IGNORED

Denso Iridium plugs

johnlt

Does anyone have experience with the Denso Iridium plugs on their R12RT. I bought a set some time ago and am doing a complete service and think about changing out my NGKs (which still look good). I'd appreciate any info you may have on these plugs.

I don't have any experience with the Denso version but I have had good results with the NGK iridium plugs. The Denso should work OK.

It would be interesting in a few months to hear a report of how life has changed for your bike with the different plugs from the regular NGK's.

Ease of starting, power increase, mileage...

CoarsegoldKid

I'm probably going to get flack for this statement but given like for like heat range and technology between the plugs I say "plugs is plugs". Get'em. They will be fine.

The NGKs look pretty good, especially the upper ones. The upper plugs still have the squared-off center electrode but both of the lower plugs have rounded-off center electrodes. I guess I'll go ahead and replace them with the Denso Iridium Power 5308s

At 112k miles, I removed and renewed my NGKs. Had never been renewed. Gaps of 1.45 mm were much larger than allowable, although the bike started and ran very well, with fuel economy unchanged for 50k miles.

I generally wait to renew plugs 'til driveability ot fuel economy deteriorate, but figure these deserved renewing.

It would be interesting in a few months to hear a report of how life has changed for your bike with the different plugs from the regular NGK's.

Ease of starting, power increase, mileage...

I replaced my plugs at 24K with NGK Iridiums. The bike ran the same, but I did notice a slight (about 2 mpg on average) increase in economy over the next 20,000 miles. The real reason for installing them was to get longer life. I also run them in the GSXR and I've been replacing them at 25,000 mile intervals, vs. the OEM 7,500 mile recommendation. I could probably run them longer if I want.

Just took it on a test ride and it seems to ride a little smoother, especially at low RPM. Idle is smoother also. Not sure it was due to the plugs because I did a TB sync at the same time.

I have used them for years in my R1150RT. The primary advantage to me is ease of starting and immediate ability to drive off, regardless of outside temperature. That, and they do not degrade.......I have replaced them after 24k, with not indication that the new ones worked better.

Another thought for those looking for better/cheaper plugs for their current hexhead.

The "BMW only" stock NGK plug has a commonly available platinum equivalent (heat range, size, dual electrode, etc) equivalent used in BMW cars that is commonly available at about half the price of the stock nickel one. The factory recommended change interval for plugs is about $24K miles and the platinums should be good for twice that at 1/2 the cost, cutting plug costs at least 4X.

Not sure why anyone would want or need 4 expensive iridiums that aren't the same configuration a stock. sure they'll work but will a single electrode iridium outlast a dual electrode platinum? Why run up plug costs per mile of use?

Another thought for those looking for better/cheaper plugs for their current hexhead.

The "BMW only" stock NGK plug has a commonly available platinum equivalent (heat range, size, dual electrode, etc) equivalent used in BMW cars that is commonly available at about half the price of the stock nickel one. The factory recommended change interval for plugs is about $24K miles and the platinums should be good for twice that at 1/2 the cost, cutting plug costs at least 4X.

Not sure why anyone would want or need 4 expensive iridiums that aren't the same configuration a stock. sure they'll work but will a single electrode iridium outlast a dual electrode platinum? Why run up plug costs per mile of use?

The iridiums are cheaper than the "platinum equialent" that you referred to. I ran a set of NGK iridiums for 48k in my RT with good results. I replaced those iridiums with new "platinum equivalent" ones and I actually think it ran better with the old iridiums than it does with the new platinums.

If they perform better, why would you care if they deviate from stock configuration? Plug costs per mile are minor compared to other parts of the equation. Fuel and tire costs are major. Yes single electrode Iridiums will outlast standard dual electrode plugs, and in my opinion, the less you have to tear fairings off, remove and re-torque plugs, etc... the better off your bike will be. Admittedly this is not a huge issue with an RT since the plugs are easily accessible, but in some other bikes it can be a big issue.

Archived