IGNORED

1st on the 1st

Sonor

I started a tradition for me a few years ago, going for the first ride of the year on the first. There have been many times when the weather was, , , challenging to say the least. But today's was not the case. Last weekend we woke on Sunday to find 5 inches of snow but during the week, we hit days in the fifties and as a result, most is gone. Today, 1/1/11 - a friend of mine and took off on our bikes. Only put in about 65 miles, but the tradition continues. Since we left at 10:30 A, there weren't that many cars on the road but the clouds were rolling in. We ended after about 65 miles, but what a day. May everyone have a good riding season in the year ahead.

Z,

I too decided to start the year off with a ride, even though a little further north. The RT warmed up nicely and as you described, there were very few cagers about. I couldn't even tell you where I rode, because I just kept taking back roads that I did not know.

I know without pics it didn't happen, but it was great way to start the New Year.

I did the same. 80 mile Starbucks run yesterday. We had 18 inches of snow last Sunday, but the roads had cleared.. Temps got into the mid 50's. Perfect.

Saw a lot of other guys representing the brand as well...

Sonor, I should have waved on my way home yesterday. I went to the Cycle Gear sale in Raleigh and the bike was running so well, that I overshot on the way home and did a nice ride through the country before heading home. Saxapahaw, Snow Camp, Liberty and a late lunch in Mebane before going home to Durham. Lot of bikes out. Funny how much better my bike runs when I've been off of it for a while.

----

Quinn,

We took off towards Roxboro, then did 49 to Mebane, a couple more back roads ended up on 70 E back to Hillsborough. Sounds like you had a great ride as well. I like those roads south of I-85.

I did about 250 with Knifemaker and BMWNEF comrades and did a huge lunch buffet out west of here. I took a few pictures, but there's neither food nor motorcycle in them.

We stopped for coffee to finish the day and then I shot a few photos of sunset on the way home.

Here's what I saw coming across the bridge:

1144647021_DYoxY-M.jpg

I got in my longest ride yet on my new-to-me RT on 1/1 of about 200 miles. It was in the 50's, snow and ice gone but roads still wet, lots of sandy/salty spray crud covering us when we got home. Not great riding but better than nothing.

Here's a crappy cell pic of me and a buddy as we stopped for a look off an old single lane bridge over the James.

bridge.jpg

Quinn,

We took off towards Roxboro, then did 49 to Mebane, a couple more back roads ended up on 70 E back to Hillsborough. Sounds like you had a great ride as well. I like those roads south of I-85.

If you're going to ride north of 85, try to arrange it so you can have lunch at Bob's barbecue in Creedmore. Some good roads winding around in the country between 15-501 and Butner; and it's the best barbecue in the area.

---

Quinn - Thanks I am always looking for good BBQ - just hard to find.

If you ever want to spend a day and ride up to Maybry Mill, let me know. It is something that a few us do on a semi regular basis for mental health. We had out of Hillsborough up 86 to 58 and straight over.

Happy New Year! I did a lot of riding around Massachusetts and Rhode Island on the first.. continuing the season of eating...

Here is a pic of my main "Sport Touring" bike (ha ha.. its a 1983 R80RT) outside a friends house, overlooking the Mount Hope Bridge. The moon was high, the Christmas lights had just started to come on, and I had a lovely ride home in 45 degree weather.. didn't even need to use the electrics..

There was upwards of 2 feet of snow on the ground from a the big storm the monday prior...

rtmhb1_sm.JPG

Cheers everyone!

-Ken

http://www.kenspring.com/tracking/motorcycle/

Archived