IGNORED

50th Season... starting today

Peter Parts

Seems like only yesterday, just starting grad school, midnight rides over the Brooklyn Bridge with my wife at the time. Who wadda thunk?

I've hardly missed riding in any month since that time. Might miss a month this winter since I have a Bernhard Bauer Power chip to stuff into the Motronic along with a trick switching scheme to chose among his maps.

Unusual thick fog, rainy, and record-breaking 10C (about 50F) in Toronto for my usual New Years Day ride. Sure nice not to need the Gerbings stuff and visor anti-fog.

Wishing everybody a good riding season.

Ben

damp in Toronto

Thanks for good wishes.

I'm thinking of what kind of light-weight bike to consider when I get old. A lot of old riders think it is OK if they have the strength to twist the throttle even if they can barely manage to wrangle their bikes when stationary.

Sadly, unlike the elves who design BMW bikes, the electric bike crowd are firmly committed to lightness. Ask any past Lotus owner (ahem, ahem) how they feel about Corvettes (big engine begets big frame, big frame begets big suspension, big......).

Or possibly a 1983 R80ST.

Ben

About the BBP chip mentioned earlier, make that "Bernhard Bludau" chipmaker.

Bernhard Bludau link

Not at the quarter century age-wise yet, but I do consider a lighter bike or other options frequently (just to have as an option vs the heavy RT at this point) - some have mentioned the Piaggio MP3 500 and of course the Can Am are also options. Some of the lower CC bike still tip the scales pretty good.

The MP3 500 looks interesting. Perhaps a compromise between it and the Can Am will be forth coming.

5372.thumb.jpg.dceca943b22dd4ddd613e8c62a05af8f.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Congrats.

the electric bike crowd are firmly committed to lightness. Ask any past Lotus owner (ahem, ahem) how they feel about Corvettes (big engine begets big frame, big frame begets big suspension, big......).

Was a corner worker for a couple seasons at Sears and Seca. Used to watch slack jawed at the Elan S2 running away from the Detroit iron in, I think, GT1. Quiet too. Unfortunately many years later and still can't afford one.

Archived