IGNORED

UnRally "X" Excited Chatter Thread

Endobob

Just got word from Richard.... "110 degrees! gt ain't happy! it's trying to die on me... reset engine computer, no help....trying fuel cleaner... If you don't hear from me I'm still headed east... I'll let you know right away if I can't keep going." He was crossing Kansas..... BUT I'm SURE he's still EXCITED! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Might have to send out a rescue and recovery team :P:cry:.

Friend Rod and I blast off Wednesday morning NLT 0530, headed for Winchester, VA. Thursday it's a short ride to Roanoke, VA where our wives will fly on Friday. From there we'll take a very leisurely two days to arrive at Little Switzerland on Sunday.

The GT saga continues......I'll bring extra tools!

Please be sure to bring a really big sledgehammer! I'm really over that bike.

The GT saga continues......I'll bring extra tools!

Please be sure to bring a really big sledgehammer! I'm really over that bike.

You know, there's a new dealer opening in Asheville tomorrow... Richard could be the first bike they sell...

Just saying...

Calvin  (no socks)

How close is the closest "Name Brand Beer?" I can deal with this cheap gas or that cheap gas....but inquiring minds want to know....How close? :grin:

How close is the closest "Name Brand Beer?" I can deal with this cheap gas or that cheap gas....but inquiring minds want to know....How close? :grin:

I'll bet good beer isn't far away.

The nearest convenience store.

The Switzerland General Store & Cafe on the corner of Hwy 226-Alt and Bearwallow Rd is closest place with beer ... perhaps 0.2 of a mile at most. Skyline Beverage claims to have a larger selection and that's a bit under there miles un Hwy 226-Alt east towards Hwy 226.

I put that kind of info in the Info Handout under General Logistics (Pg 5).

DSC01348.jpg

Close enough?

:wave:

I have a very distinct memory of you sipping a 16oz can of Budweiser at the UN in NH? That shouldn't exactly be hard to find considering the area we will be in. :/

I just checked the weather and it looks like rain all but one day. My poor wife has been rained on every vacation attemp this year except BMWMOA where it was 100deg.

I just checked the weather and it looks like rain all but one day. My poor wife has been rained on every vacation attemp this year except BMWMOA where it was 100deg.

I'd still take that over work any day

Lone_RT_rider

Since your from Ohio (I'm from MI originally) and may not be familiar with the typical Carolina summer weather forecast, let me elaborate. When the weather forecast says partly sunny with a chance of scatterred thunderstorms (30-50%) in the Carolina's, that really translates to sunny as heck all day long with a small chance of VERY localized pop-up thunderstorms in the later afternoon or early evening. Most of the time that means about 15 to 30 minutes of rain IF you happen to be under the cloud that's doing it.

We had exactly the same forecast this past weekend when I was riding in the North GA mountains and we hit exactly 2 minutes of rain on Warwoman road. It was in the mid 90's, so it actually was a welcome relief at that time.

Don't let the weather forcast scare you. It's not like the Mid-West where when we get a forecast for thunderstorms it could mean hours of garbage weather for 100 miles around. :)

Shawn

Nice n Easy Rider

Scattered thunderstorms in the forecast. That means you just have to weave in and out of them. :grin:

At least it wont be triple digits. :)

Since your from Ohio (I'm from MI originally) and may not be familiar with the typical Carolina summer weather forecast, let me elaborate. When the weather forecast says partly sunny with a chance of scatterred thunderstorms (30-50%) in the Carolina's, that really translates to sunny as heck all day long with a small chance of VERY localized pop-up thunderstorms in the later afternoon or early evening. Most of the time that means about 15 to 30 minutes of rain IF you happen to be under the cloud that's doing it.

We had exactly the same forecast this past weekend when I was riding in the North GA mountains and we hit exactly 2 minutes of rain on Warwoman road. It was in the mid 90's, so it actually was a welcome relief at that time.

Don't let the weather forcast scare you. It's not like the Mid-West where when we get a forecast for thunderstorms it could mean hours of garbage weather for 100 miles around. :)

Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping this forecast isn't based on "Emily" which is moving up the east coast this week end. Regardless, we will be there.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just hoping this forecast isn't based on "Emily" which is moving up the east coast this week end. Regardless, we will be there.

From what they are saying locally, it's supposed to stay East of us here. We should be fine by Monday or so for all the routes, even the North Eastern based.

roadscholar
When the weather forecast says partly sunny with a chance of scatterred thunderstorms (30-50%) in the Carolina's, that really translates to sunny as heck all day long with a small chance of VERY localized pop-up thunderstorms in the later afternoon or early evening. Don't let the weather forcast scare you.

Shawn

Shawn's exactly right. In the mountains a forecast of 30% means a stellar day of riding. 50% means you may ride through a shower but it'll be nice on the other side of it. 60%-100% means there's a front (or hurricane) coming through and in 36 hours everything will be good again.

George Brown

Less than 36 hours to go. We are leaving Friday AM for High Point, NC where we will visit with one of our daughters for the weekend. Plan to leave there Monday AM and get to the UN by Noon!

Looking at the Day Routes has me pumped!

