yeah I can see that as important to me, so long as the dang thing last five years.

How much memory and what do I need all the memory for?

I use the memory card for the photos and haven't found that method lacking?

I'm still trying to understand why I would want internet or WIFI to a great extent on my phone? I don't have experience with all that. In the last 1.5 years I used the internet only to check a couple stocks once a day and occasionally to look up a phone number. Maybe because I don't work I'm not really in need of a bunch of technology on the go? I don't know.

I like Jan's recommendations. As much as I love my iPhone, the big limitation is the availability of reliable AT&T service. If it's not available where you live and travel, then stick with your proven provider.

While Blackberry remains the standard for business smartphones, I can tell you from personal experience that you'll never go back once you try an Android or iPhone type of device. They're just so far advanced, in terms of the user interface and the availability of different functions, that you'll wonder how Blackberry can continue to survive with the now-rudimentary devices they call smartphones. As far as Jan's GPS recommendation, you don't really have to worry about that as part of your initial purchase decision, as long as you purchase a phone that can utilize apps. However, I do use my TomTom app on my iPhone pretty often. First, I've increasingly found that my Garmin's routing sucks and is often better on the iPhone (utilizing TomTom). Also, the visual display is superior and you can route directly to the contacts in your address book. These days, when I'm about to head to a new business, I'll look it up on my iPhone's Maps app, load the address, phone #, etc. as a new contact, then save it in my address book (the "Contacts" app). It won't replace your M/C's GPS, but it is a very viable--and perhaps superior--alternative to what's in your car.

As far as memory is concerned, I'd recommend you get as much as you can. I may be a little sloppy in managing my iPhone content, but I've got a little over 29 GB of apps, photos, music, etc. on my iPhone. Since they're somewhat viable as cameras and can hold a lot of photos and music, I carry much of my library with me.

Anyway, bottom line . . . go with Jan's recommendation, unless you find that an iPhone is a viable alternative. In that case, check out AT&T's offerings. Good luck!

John Ranalletta

I agree with Mike. I especially prefer the MotionX suite of GPS tools for the iPhone, but know they suck power like an electric chair. The MotionX GPS can send email location updates to multiple email addresses. Just for grins, when we travel to see family on the east coast, the system sends and email each hour advising our kids of our location.

My iPhone attaches to my car radio system. I get the voice commands over the radio's speakers and the iPhone is powered by the car's electrical system.

5374.jpg.be42a6ca68170379d1ae76669a93f369.jpg

IIRC iPhone comes to Verizon in February. I'm holding out to see if that's true since I hate AT&T wireless with a passion (as a former subscriber)

The TomTom app is nice. It actually loads the map onto your phone like a real gps, and has live traffic/construction info. However, it is only available for iPhone, not android phones.

For Android phones you will be using Google Maps (app, free) or an app from your carrier (ATT Navitgator $9.99/mo in my case). So I use Google Maps. This takes an active data connection. The maps are not stored on your machine but must come over the air.

Why would you use this when you have a real gps? For one, the dedicated gps probably isn't with you when you are walking around. Your dedicated gps likely doesn't tie seamlessly into all the other apps... weather for instance. Google Earth and Google Skymaps (just for fun), camera (geotag). The synergies achieved by putting the gps into the phone (can we really call them that anymore?) package are what are at play here. I've had mine 3 months and I didn't understand either. Also, the routing is much better and easier, the poi are much better. Amazing.

Your real gps still has it's place. It is mountable in your vehicle, works without a data connection, and has user configurable routes. The phone gps is a different beast.

You pull into a parking lot, see a restaurant and want reviews, use the phone.

BB vs Android. I got the Samsung Galaxy S (ATT version = Captivate) and Sharon got the BB Torch with the new OS6. They are both equally capable machines (will do all the same things, mostly).

The Samsung is snappier, has a much better screen, and many thousands of free apps available. I find it, with a few maddening exceptions, very intuitive. The Samsung is an expression of minimalism, a beautiful sleek black box. The Samsung is however, buggy, and I am on my third unit.

