IGNORED

UnRally "X" Excited Chatter Thread

Endobob

Let's Get It UN!

Shawn and I are at it again, hosting a party for a few dozen of our closest friends and you’re all invited to join us August 8-11, 2011. ....

Matt and Shawn

Happy New Year to everyone!

This is going to be a busy and fun year for me. Daugther is getting married 30 days after the UnRally on 9/10/11 here in DC and then moving to Madrid, Spain for graduate school at the IE Business School for both she and her new husband. Looking forward to several motorcycle trips associated with our visits with them over the 16 months they plan on being in Spain.

My wife is not so sure about my heading off to the UnRally in August. I have had to assure her that I will be riding conservatively until after the wedding. :rofl:

So Matt and Shawn, is it to early to start an "UnRally "X" Excited Chatter Thread"? Of course if it is to early please have one of our able administrators deleate this thread.

Paul Mihalka

Happy New Year, and it is never too early! My main thing is what we have planned for 2011. Foremost we are going in September to Europe for a river cruise on the Danube from Nuremberg in Germany to Budapest/Hungary, my birth place. It's already paid for, offer was two for one if paid this December. Still not cheap. The Unrally obviously is a must. Now that I pretty much stopped working, the problem is that I'm shorter on money but longer on time. I'd love to ride to Torrey in May. OTOH NSA intercepted a message that there may be a Spring BRR. I'm so glad that Matt and Shawn apparently don't have a full time job. They couldn't do all this if they had one. :grin: So, Torrey, or BRR, or both? Time will tell...

is it to early to start an "UnRally "X" Excited Chatter Thread"?

Impossible! :grin:

I think about the UN every day. I'm looking forward to loading the bike and climbing aboard. Riding south from upstate NY is a beautiful ride.

Last Spring when I headed to BRR in NC my bike was covered in white stuff? Good thing is it fell off after a few miles. Heading south in August is a piece of cake!

859166950_EeNk4-S.jpg

Hey gang, maybe we can throw a wedding shower for Bob sometime during the Un.

I've been married for 44 years! It is my daughter's wedding. I just need to stay healthy to continue to work and pay for the wedding. :grin:

Happy New Year, and it is never too early! My main thing is what we have planned for 2011. Foremost we are going in September to Europe for a river cruise on the Danube from Nuremberg in Germany to Budapest/Hungary, my birth place. It's already paid for, offer was two for one if paid this December. Still not cheap. The Unrally obviously is a must. Now that I pretty much stopped working, the problem is that I'm shorter on money but longer on time. I'd love to ride to Torrey in May. OTOH NSA intercepted a message that there may be a Spring BRR. I'm so glad that Matt and Shawn apparently don't have a full time job. They couldn't do all this if they had one. :grin: So, Torrey, or BRR, or both? Time will tell...

I am JEALOUS!! I loved Budapest --- one of my favorite side trips while studying in Salzburg back in '94 :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I need to get my registration in for this one! I'll know people from the BRR and the BBQ! Besides, this is almost in my back yard.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Kyle.

• 2 months later...
John Ranalletta
Foremost we are going in September to Europe for a river cruise on the Danube from Nuremberg in Germany to Budapest/Hungary, my birth place.
Paul, I'm working in Tiszaujvaros for a few days, but we're going over early to spend 3-4 days in Budapest next month. If you have recommendations for lodging, I'd appreciate them. Normally, I stay at Americanized hotels like the Marriott, etc., but we really want to stay in accommodations that reflect the country and culture.

TIA

Paul Mihalka

Sorry John, no recommendations. It's now a long time that we went last, and then also as tourists for 4-5 days. With the cruise we will be staying at the hotel that is part of the cruise package. I think it's a Hilton.

Enjoy the trip and eat well - if you have a Dreher beer, that was in my family maaaany years back...

• 1 month later...

Starting to get excited. Have a route planned - riding 36 all the way to Ohio unless it bores us out of our minds then we'll improvise. New tires sitting in the garage waiting for install. Want to scrub off some rubber from the old ones before installing. Have to check the rear brakes for wear but other than that and the tires we're good to go.

Torrey just got us reved up and eager to go. Need to check out the internet to see if we're passing by any road attractions like big balls of string or buried cadillacs. This is the first time we won't have to be in a hurry.

See you all there.

