IGNORED

Edelweiss advice

WestTX RT

OK guys, we are less than a month away now. If you are interested, my blog is a little more up to date with some of the details.

Blog

I have a couple more questions. I've been running an Autocom for years. I normally run XM on my Zumo and have all the music I need. As an option, I can run Pandora on my Droid, if I'm in good data coverage. I got a new set of Sena SMH10 headsets for Father's Day. They are pretty cool. I'm ordering a new MultiTech tomorrow, but I fitted the other on an old HJC and KK's helmet. On the music side, I'm guessing my only option right now is to take my IPod. I don't use it much, and I don't have a lot of tunes on it. Any other ideas for music access?

Also, Verizon will send me a Euro compatible phone for 19.99 shipping and about 1.27 a minute, and I keep my number. We can talk to most of the family, and even the office on Skype or Yahoo Messenger on KK's IPad2 (soon to arrive). Is this the best option?

TIA

Francois_Dumas
, and even the office on Skype or Yahoo Messenger on KK's IPad2 (soon to arrive). Is this the best option?

TIA

Skype is definitely the cheapest option and there are many Wifi Hotspots around Europe now. Mostly at fuel stations. Many hotels - but not all - have Wifi too, sometimes free, sometimes not.

Hi Darrell. I am local so let me know when you have a definite schedule: I may pop up and say hi.

Pletch and Kakugo,

Here's the route:

15.07 Kastenienhof in Erding

16.07 Eisenhut in Rothenburg ob du Tauber

17.07 Zum Ritter St. Georg in Heidelberg

18.07 Hotel De La Tour in Ribeauvile, FR

19.07 Promenade in Schauffhausen, CH

20.07 Jageralpe in Warth -Hochrumbach, AT

21.07 back in Erding

We are supposed to be at the hotel by five each day. It'd be kind of cool to say hi.

Interesting thread. Please keep us updated.

We are looking at their Central Alps tour in late August. Two up. Wife really needs a backrest to feel comfortable.

We've been in the area several times in a cage. Gorgeous scenery. Enjoy the trip!

Guest Kakugo

Pretty busy schedule that week for myself but I'll see if I can pop up in Warth to say hello. That small village is amid some of the most glorious roads of the Alps: Silvretta, Flexenpass, Hochtannbergpass, Faschinajoch etc. All roads in the area were resurfaced last year with excellent tarmac. :thumbsup:

Interesting thread. Please keep us updated.

We are looking at their Central Alps tour in late August. Two up. Wife really needs a backrest to feel comfortable.

Larry,

I made that request and they said they'd take care of it and make sure the GS had a top case.

Pretty busy schedule that week for myself but I'll see if I can pop up in Warth to say hello. That small village is amid some of the most glorious roads of the Alps: Silvretta, Flexenpass, Hochtannbergpass, Faschinajoch etc. All roads in the area were resurfaced last year with excellent tarmac. :thumbsup:

You guys are are getting me really pumped up about this trip. We've had 105 degree heat, high winds, and no rain to speak of the whole year. This will be a major change of scenery. :clap:

Having lived in Zurich, Switzerland for quite some time, and ridden the Alps, the 'Ultimate Alp Tour' (or whatever it's called now) is the one I would choose hands down! The other one looks like a typical tourist route... Of course, your mileage may vary :)

Sure you've done your homework & know what kind of riding you're in for. We did the B.O.E. in 96 & was a little disappointed with the first half of the trip. Culture yes, Switchbacks no. Two years prior, we did the Affordable Alps Tour (name change since then) & thought without a doubt this was my heaven. :thumbsup:

We rode a single cylinder F650 & rung the snot out of it! :grin:

Best of Europe

BOE_BestofEurope_2011.jpg

VS

The Ultimate Alps Tour

CUA_UltimateAlps_2011.jpg

Ps.. The Ultimate Alps Tour is an upgrade from the alps tour we did.

Pat

Francois_Dumas

'Ultimate' is a nice marketing phrase. And there are some GREAT roads in that our.. but they're missing out on some 75% of Alps passes still ;-)

The Europe Tour is a good mix and very suited for riders with a little less alpine experience. It provides a nice mix of impressions of various European roads and regions.

Agreed. Would probably take more time than most are willing/able to commit to do them all, or at least the majority/funnest ones. I had, after all, from 1984 to 1995 to play in the Alps...

Francois_Dumas

True. I've been crossing the passes in all directions for the past 50+ years and haven't seen them all yet. :)

It is a pity Americans have so little vacation days and always have to cram too much in too little time to truly be able to savour the joys of the mountains and all the different cultures of the Alpine countries here.

Edelweiss is doing a great job, but they always have to cater for large groups and hence keep things rather superficial. That also keeps their price down of course, which is a plus :)

True. I've been crossing the passes in all directions for the past 50+ years and haven't seen them all yet. :)

It is a pity Americans have so little vacation days and always have to cram too much in too little time to truly be able to savour the joys of the mountains and all the different cultures of the Alpine countries here.

Edelweiss is doing a great job, but they always have to cater for large groups and hence keep things rather superficial. That also keeps their price down of course, which is a plus :)

Yes, a pity indeed. Edelweiss does make it easy for us to just turn the key and go. I like that they give you options. Ride with the group or just be at the next stop that night. On an Edelweiss Tuscany trip in 2005 a few of us broke off and did our own thing most days. It was fantastic.

I will be free when you pass through Heidelberg, so I will probably link up with you the evening you overnight, have a beer or two, maybe show you a couple things the we locals know. On the 8th, I think following you guys down south would be nice, that is an amazing area. Hey, any excuse to ride right. Sounds like fun!

I will be free when you pass through Heidelberg, so I will probably link up with you the evening you overnight, have a beer or two, maybe show you a couple things the we locals know. On the 8th, I think following you guys down south would be nice, that is an amazing area. Hey, any excuse to ride right. Sounds like fun!

Yeah it does. That's what's most exciting to me about this trip, getting some cultural experiences I'v never had. It'll be cool if you can get over there.

Blog

I've updated the Blog. Several in the group have started emails around to get acquainted. As usual, the Canadians started the party. I'm glad we have several on this trip.

Blog

I've updated the Blog. Several in the group have started emails around to get acquainted.

Think I mentioned this before, I've been riding with someone I consider a good friend that I met on one of their tours seventeen years ago. Looking forward to your story & pics! :thumbsup:

Pat

Tewks,

Canadians and Texans must be a match. Any time I've hung out with them, I have a good time. I think it's a good move on Edelweiss' part to put out a participant list.

• 2 weeks later...

We're off tomorrow afternoon for the getting out leg of the trip. I've linked the blog here, so you can follow if you like.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and input in the process, I'll try to get as many pics up as I can.

Archived