The BB has a poor screen, is sluggish (by comparison), has an inefficient OS, has many fewer available free (and paid) apps, Google Maps does not support voice navigation in the BB version, I can't find a scientific calculator app for free on it (also my units and currency conversion app). On the plus side, the BB is a beautifully machined and built piece of industrial art, with a fantastic hard keyboard. While it may be stodgy, it's gps works better, and it is reliable.

Memory on the phones works to hold user files, contact lists, and apps. My phone came with 16 gb native, and so far I haven't had to think about adding a memory card. It can take a micro SD card of any size. Sharon's came with 8 gb, and likewise, no issues so far. If like Mike, you are going to load it up with music and video, things could change in a hurry. I've seen folk watching movies on their phones.

Jan's done a good job of explaining it, but I'll emphasize this: if you're out of an area of data coverage, the data-dependent nature of Google Maps will render it useless. The other limitation--at least on the iPhone--is that, while it gives you a route suggestion and tracks your present position, it won't give you turn-by-turn prompts, like your dedicated GPS. I also used VZ Navigator back when I was a Verizon customer. It has some of the same limitations, being dependent on a data connection. Once you're out in the sticks, it won't work. However, something like TomTom or Navigon includes a full build-in mapset, so driving in and out of a data coverage area has no impact. Updates are free once you purchase the navigation app, but with something like VZ Navigator you're always getting the latest information without a download. Another big difference is in pricing. The U.S. navigation apps cost about $40 - $50, including lifetime updates, versus about $10/month for the navigation systems offered by Verizon and AT&T. The latter quickly becomes more expensive.

But, since you don't use your Blackberry for navigation at this time, I'd suggest that you just wait and see if you use the built-in mapping capabilities, and decide whether you need full GPS capabilities. Like Jan said, one of the magical things about these devices is how their various capabilities complement each other. It makes them very useful.

it won't give you turn-by-turn prompts, like your dedicated GPS.

Google Maps for Android does indeed do voice prompts. Not sure all phones and all Android versions support it, but I use it all the time on the Captivate.

Google Maps for BB does not do voice prompts.

it won't give you turn-by-turn prompts, like your dedicated GPS.

Google Maps for Android does indeed do voice prompts. Not sure all phones and all Android versions support it, but I use it all the time on the Captivate.

Google Maps for BB does not do voice prompts.

That's a great capability. Alone, it wouldn't do the trick for me, but it would certainly be more than enough for most.

I'm still trying to understand why I would want internet or WIFI to a great extent on my phone?

All of the synergies/functions I have been mentioning depend on internet, whether you connect via the phone's data service (4G, 3G, Edge... whatever) or wifi.

Wifi is useful for three reasons:

On ATT unlimited data plans are no longer available. Wifi saves phone data usage. On Verizon I believe you can still get an unlimited data plan. I am using about 100 mb of data a month when traveling, for example. If you get an unlimited data plan then this reason is irrelevant. For me, it may save about 100 mb/mo of phone data service.

Wifi may be faster. If you only have Edge or something like that available through the phone data service then wifi is almost certainly going to be significantly faster. 3G and most wifi are both pretty fast, so this is not an issue where there is good coverage.

Wifi may be present when there is no phone data service at all. When you stop at a cafe in BFE and they have wifi it might save your a**.

Bottom line: wifi and phone data (4g, 3g, edge) do the same thing... connect you to the internet... but are different ways to achieve that connection.

I like Jan's recommendations. As much as I love my iPhone, the big limitation is the availability of reliable AT&T service. If it's not available where you live and travel, then stick with your proven provider.

I have honestly not experienced a problem with AT&T's coverage, but I suspect that might be a function of the plan as there are differening levels of network sharing. I do a lot of international travel in Southeast Asia, and have no problem whatsoever getting voice and data coverage on my Iphone under the AT&T international calling and data plans.

