IGNORED

UnRally "X" Excited Chatter Thread

Endobob

Lone_RT_rider
There should be a rule not to post Pre-Unrally destination photos...kind of like seeing the bride before the wedding.

Ok, then I won't post a couple of pics from my original Un-Ralley scouting trip below, or post a link to the rest of the pics here.

898553597_67FdN-XL.jpg

898552825_Fz7vR-XL.jpg

Looking from the LSI lodge out over the Apalachins....

898555311_XCm4i-XL.jpg

898557527_wkJdg-XL.jpg

13 days til lift off. I will have no fingernails left by then, or fingers.

Reconfirmed my reservation, my route (theoretical) and my cabinmates' attendance. Arriving Sunday evening.

Now to firm up plans with travel mates for the ride north.

Gotta make a "FUBAR" sign so someone recognizes me! Or look for the University of Michigan helmet, it'll have my big noggin inside or nearby.

Left the MOA rally yesterday and headed up to Ottawa for a few days visit with Mark (Marcopolo). Tomorrow I start my trek back down thru New England and eventually picking up my wife in DC on 7/31, on the way thru VA to the Unrally. Can't wait to see ya'll! :thumbsup:

There must be more chatter!!! You guys and gals have been keeping me going while I work through this kitchen remodel, keep it up!!!

Paul Mihalka

Well, what can I chatter - I'm not much of a chatterer. Bike is ready to go, it's not such a big trip for me. Between home and Little Switzerland it can be a longish somewhat boring day, which is what I'll do coming home. Going I'll leave Sunday early am and get there Monday ice cream time. In between no fixed plan or routes, which I rarely do but love. See if I can find some new to me roads in West Virginia. OTOH if it happens to be really rainy (I don't think so) or again seriously 90+ (I hope not), I just go Monday in one day. I'm ready!

BING Wellsboro, PA... BING Moorefield, WV... BING Little Switzerland, NC!! Is it August sixth yet? :grin:

Pat

New tires are ready to be mounted this weekend. Leaving next Friday early in the morning for the long way around to Little Switzerland. Tick tick

I really can not believe it! Richards bike was put back together days ago, new tires and all. Anyone that knows Richard, knows with less then 48 hours to go before he leaves, he usually is just starting to take the bike apart! :dopeslap::dopeslap: He must be excited as he even has most everything in his cases. Wishing I was riding across the country with him... :cry::cry:... but I'm excited I'll be there at the UN! It's sure be a great time.... :clap::clap::clap:

Well then, you better check. Maybe Richard has left already, and you didn't notice. He did say he wanted to stop in GA some where.

:rofl:

Everything is still up in the air for us. They screwed Danielle over on previously approved vacation time that week, but still haven't posted her actual work schedule for August yet. She knows she has to work a day in there somewhere, but they won't tell her when. So we are either traveling together and won't be at the UN for more than about 24-36 hours......or I will be riding solo and hanging out for the whole week. So I still haven't made reservations for anywhere, and don't have a clue what I/we will end up doing.

On the bright side, I have a new (to me) Bill Mayer saddle that should be showing up in the big brown truck tomorrow. I'm hoping that will at least help me get down there and leave my posterior in good enough condition that I still want to ride.

First portion of the trip was done a couple weeks ago as I parked the bike at my daughters place in Ottawa while I'm off to work till the 1st.

My wife arrived in Ottawa today to visit the kids/grandkids, so she's excited.

I have no plans etched in stone yet, besides visiting my buddy Jack in Lynchburg, Tn.

We Should be leaving Ottawa on the 3rd and will be tentatively following this route to the Un (arrival on Monday):

Unrally2011.jpg

From the border crossing at Niagara Falls on will be all new places for me; is there anything I should know about?

This is getting to be exciting. Looking forward to meeting you guys there or anywhere along the route.

My Spot will be on.

Mark where are you changing your tires in the Ottawa area?

I have found a guy who does it part time in the evenings, but I would like a backup plan if it doesn't pan out. I have my own rubber, just need installation.

Considered riding to UN together, then she taking a one-way flight home? I feel for you...my wife had to back out for work reasons, too. Though it didn't work out, I found a one way from Birmingham to Asheville for less than $200, to try and get her there for at least part of it.

Just a thought. Cheers!

Well then, you better check. Maybe Richard has left already, and you didn't notice. He did say he wanted to stop in GA some where.