Starting to get excited. Have a route planned - riding 36 all the way to Ohio unless it bores us out of our minds then we'll improvise. New tires sitting in the garage waiting for install. Want to scrub off some rubber from the old ones before installing. Have to check the rear brakes for wear but other than that and the tires we're good to go.

Torrey just got us reved up and eager to go. Need to check out the internet to see if we're passing by any road attractions like big balls of string or buried cadillacs. This is the first time we won't have to be in a hurry.

See you all there.

That reminds me..............

Gotta get going with some good ones for planning from my neck of the woods. Obligatory stop will be Lurray Caverns on the way down.

Yesterday I did a day ride that included the area of the upcoming UnRally. Most of the roads are in good shape.

A few pics:

Road about 30 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway

DSCN2233.JPG

Mount Mitchell was in clouds so I didn't stop.

DSCN2235.JPG

A view from one of the many overlooks

DSCN2239.JPG

Southeast of Asheville at Lake Lure

DSCN2242.JPG

A fun ride up 226A to Little Switzerland

DSCN2243.JPG

The Little Switzerland Inn Village

DSCN2245.JPG

I walked around inside the lodge, but unfortunately had left my camera on the bike. Great views out the back.

Everyone is going to love this location!

Matts_12GS

I am soooo ready for this.

Tshirt logos are complete, orders getting ready to go to Whip shortly.

It's going to be a GREAT one...

Lone_RT_rider
I am soooo ready for this.

Tshirt logos are complete, orders getting ready to go to Whip shortly.

It's going to be a GREAT one...

Is it ALREADY TIME? Man it feels like the last year has just flow by. With BRR on the rocks right now, this may be the last hurrah in the smokies this year. It's going to be AWESOME!!!

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting. Can't wait.

Headed for Aerostitch website for some last minute goodies.

:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Only 56 days or 1344 hours or 80640 minutes or 4838400 seconds or 2 cycles of the moon to launch. I'm not anxious for this at all.......

56 days! I need to start planning. I'm arriving at the UN on Monday. I want to tour the JD distillery in Lynchburg, TN on Sunday. I can cross the Canada/US border August 4th, either at Niagara Falls or Port Huron.

So, in between the border & Lynchburg, does anybody have any route recommendations or special places to stop? (I don't really require the most expensive places to stop)

Gonna get this thread going again ...

Guess who's Finally IN for the UN???

Yep!! That's right! It's me!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!

Paul Mihalka

Woo Hoo!!!!

:thumbsup::clap::wave:

Woo Hoo!!!!

:thumbsup::clap::wave:

:clap::wave::clap:

Thanks for posting the pictures :thumbsup:. I'm really looking forward to getting back to those mountains... even if I have to fly out! It will be GREAT to see everyone again!

Richard is getting very excited also..... he has a pile of maps

IMG1382-M.jpg he is referencing as he makes plans for his 3+ week adventure to the UN and back. He's like a little kid waiting for Christmas. :clap::clap:

40 days and 40 nights to launch........

960 hours

57,600 minutes

3456,000seconds.....

tick, tick, tick

Are we there yet???????

960 hours

57,600 minutes

3456,000seconds.....

tick, tick, tick

Are we there yet???????

Just enough time for the world to flood. Could there be a scrub for this mission?

Lone_RT_rider

960 hours

57,600 minutes

3456,000seconds.....

tick, tick, tick

Are we there yet???????

Just enough time for the world to flood. Could there be a scrub for this mission?

If you start checking the long term weather forecast 40 days out, I am personally coming up there to Chicago and take that RTP of yours!

Ok people, listen up!!!!

One thing everyone needs to know about the weather forecast for the North Carolina Smokie mountains is that it is suspect until at least 24 hours in advance. Don't trust a report and whatever you do, don't cancel based on weather.

Even if we do have weather issues, you can always plan your day rides based on the doppler. We will have multiple routes set up in both GPS and paper form that can take you out of the fronts that are moving through at any given time. If the front is in the North East direction, ride the South Western route for that day. Simple! :)

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

Hey, I wouldn't mind a rainy day. it would mean that I spend some more time with you guys and gals instead of riding out on roads I've probably ridden before... :thumbsup: I would be making lemonade...

Nice n Easy Rider
Hey, I wouldn't mind a rainy day. it would mean that I spend some more time with you guys and gals instead of riding out on roads I've probably ridden before... :thumbsup: I would be making lemonade...