I don't really care for the Droid myself, but I consider both that and the Iphone to be a superior business phone than Palms or Blackberrys. Some people need the tactile hard keyboards. Me personally, I can't use them and I think the Iphone's touchscreen interface is by far more useful for web surfing and document viewing. We use the Iphone as a standard for business.

I use a blackberry for the Army and have a smaller droid for personal use. I like the keyboard for speed of entry on teh BB, but the feature set of the droid is great. I like the iPod, but like others, do not want to leave Verizon. The larger Droids with keyboard (as opposed to touchscreen) would be the phones I would pick today if I had to replace a phone. Currently, that would be the Droid 2 Global. It is a brick though. One nice feature I have not researched enough yet is the ability to wirelessly tether you phone to a laptop, allowing you to use your phone link as the internet connection for your other toys. Of course the phone companies frown on this, but I think that they will be forced into allowing more due to market pressure.

OK, I have no knowledge of US carriers.

My whole family is Blackberry (Pearl, Pearl flip, Bold & Storm). We are talking one geek (my son) who programs apps for his, one OCD dad who continues to be amazed at the seamless integration of his schedule, contacts and email (MS Outlook) with his unit, one 21 yo who has an unlimited North America texting plan and burnt out 2 LGs in less then a year and one 29yo who runs her life through Facebook and Blackberry messenger on hers.

Our Pearls have been trouble free (oldest one is now 31 months old) even though they have been dropped more then once, but the Bold has had issues. Battery life seems worst on the Pearl flip

From a practical point of view, purses are DEATH to any touchscreen phone unless it is always in a hard case. Slide out keyboards are just one more thing that can break if you text a lot.

A lot of the young people at work have iPhones and every 4th one seems to have cracked their screen. Not so much with the "mature" individuals.

I like the WiFi when I'm traveling so I can avoid high roaming charges, but I don't use the browser much anyway other then finding addresses, phone numbers, local maps and eatery reviews. Larger, touchscreen devices may change my attitude about that when my plan comes up later this year.

If you don't keep your life on your smartphone, it really boils down to the best coverage and cost in your area. And what the heck, if a new Pearl is free with only a 1 year plan, why not?

Mike Cassidy

I use a blackberry for the Army and have a smaller droid for personal use. I like the keyboard for speed of entry on teh BB, but the feature set of the droid is great. I like the iPod, but like others, do not want to leave Verizon. The larger Droids with keyboard (as opposed to touchscreen) would be the phones I would pick today if I had to replace a phone. Currently, that would be the Droid 2 Global. It is a brick though. One nice feature I have not researched enough yet is the ability to wirelessly tether you phone to a laptop, allowing you to use your phone link as the internet connection for your other toys. Of course the phone companies frown on this, but I think that they will be forced into allowing more due to market pressure.

ATT has killed tethering (well, ok they now charge $45/mo for it, and it is still limited to 2 gb usage).

You can "root" or "jailbreak" your phone and still do it with an app, however (in violation of your user agreement). Other carriers may be more liberal. I know my former carrier, T-mobile sells unlimited data and allows tethering. Tethering is great because the phone data connection is relatively secure, whereas an unsecured wifi connection is really only good for checking the news or weather.

Gosh, I am very grateful to you folks for taking the time to share your experiences.

I actually had a job interview this morning and have yet another one this afternoon. I know, what the heck am I doing getting a job(s) with my busy dog walking schedule? :grin:

Right now, IF verizon makes good on their (so far) VERBAL promise I should have an LG Cosmos - for free - no contract - tomorrow.

IF they were blowing smoke on the phone yesterday then I'll head to the verizon store tomorrow. That is part of the nightmare of being me and shopping for a phone; the quality of the salespeople is discouraging.

Ya'll are helping me immensely. :thumbsup: I'm starting to see that maybe the Verizon Droid is the way to go in this era. Afterall, it only took me 8 years to get my first photo posted on the board. :grin:

(HUG emoticon here)

I currently have Verizon because of their good coverage at home and when traveling.

