IGNORED

Clock Reset

Chef Eric

02 R1150RT / Why does my clock reset to 00:00? The bike starts up fine. I can't tell if it does it when something goes wrong. It reset once when my fuse went out for my heated grips and it went the same night as when my low beam bulb went out. Or if it is just a coincedence due to another problem.

Thanks!

It is probably because your battery is getting weak and the load of the starter drops the voltage enough to reset the clock. You could also have loose/corroded connections on the battery or the starter.

I agree with Ltljohn. Do your ABS lights flash alternately as well? That would definatly indicate battery or connector problems. If the lights are not showing a fault , then there is another circuit problem affecting the clock. Almost sounds like a wiring gremlin with those multiple problems :S

How far apart did the fuse blow, the bulb blow, and the most recent clock reset happen?

If these events have all happened in quick succession, you may have a bigger problem, like a short circuit or a ground issue.

It could of course be a battery that has a dead cell. It may show 12-14 volts on a simple volt meter, but when under load it drops voltage causing any or ALL of your electrical woes.

Bottom line is, the clock resets whenever voltage is interupted. Find the interuption, find the clock problem.

A weak battery or a bad connection to one of it's leads. I had it on my GS, it was indicating for how long I was riding and not the actual time :D

And it was also stopping every now and then, once during an overcome.

Dan

Morning Chef,

When I first got my R1100RT it had sat for a while. I was having the clock reset and the ABS light tripping issues that are so common. I was ready to buy a new battery even though the one in my bike looked pretty new and was fully charged.

While I had the tupperware off for my first valve adjustment, I completely cleaned my battery terminals and each one of the wire eyelets with some sand paper because they looked a bit oxidized.

Whallah no more problems with anything electrical since then.

Its a cheap first step that may solve your issues or at least eliminate one.

What everyone else said about connections, starter drag, etc. Also, starting the bike the first time in the morning during cold weather will make my RS clock reset.

Might also be worth dropping down to 5W40 or 30 engine oil if its only a cold weather thing as 20W50's is pretty heavy in cold weather adding a lot of starting load.

Might also be worth dropping down to 5W40 or 30 engine oil if its only a cold weather thing as 20W50's is pretty heavy in cold weather adding a lot of starting load.

Better to move to 15-50 or I think I saw 0-50 synthetic. 20-50 synthetic is just fine in the winter around here.

Ben

02 R1150RT / Why does my clock reset to 00:00? The bike starts up fine. I can't tell if it does it when something goes wrong. It reset once when my fuse went out for my heated grips and it went the same night as when my low beam bulb went out. Or if it is just a coincedence due to another problem.
Different motorcycle, but on my ST1300, this is the first sign that the battery is on its way out. The reset occurs during cranking when the voltage drops low enough to cause the display to reset, even though the bike still starts OK.

Archived