I'm going to be leaving from the Dahlonega, GA area Monday morning (about 225-250 miles to Little Switzerland via the BRP). If anybody needs a place to stay Sunday night, send me a PM, and I will send you directions. I've got a spare bedroom and a futon in the living room, plus an enclosed garage with room for several motorcycles. There's a good motorcycle tire shop about 7 miles away.

Now relaxing in my hotel room in Winchester, VA, after a 550-mile Day One. Got about an hour of significant rain (the last hour). Departed with my friend Rod at 0520, so we got in at a good time. Tomorrow is a short ride to Roanoke to wait for our wives to fly in noon Friday.

Do not worry, weather forecasters are like politicians, they ain't got a clue.

Richard said what is this a "Harley" ride?

Where is Richard and how is he doing?

After spending most of the day yesterday in the BEST Military Air Museum (he just LOVED IT) in Dayton, Ohio, Richard spent the night in Kentucky. The bike is running better. :clap::clap:

Thank you for asking :thumbsup:. We'll see you in a few days.

The Air Force museum in Dayton is awesome! I spent a day there a couple of unrallies ago. wish I'd spent two...

I'm in Pensacola visiting the Naval aviation museum now. Nice museum, but a small fraction of the size and displays compared to Dayton.

After the UN, I'm planning on a couple of days visiting the Smithsonian Air and Space museums.....

Paul Mihalka

The Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum IS the best! A amazing place. I already stopped in three times on my travels. My legs give up before I've seen half of it...

I am pretty particular to the Nav Air museum in Pepsicola but WP has been on my list of must see places for a while. I think next year when we go up for vintage days...

George Brown
I've been to most of the aircraft museums and WP remains my favorite.

I spent a few hours there in 2009. A few hours is not enough time. I'm not even sure a day would be enough time.

A couple of my former Marine buddies and I have talked about visiting for two or three days but we haven't really gotten serious about planning and scheduling anything. I've sort of been thinking that since most of it is indoors perhaps a late winter or early spring visit would be good -- maybe 2012!.

We should get a group to go see BayouBengal in Warner Robins too...

Not sure what the BayouBengal in Warner Robbins is but if it includes BBQ, count me in.

Everything is on the bike ready to go but me. Tomorrow...Dawn...Chasing Bernie begins.

Bill

If you find yourself near Dothan, AL anytime, Fort Rucker has a free flight museum. Mostly helos but some nice WWI era aircraft. Not a big museum, spend a couple of hours there.

Today's activities:

Packing, checking fluid levels and pressures, washing the bike (kids idea).

Been to the bank.

New tags on.

D/L doesn't expire for 2 years (don't ask)

Still to do (with approx. 48 hours to go):

Follow Emily and determine launch time.

Load bike (tomorrow).

Gas up (tomorrow).

Leave (Saturday).

The Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum IS the best! A amazing place. I already stopped in three times on my travels. My legs give up before I've seen half of it...

Yea, it may be nice and all but they kicked me out after I asked to see the alien flying saucer they got from Roswell.

Hey!

We are heading up with the bikes on the hook and swag in the truck, rolling from Jax NLT 0830. Going to hit Asheville for the evening I think and have some dinner and a few brews after a visit to the BMW dealer there...

We've just completed day 2 of our ride to the Un. Day 1 was dreary, cold & very wet. Today was just terrific. We've stopped in Dover, Oh. for the night.

I've been checking out the local history. It seems that one member of the founding Dover family named Benjamin was also a medical practitioner. It is claimed that he was a pioneer in the new study of Proctology.

It is also claimed...hey, wait a minute...Dr.Ben Dover...Proctology; this has to be a joke, right?

Paul Mihalka

Got a bit of a problem. My dear Maria is down with a good cold. I wouldn't leave with her out of commission. Let's see how she does. Original plan was to leave on Sunday. Might still happen - or ride down in one day on Monday... We'll see. I'm not canceling yet...

Got a bit of a problem. My dear Maria is down with a good cold. I wouldn't leave with her out of commission. Let's see how she does. Original plan was to leave on Sunday. Might still happen - or ride down in one day on Monday... We'll see. I'm not canceling yet...

they say........

3 days coming

3 days here

3 days going.....

What day is she in?

seems she may be getting over it by then. take some zycam, I hear it speeds things along. Good Luck.

24 hours to launch and the little guy broke his arm last night. Appointment with ortho this morning, we will see how it goes. Break is clean should be no issues.

24 hours to launch and the little guy broke his arm last night. Appointment with ortho this morning, we will see how it goes. Break is clean should be no issues.

Popsicle sticks, duct tape, kids first shot of whiskey........hit the road. :)

Hope he's all right

Lone_RT_rider

Popsicle sticks, duct tape, kids first shot of whiskey........hit the road. :)

Try a 12 year old single malt...... start the boy out right. :rofl:

I hope he is doing well, remember..... bloody Mary's for a hangover. Hair of the dog man.... hair of the dog. ;)

disclaimer: all comments above are tongue in cheek. Any calls to Social service will be met with SWIFT retrabution involver something of high caliber.

You are a wonderful man :clap::clap::clap:. I hope your dear Maria is feeling better very soon.

Archived