So far, these are the things I regularly do with my phone:

Calls

Email

Camera

Internet

I would like a bigger screen than the little one I have now

I like two letters per key, but imagine I could get used to Querty. I can't imagine dealing with 3 letters per key.

Get an Android. Either a Droid X or the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S, the Fascinate.

I have the ATT version, my bro-in-law the T-Mobile. It absolutely rocks. 4" screen and does everything you want it to do (and very well). Over 100K apps. Free apps w/o Apple's needing to approve everything.

Ride logger, Speed view are two for the road I look forward to trying (once I recover from my surgery). Lots of GPS related apps. Gmail is great with it(duh). I can even control my Fios DVR with it when my kid "loses" the remote.

I've had it less than a month and wouldn't go back to a Blackberry/Palm type phone if you threatened my life. Apple can sit and spin, too.

Android OS v2.2/2.3 coming.

I regularly use it to check this site and others while my wife is camped out on the computer or I'm out riding and use someone's Wifi network.

And I got a refurb for $0.01 (yes, 1 cent). A $200 savings over a new one. :clap:

Good luck with the Verizon store visit. On the one hand, putting your hands on something is the only way to really tell if it feels right for you. On the other, I have an equally low opinion of Verizon store staff.

Consumer Reports, January 2011, gives high ratings to the following Verizon phones:

• Motorola Droid X
  • Samsung Fascinate
  • Motorola Droid 2
  • HTC Droid Incredible
  • LG Ally

If a physical, as opposed to a virtual, keyboard is important, Droid 2 or LG Ally.

I'm a relative neophite when it comes to Smart Phones. However, for Christmas, after comparing rate plans between Verizon and AT&T, I took the plunge and chose Verizon and an HTC Incredile. So far, my only regret/difficulty is trying to synch with Outlook.

I recommend the Blackberry if synching with Outlook is important. Other than that, the Droid seems like a good choice based on your usage.

Okay that is way cool that the IPhone works like that, I didn't know how that worked but I had heard a little bit about being tracked!

Sorry Kathy I'm an AT&T geek and I LOVE AT&T. I have the IPhone, IPad and probably another Mac soon too.

:wave: Thank you everyone! At least when I walk into the v store this time I won't be overwhelmed.

Jean, I wish I had an option on carrier, but AT&T doesn't have the coverage here at home or where I frequently travel. I'm chained to the only effective provider in my world, verizon.

I just got a confirmation that the free phone has shipped, but won't be here until sometime tomorrow! Another day with no phone. It has been a challenge that I would never have endured without the laptop.

What's the concern about it being overkill? Cost or complexity?

If cost, remember that you'll pay $15-30/mo for the data plan on *any* smartphone. At least $360 on top of your voice plan over the next 24 months. It seems you are already paying that for the BB.

If you figure in the cost of the 2yr of service (almost $2000), the cost of the device ($100-200) seems less an issue.

Look around, Verizon direct doesn't always offer the best deals. DroidX is $200 from VZW direct, $70 from amazon (for an upgrade), for example.

Complexity? You don't need to learn all the features to make use of the device. And most Android devices are pretty consistent.

I have discovered I could drop the need for Blackberry email and it's associative cost by simply using a Yahoo App.

There are a half dozen ways to get at your Yahoo email on a mobile devices. All have pros/cons, but you won't get around the need to connect to yahoo. Which is why you pay for a data plan regardless.

But ya, the yahoo app, at least on android, is pretty slick.

As far as other features, like GPS, I think in the next two years you'll find them useful. Much like the first cell phones (why do I need a phone in my car? in my pocket?), in 6mo you'll wonder what how you did without.

I don't see it replacing your bike GPS. But it is still really helpful. Even just for simple stuff like showing me the 3-day forecast for wherever I am, automatically. What hotels/restaurants are nearby. Navigating in a new city without needing to rent or bring a GPS. All phones need GPS for E911 (simplified a bit, I know), so why not put it to good use?

I still recommend the Droid X. Good/solid phone. Big screen. Verizon service.

Sorry Kathy I'm an AT&T geek and I LOVE AT&T. I have the IPhone, IPad and probably another Mac soon too.

