IGNORED

Mid Layer Recomendations

Troy

I'm looking for recommendations for mid layer non electric riding gear. Some of my stuff is getting a bit worn out and I'm going to be replacing it soon. Base layer is taken care of and I've decided on a Roadcrafter 2 pc to replace my older Tourmaster gear.

I want something packable that I can use on and off the bike. I have a couple of mid weight fleece pull overs that I use now.

I'd recommend fleece or a down sweater. They are packable, wearable alone and fluff up to hold a lot of air (insulation) as a mid layer. The Aerostich fleece liner jacket works quite well in this regard and if I recall, has a nylon liner of its own to block wind when worn alone.

1+ or is that 2+ for the AeroStitch Darien liner. Has a million pockets too. I've used it as carry-on luggage.

With the Darien jacket and a Gerbing jacket liner and the Darien liner, I didn't turn the Gerbing on, I was warm enough.

I've used the REI silks for keeping the legs more comfy too.

Patagonia--either the nano puff or the R1 regulater grid fleece. Wait for it to go on sale; really good stuff but expensive.

---

Yes,good as an intermediate layer,but not real warm by itself and I don't find the windwall to be as effective as windpro or even better,Goretex Windstopper.

If you can find Goretex Windstopper,that's the best bet,even though its spendy.

Mountain Hardware has a variety of Windstopper garments.

I have a Bikers Comfort in Action Windstopper pullover and one of their Windstopper Airvantage vests,these are my main travel layering garments and are often enough that I don't need electrics(still carry them,though!

Got them both at a great closeout deal at the BMWMOA rally in Wyoming a few years back.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/bc/

Addendum-looked around and it seems like they are only producing base layers now,although at least one place still has the vest and pullover listed.

JR356

If you can find Goretex Windstopper,that's the best bet,even though its spendy.

Mountain Hardware has a variety of Windstopper garments.

Works for me :thumbsup:

Take a look at the Roadgear Adaptive Tech jacket. This is an extremely light, extremely compact when compressed zipper jacket that is a light fleece/phase change material combo. I use one and carry it on the bike most of the time. (replacing an excellent Aerostich fleece jacket that was no warmer and much larger volume and is now for car duty rather than packed on the bike). I also like this jacket for around camp and for tent sleeping with my shoulders exposed when temps go below 50- no need for keeping that neck tight.

Note that phase change material in the first few seconds after it is put on may have a bit of a "clammy" type feeling due to the temp effect of the phase change material but it quickly goes away. Phase change is warm (and cool) all out proportion to its bulk and more folks ought to try it. Cheap it isn't.

I do not like down for a bike- essentially worthless when wet or very damp and I will ride in a frog choker if "necessary". And I don't depend on mid layer stuff for wind or waterproofing- I try to keep that as external as possible so prefer an external GoreTex (still by far the best available) rain suit to liners.

My preferences are based on 12 month riding in everything from low 20s to 100+ with very high humidity plus the need to deal with varying conditions when touring, riding in the mountains, etc. If I rode only in a local area around my home, my choice might be a little different but after nearly 50 yrs of riding, I use a "layered system" I know works for me while continually keeping an eye open for improved system components - like the phase change jacket.

Archived