IGNORED

Took my boys for his first ride on the BMW today

leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

This morning we did our customary January 1st Polar Bear ride. On January 1st there is a bunch of water skiers that go down to the MS river and waterski for charity. We bought my son some new gear while on vacation back around Thanksgiving and he has been on me to take him for a ride. Up until now all he has ridden on was Harleys. He said "Dad I can't believe how quiet this bike is" :D ....He is already asking when his next ride is going to be.

0d1fd86c.jpg

2a66e373.jpg

Shoot, at his age, I'd just want to dress up in all that gear even without the motorcycle ride to go with it. That would be such peer prestige I'd be the cool guy at school for weeks. This is what Power Rangers really look like.

----

Awesome stuff Lee!

I had my son out with me on New Year's Eve during the day.

As mentioned above, they grow fast. Talk to BMW dealers and see if you can find a back stock BMW "Stoke" suit. It has zippers in the arms and legs that let them drop about 3 inches to allow for growth.

I have 2 sets for Nate as he grows and so far it really has worked well for him. I managed to the pieces for under $100 each for jacket and pants.

leeinmemphis

yeah he has done some fairly long rides with me over the past couple of years. Two years ago he rode with me in the pouring rain up to Springfield Ill for the dirt track races and he loved every minute of it. I'm thinking about bringing him to the unrally. He would ride with me every time the bike cranks if I let him. I'm just a little uneasy because some days he has a hard time staying awake on the bike. :) Guess I'm starting to ride like an old man. :D

leeinmemphis
Great ATGATT, only trouble is these youngsters grow so fast, new gear every 6 months :eek:

I don't mind buying the gear. As long as they want to ride with me and use the gear then I don't mind the cost. The Jacket is an Olympia mesh XS womans jacket. The boys have been wearing this jacket for the last few years. I think that I'll probably end up getting them a mens small jacket sometime in the next year.

Lee,

My son will be with me and the wife and will be riding with me at the UN. Bring yours along, they can play when we aren't playing. Heck, I think I may even know of a sitter to watch the boys while the grown ups go play a little bit...

yeah he has done some fairly long rides with me over the past couple of years. Two years ago he rode with me in the pouring rain up to Springfield Ill for the dirt track races and he loved every minute of it. I'm thinking about bringing him to the unrally. He would ride with me every time the bike cranks if I let him. I'm just a little uneasy because some days he has a hard time staying awake on the bike. :) Guess I'm starting to ride like an old man. :D

I have the same problem, can't stay awake on the bike, in the cage, or in the recliner. :eek: Aint life great :thumbsup:

How old R your sons ? I would love to take mine but for the contract that I signed with my wife to get the bike;"kids will not be allowed on the bike unless you wish to forsake bed priv." :cry:.Mine are 11 now hopefully in a few years I can loosen the wife up. :S

leeinmemphis
How old R your sons ? I would love to take mine but for the contract that I signed with my wife to get the bike;"kids will not be allowed on the bike unless you wish to forsake bed priv." :cry:.Mine are 11 now hopefully in a few years I can loosen the wife up. :S

They are 10 and 11 y/o. My younger son is the one that just craves riding. My 11 y/o is good for a couple hundred miles then he is pretty much ready to get off. My 10 y/o could ride all day(not that I would let him yet). He is already asking me which rallys he will get to go to this year. I'm also planning an Alaska trip for '12 and he is all bummed that I won't let him come along. :)

I'm hoping to take my son to AK in 12, leaving soon after school is out and doing a month or so to get there and back. I might not go quite as far north or camp as much as I would without him, but heck, I can't think of a better trip to spend like that.

I'm fortunate in this sense though that I only have one kid, I could see sibling rivalry making that a tough one.

In response to:

Poster: Froggy

Subject: Re: Took my boys for his first ride on the BMW today

Its a great thing to be able to share your passion with your kids.

+1

My daughter is a pretty darn good dirt bike rider and she got her first quad {god I hate quads but my wife didnt want her on a bike} at 6 yrs old. She never liked it much, so I thought she just wasnt gonna be into riding.

Man was I wrong, she hopped on a friends like 90cc yamaha dirt bike at 8yr old, and that was it. She was all in. She raced back into camp after 5 mins yelling at me, "DAD how much can we sell my quad for...I WANNA BIKE"

My wife was pissed. That was 9 years ago and 3 new bikes ago. A friend bought her quad that day from us, and within the week we were at the dealer buying her a new Suzuki DRZ110. At 11yrs old she got a Yamaha TTR125LE that she rode the wheels off of for 3 years. The when she was 14 she wanted a full size bike, I found a really good deal on a new Yamaha Wr250F and she loves it. She is really impressive on it.

We have a tradition, on the last afternoon of every riding week end we go out for a daddy daughter ride. No one else allowed, just the 2 of us for some solo bonding. I have her point to a direction she wants to explore and off we go thru the desert for an hour or so ride. We come back and load up and head home. It is always a highlight of our weekends and a cherished tradition.

At 17 yrs old we still are very close and she loves to go on daddy daughter dates out for dinner and a movie on the BMW with me. You cant beat quality time spent doing any shared passion, bikes or chinese checkers, it is about time and communication. When we get out into the desert on our daddy daughter ride we always kick back on some hill top, enjoy the views and talk about the important things in life.

Even if she decides to sell her bike in the future, you can never change the great memmories.

Archived