Now that's the proper spirit Paul! :thumbsup:

Now that's the proper spirit Paul! :thumbsup:

And their bar has proper spirits of the liquid kind. Well, at least rum and cokes and the white zinfendal.

Bill

Nice n Easy Rider
Hey George,

New avatar, eh. Who IS that handsome guy?

Tom,

Unfortunately that was the most creative thing (actually, the only thing!) that this digitally-challenged person could come up with. :grin:

I head out next Sunday (the 10th). Taking the long way to the UN with a stop along the way at the MOA rally in Bloomsberg. Will be picking up my wife, Janet, in DC on the 31st, and working our way down the BRP to Little Switzerland. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

I head out next Sunday (the 10th). Taking the long way to the UN with a stop along the way at the MOA rally in Bloomsberg. Will be picking up my wife, Janet, in DC on the 31st, and working our way down the BRP to Little Switzerland. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Now the real excitement begins!!

Have a safe trip and we'll see ya there!

Gar and I are heading out the 12th also taking the long way out stopping in Bloomsburg then up to see Dad for a week then heading down to NC. Praying for cooler weather but thinking that's not going to happen. Getting very excited.

Calvin  (no socks)

I went out in search of cooler temps this morning in North Florida....at 04:30 I found a spot that was 68 degrees and 95% humidity...it was a wet cool....brrrrrrr. With my summer jacket I was chilly...It will be cool in the mountian tops in August in North Carolina....

I went out in search of cooler temps this morning in North Florida....at 04:30 I found a spot that was 68 degrees and 95% humidity...it was a wet cool....brrrrrrr. With my summer jacket I was chilly...It will be cool in the mountian tops in August in North Carolina....

Are we talking electrics, UA Cool gear type of cool? I've checked the temps for past years and it looks like this:

AVERAGES RECORDS

Hi 82°F Hi 95°F

Lo 46°F Lo 58°F

Is this close to what we should expect or do we need to pack warm gear as well.

Paul Mihalka

On any long trip I take my electric jacket, even in August. It is a nice light layer, if I don't need more warmth I don't plug it in.

On any long trip I take my electric jacket, even in August. It is a nice light layer, if I don't need more warmth I don't plug it in.

Yeah that's what we were thinking too, just in case we decide to head north on the way back. Electrics and passport.

woohoo getting excited now!

Paul Mihalka
One more day then we leave for the east coast, National rally, then on to the UN. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have a great trip and see you in a month! :clap:

George Brown

Dave, I'll be in Bloomsburg Sunday evening the 17th through Thursday the 21st working with the Mac-Pac helping to set up the rally site. Be staying a the Red Roof Inn at I-80 exit 224. Couldn't get a room for Thursday night so I may camp at the fairgrounds if I can borrow a tent from a buddy. Then again may just head home and save my rally fee.

If we complete our set-up tasks on Monday or Tuesday, I'm planning a 200 - 300 mile loop to visit a few PA County Seats in north central PA. (I'm trying to complete that project that I started in 2007 but has been interrupted with shoulder and wrist surgeries as well as a daughter's wedding. Still have 24 of the 67 to complete)

Jack Riepe a fellow Mac-Pacer and BMW ON columnist will be giving a seminar Friday AM at 9:30AM. I'm thinking of staying for it but Judy and I and some of our family are going to Ocean City, NJ for a week starting Saturday so I'm in somewhat of a time crunch the 21-23rd. Jack's a pretty witty guy so his seminar should be fun.

We return home from OC on the 31st then leave on the 5th to visit one of our daughters in High Point, NC before going to the UN.

If you get into the Bloomsburg area before the rally give me a shout. Meanwhile, ride safe!

On the road in Lamar CO. Whole town was in black out mode. Blew a bunch of transformers so no power. Guess we'll go to bed and get an early start to try and beat the heat.

Routes loaded in the GPS, plans to visit friends along the way complete. Only 16 days or 384 hours or 23,040 minutes or 1,382,400 seconds to launch. Are we there yet!!!!!Are we there yet!!!!!Are we there yet!!!!!

Every time I look at the weather forecast for Little Switzerland, it says high in the low 80s and low in the 60s. Great riding weather.

The view from the Lodge:

BRP-June-2011-012-M.jpg

Bill

Too late now, I looked. There should be a rule not to post Pre-Unrally destination photos...kind of like seeing the bride before the wedding.

At least there should be a few more directions/views that are waiting to be seen. :)

Archived