Sounds like you love Apple...not AT&T?

Thank you, Steve. Good information. Long story short I'm going to get the Driod X.

26 hours after I was (again) promised I would receive a reply verizon sent me an email saying they are shipping the little LG replacement phone as promised, but they failed to recognize that it was already promised for a Tue delivery. They emailed me this morning stating it's coming Wed.

Today at a different verizon store I meet the sales/customer service person of my dreams, Rodney. verizon won't allow me to get the Droid until I return the free LG phone.

Rodney didn't hesitate; handing me a phone set up on my number and a charger. "When you are ready, come in and we'll get you a Droid". It's $199 with the mail in rebate. Finally, someone with a business mind.

Bad news is I have lost everything in my contact list, calendar and "no photos" are on the memory chip. I've lost everything.

Can all of you, who know me, please send me your email address and phone numbers please?

kmrayburnATsbcglobal.net

(HUG emoticon)

No backup Kathy, tsk tsk.

Presumably an Android will be able to sync with a gmail account easily? (I'm about to get an AT&T Android too, hope she's like Darryl Hannah in Bladerunner, well, in some ways)

No backup Kathy, tsk tsk.

Presumably an Android will be able to sync with a gmail account easily? (I'm about to get an AT&T Android too, hope she's like Darryl Hannah in Bladerunner, well, in some ways)

Hahahaha....

Google it... Oh well, I'll save you the trouble... You have to get the contacts into your gmail acct by typing them in. So far as I can tell no way to get them off the phone or sim to gmail. If you find one let me know as I haven't started typing yet.

If you are thinking Captivate... make sure you know your return options well. I'm on unit #3 and it is still buggy, though less so than units #1 (bad gps) and #2 (phone shut down several times a day). Unit #3 only shuts down about once every 10 days or so, and the gps works. Both heavily reported problems on tech websites (although of course store personnel have never heard of these problems, and I am the only one, and never has anyone else returned a Captivate... yata yata). Still waiting for Android 2.2 too. No official date yet, although there is official word that is coming. On the other hand, it is a great piece of hardware when it works. I don't think ATT has anything else in the ballpark yet.

I want to get my contacts from Gmail into my Captivate. It's free with no contract so if it gives me hardware troubles I haven't lost that much.

On second thought, someone came up with a reasonable workaround, however I did get a bunch of double entries...

Go into your "People" contacts on your phone, then "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Export" then you're given a choice of "Google" or "Phone." Select "Phone." Then confirm and export to your SD Card or phone storage. Then, "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Import" and then select "Google" and then Select "vcard file." This should now upload all your phone contacts into Google. Now that you're all synced up, remember to select "Google" when creating a new contact.
I want to get my contacts from Gmail into my Captivate. It's free with no contract so if it gives me hardware troubles I haven't lost that much.

I think that is supposed to work readily. You shouldn't even have to turn on auto synch, it should just do it, if I understand correctly, when you set up your gmail acct on the phone.

Sounds like a great deal!

Holler if you need any help with it.

Sounds like a great deal!

Holler if you need any help with it.

Will do, first we have to get a signal that the phone can pick up, mid Feb at the earliest they say. (AT&T are taking over Alltel and putting in new 3G equipment)

It will work on your wifi at home so you can begin to get apps and use them and configure things. System updates will only download on 3G however. But you can do everything else with wifi.

It will work on your wifi at home so you can begin to get apps and use them and configure things. System updates will only download on 3G however. But you can do everything else with wifi.

That's a good thought, the phone probably won't be here for another month though, they say they will send them out a few weeks before the equipment is operational.

Google has a pretty slick feature for removing duplicate entries from your contacts.

Other apps, like facebook, can also integrate into your contacts on the device.

Pretty slick actually.

On second thought, someone came up with a reasonable workaround, however I did get a bunch of double entries...

System updates will only download on 3G however.

Really? that's odd, ATT pushes us pretty hard to only take updates over WiFi. The inverse.