:rofl:

:rofl: Oh, I'd know if he left already... :rofl: and GA is only one of a dozen places he wants to stop on his way out.

Mark where are you changing your tires in the Ottawa area?

I have found a guy who does it part time in the evenings, but I would like a backup plan if it doesn't pan out. I have my own rubber, just need installation.

The BMW dealer -- Ottawa Goodtime Centre. Normally I'd buy tires from -- and have them mounted by -- my independent tech, but he was just too backed up with work. The Goodtime Centre only mounts tires you purchase from them. Some guys here will pooh pooh the need to balance the tires, but I always do and few people have the adapter for the rear wheels on BMWs.

Thanks!!! Dianne and I are rolling out the night of 8/5 and will be at the hotel sometime on the 7th. I will post my cell number in another thread in case you need to get in touch.

Well we are still in hover mode, Sharon is working on trading her one work day with a co worker and she will need to have it approved by the boss.

I still have a pretty good sized gas bubble in my eye but this is the first day I can actually read with both eyes open :)

If the bubble is gone by the 4th then the doc will let me go otherwise I am grounded :(

The bike is ready to go fresh tires and the starting problem is fixed, so is it time to go yet?

In an effort to maintain other people's sanity (mine is long gone and good riddance to it)I'll post my situation.

Haven't done jack yet except confirm reservation and co-habitants.

Ride up is still in the air, route included. Maybe alone, maybe riding with others in cages or on bikes.

Won't do much of anything until early next week except pull out some maps and peruse them.

Will plot the course and put it in the GPS next week as well as do most of the packing. Still working on the list of needed items.

Bike work was done last month before the aborted trip. Only a couple hundred miles since then.

My departure isn't until 8/6 so plenty of time to mess things up before then.

Hows that for a pile of useless info? Hope it helps.

I went ahead and planned my route up(on paper). Now where did I leave the GPS? :/

Wait, I didn't want to start this yet! Damn you! So much for procrastinating. :grin:

Considered riding to UN together, then she taking a one-way flight home? I feel for you...my wife had to back out for work reasons, too. Though it didn't work out, I found a one way from Birmingham to Asheville for less than $200, to try and get her there for at least part of it.

Just a thought. Cheers!

Sorry to hear I may not get to visit with Jenn too! But looking forward to catching up with you in person :-)

Speaking of which ... anybody heading through Nashville or points further East on Monday and willing to let me tag along?

As usual, I have no GPS; haven't looked at a real map yet; and haven't made any definite route decisions yet :-)

Speaking of which ... anybody heading through Nashville or points further East on Monday and willing to let me tag along?

As usual, I have no GPS; haven't looked at a real map yet; and haven't made any definite route decisions yet :-)

Check with Beemerboy, he's coming from waaay west of there.

RodB, how did you get that map embedded? What program?

I used the snipping tool in Windows 7, snipped what I wanted from Google maps, saved as a JPEG and then uploaded to Photobucket.

If you don't have Windows 7, the free Printkey software could work the same as the snipping tool.

terryofperry

Fubar

I may be able to meet where you cross I-20 in Athens. I will be coming from Middle Ga. on the 7th. I know it is not possible to nail down a time but somewhere close to what you think and maybe it would work.

Terry

Fubar

I may be able to meet where you cross I-20 in Athens. I will be coming from Middle Ga. on the 7th. I know it is not possible to nail down a time but somewhere close to what you think and maybe it would work.

Terry

Replied to PM. The more the scarier merrier. :grin::clap:

While looking at possible 2 day leisure routes to go down to the Inn and the UN with Armando, It dawned on me that I also signed up for a Chromehead event some time ago that starts the same day the UN ends in Lincoln NH!

OH OH, What to do?

Well, I did the Google to and from, I found out that the distance is just about 1100 miles!

Good opportunity to do an SS1000! What a better way to go? Plenty of friends and witness at both ends, Plenty of conditioning rides while in the Blue Ridge, Plenty of Local club rider support as I make my way past Albany on the way to Lincoln. I did Just over 800 miles on my C coming home from Johnson City in 14 hours From the MOA rally, What's another 4 or so hours to get to Lincoln? I think that will be the toughest part there, going through Vt and NH. If it gets too bad for me, I'll just give in when I pass home near Albany. What do you all think? If the weather is conductible for great riding all the way up I figure why not?

That would be UNbelievable Huh?