Kathy, time to setup a gmail account, if you don't already have one.

As folks give you the info just enter it into google's contacts. When the droid arrives you'll log into the gmail acct (required during setup) and all your contacts will come over.

Also if/when you setup facebook, you should see those contacts as well.

Bad news is I have lost everything in my contact list, calendar and "no photos" are on the memory chip. I've lost everything.

Can all of you, who know me, please send me your email address and phone numbers please?

kmrayburnATsbcglobal.net

(HUG emoticon)

This Droid X thing is very interesting. Heavy and big compared to the Pearl, but for good reason. I have to say that the large screen is a JOY for these older eyes.

Thank you one and all. I'm grateful for your help. :wave:

Oh, P.S.

:mad:

I had to go through some additional verizon hell today. I put my foot down 4 times and they folded each time. If they knew anything about business they would have simply treated me right and had my good will, but no...they can't see the forest for the trees.

My local vendor, Rodney Hill, manager of Wireless World at 540 N Main St. Canandaigua NY is THE MAN! :clap:

Two items regarding the Droid:

1. You can use the native email app on the droid to access Outlook email if you're version 2.2 or later
  2. Tethering can be done via an app called PDANet

Two items regarding the Droid:

1. You can use the native email app on the droid to access Outlook email if you're version 2.2 or later
  2. Tethering can be done via an app called PDANet

Thanks for the information.

I don't have Outlook, do I want that?

What is tethering?

No. Really, this is not being smart but based on what you have said earlier, forget about it. If you want details let me know.

What is tethering?

Tethering is using the phone, via it's data connection, to supply an internet connection to another device, usually a laptop or desktop computer. The phone acts as your cable/dsl/dialup does and passes data through to your connected device. It is called tethering because usually you use a usb cable to literally tether the phone to the other device.

Tethering is an up charge on some providers, and using an app to get around that is a contract violation. Other providers allow it. I don't know about Verizon. T-Mobile allowed it back in September when I checked, ATT charges $45/mo.

What is tethering?

Lucky you. Outlook is the worst e-mail client I have used in the past 30 years.

What is tethering?

Lucky you. Outlook is the worst e-mail client I have used in the past 30 years.

Now you've made me curious.

What is the best email client in your opinion.

I could use a little direction in that regard.

:) Jan, I'm enjoying it. I'm so glad I asked for everyones opinions. I would never have made this move without everyones suggestions.

I love the size of the screen, the camera and video, having the Weather Channel, Google Night Sky, the bright red screen I chose, the ways you can view your photos, the way I can easily view multiple news sources, how easy it is to Google, how fast I can view maps......and I have barely gotten into all the APPS.

I got SCANLIFE for viewing barcodes. I added my banks and stocks. I added Recipes and today pulled a banana frosting recipe for a banana bread I'd just made. I love POST IT DESK. I use that for shopping lists. I'm liking the Super Sudoku. I can't wait to use Trip Case.

I've barely scratched the surface.

If you or anyone has APPS to suggest I'd welcome the tip.

On mine, it took a bit but I "locked" it (Samsung uses a pattern lock, some may use a password). If you are going to have that much on it (I haven't set up any banking on mine), I would certainly "lock" or password protect the phone. Lock= protect the phone against unwanted intrusion (It keeps Whip from posting a false status to your facebook acct. and crooks out of your banking).

The next trick was that I wanted my ICE #'s accessible to emergency personnel, even when the phone was locked. To do that took a bit, but I made a photo and put the ICEs in the photo and loaded the photo to be my "wallpaper" or background screen. Now the ICE numbers show on the "lock screen" when the phone is activated. Let me know if you want to try this and I can help this weekend.

Sounds like you are well into the apps.

You might like a gps utility. I use GPS Test by Chartcross, but there are any number, including some that will do tracks I believe.

Have Fun!

DUH! I had better password lock it. :dopeslap:

I love the ICE tip. Thanks!

From what I read that Trip Case provides tracks or something like that. Looking at the APPS list is daunting.

Archived