Looking for partial route wingmen for the journey up I40,77,81,88 and over to NH.

Perhaps do a side by side SS1000 from an attending Northeast UN goer!

lawnchairboy

tell GT boy he's welcome in chesapeake, va if his travels take him in that direction... I'll be back home around the 13th...

oh yeah,

and I have a lift and some tools...

just sayin'.

Launch time one week from tomorrow. Can't wait to get on the road. I looked at historic temp date for Little Switzerland and the record high for that week is 90. Looks like smooth sailing for the week.

Paul Mihalka
:thumbsup: I know how you feel! I know the feeling at starting a trip to the other side of the country. Have a great ride and see you there!
tell GT boy he's welcome in chesapeake, va if his travels take him in that direction... I'll be back home around the 13th...

oh yeah,

and I have a lift and some tools...

just sayin'.

Thanks, I will let him know. :clap:

Why did I go out and check my oil and tire pressure twice today?

Are we there yetAre we there yetAre we there yetAre we there yetAre we there yet?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Mihalka
Safe riding Micheal! Perhaps one of these days I'll do a X-country too!

Bob

Next year's Unrally, wherever it is! :thumbsup:

OldBMWMaster

I have finally gotten everything sorted from the BMWMOA. Now comes the hard part, getting Barbie to pack light.

I have finally gotten everything sorted from the BMWMOA. Now comes the hard part, getting Barbie to pack light.

Tell her she has to carry everything she wants to take in a backpack she must wear for the entire trip up. :thumbsup:

SIX DAYS TO LAUNCH

Am I packed yet? No.

Checked the oil level? No.

Checked tire pressures? No.

Been to the bank? No.

Gassed up? No.

Renewed my drivers license? No.

Got my new plates (which expire mid-trip)? No.

Planned the route? Yup.

Excited as a kid the night before Xmas? OH, HELL YEAH! :clap:

Bob

ME TOO - I am so envious of those about ready to launch!

Daughter's wedding is 41 days from now (9/10/11). As many of you on the Board know, I made a promise to my wife of 44 years last December when she asked me for the first time ever (since we started dating when we were 15 years old) to stay off the bike until after the wedding. She made it clear that neither she nor my daughter would ever forgive me if I was unable to walk my daughter down the aisle.

I have a bike trip planned for October and will plan on being at next year's UN no matter where it is. :thumbsup:

I hope all of you heading to this year's UN have great weather, a safe ride, and a fantastic adventure!

Bob

ME TOO - I am so envious of those about ready to launch!

Daughter's wedding is 41 days from now (9/10/11). As many of you on the Board know, I made a promise to my wife of 44 years last December when she asked me for the first time ever (since we started dating when we were 15 years old) to stay off the bike until after the wedding. She made it clear that neither she nor my daughter would ever forgive me if I was unable to walk my daughter down the aisle.

I have a bike trip planned for October and will plan on being at next year's UN no matter where it is. :thumbsup:

I hope all of you heading to this year's UN have great weather, a safe ride, and a fantastic adventure!

Bob, I hope my wife and daughters never see your post... :grin:

Excited as a kid the night before Xmas? OH, HELL YEAH! :clap:

Inspired by the reference to Xmas, I've made my very 1st attempt at a poem:

'Twas the week before Unrally, exitement spawning chatter,

Up to the mountains we'll go, where the land is less flatter.

Many are voicing their routes, all though the forum,

Some cancelling, some joining, all posts made with decorum.

Little Switzerland they say, is a beautiful place,

An Appalachian paradise, far from the rat race.

Motorcycling here, is a bit like heaven with curves,

Hoping each gets the weather that each deserves.

That's it, I'll let somebody else continue with it, if desired,

I would like to myself, but off to bed, I'm really tired.

July was a very busy month but it is now August and I am getting anxious to go! I now have 5 long work days before I can head out. I am leaving Atlanta early Saturday morning and hope to make it to Little Switzerland late Monday afternoon. Is it Friday yet?

As many of you on the Board know, I made a promise to my wife of 44 years last December when she asked me for the first time ever (since we started dating when we were 15 years old) to stay off the bike until after the wedding. She made it clear that neither she nor my daughter would ever forgive me if I was unable to walk my daughter down the aisle.

Bob, I hope my wife and daughters never see your post... :grin:

For this reason, and this reason alone, I am glad I have no daughters. Have a safe ride in Oct.

Archived