IGNORED

To Apple or not to Apple ?

Lineareagle

Need a new desk top and a new laptop.

I like the idea of Apple but the price is a killer.

The major desire is to be able to process photos and videos as well as run my CAD programs faster.

My son in law loves Apple, he is an IT guy and claims no issues with the 20 machines he oversees, but man the price!

Any thoughts?

Just in case, I'm not a computer nerd, even if I was one when the big thing was COBOL. At work I use a PC, at home a Apple, which I have now for about 6 years. Before my Apple, my home PC was killed by all the foreign garbage that got into it. To me that is the main advantage of Apple, they don't catch that much junk. What I do, I could do it on either PC or Apple.

Yeah, I have some thoughts: will the Apple REALLY run your CAD programs faster? So much faster that you say "Ahhhhh?" What PC won't process photos? There's a kajillion photo-editing software programs out there. Again, the question would be, are you going to say "Ahhhhh?" at the improved speed of the Apple?

As of last April (I just did a quick googie) 92% of new computers sold in the U. S. were PCs.

@ Paul, yep that is also the input from the son-in-law, no virus.

@Mark, believe me anything will be having me say ahhh compared to the old system I am running now, An i5 or i7 in anything should be a huge improvement. I can only open one iteration of a drawing now or the system freezes.

I guess my real question is, is it worth the extra 1200.00 to get an Apple over the same or slightly more complete Lenovo?

I went to a 15 Mac Book Pro last year. At first it drove me crazy. I use it for work and it took me a while to learn all the new commands for the software I was using. Now I am very happy with it. Mine was very expensive after the memory and speed up grades.

I would do it again.

BTW...I got a new home PC at the same time, it is dead again and we hardly use it. I may not fix or replace it.

Mrs Whip is all IPad all the time now.

I have an Imac and a MacBook for personal use and run a PC at work. My work computer is new and our IT department set it up on XP and it runs fine.

I think the Mac is a great personal computer and I bought it originally to edit HD movies. MY old PC could not handle downloading the large HD files.

I do not think you can go wrong with either choice. It boils down to personal preference and what you want to do with it. I have no experience with CAD on a MAC.

As far as price goes. A new 21.5"base Imac sells for 1199 and it is a very nice unit.

I do not think you can go wrong with either choice. It boils down to personal preference and what you want to do with it. I have no experience with CAD on a MAC.

As far as price goes. A new 21.5"base Imac sells for 1199 and it is a very nice unit.

Yeah, this is exactly how I see things as well. Which platform will serve your purposes most efficiently? Even though the average PC is cheaper, $1200 for a computer you will rely on everyday isn't exactly going to break the bank, is it? Apple products have come down quite a ways in pricing that I no longer see it as the issue.

Let me say this about viruses: ever since I have been using Vista back in '07 and then Windows 7, I have not bothered with any anti-Virus software. That is correct, I have not run any anti-virus software since '07, and I refuse to do so as I often find those products more annoying than the actual virus could ever be! To my knowledge, I have no reason to beleive my computer(s) have been effected by any virus at all, so either the virus software is very good (and who says anti-virus software would stop it anyhow?), or the threat is magnified by those who can earn billions by pumping the world full of exaggerated and non-existent fears.

I learned more about computers in the last week than I cared to. Santa provided a nifty RC Flight Simulation software (RealFlight G5.5) that no computer I own will run, except for my wife's 1 yr old MacBook, and she will not let me touch it as it needs to run on Windows through Boot Camp if on a Mac. Can't blame her.

Like most, we have been using PCs at work and at home forever, and suffered through the obligatory break downs and frustrations. My wife's MacBook, and the MacBook we bought 4 years ago for our college girl have run flawlessly. Not one hiccup. Boots immediately.

In pricing and configuring a computer that will work for my intended hobby/timewaster, I've come to the conclusion that Apple's products still reign supreme from a capability, reliability, service support, design, and yes, value for what you get.

There are some very capable PCs out there, but for the average user, they have a long way to go to catch the Mac.

You state that price is the major issue, but where is the value in a computer that won't do what you want it to because it is gacked up with viruses and other malware?

I am reminded of my visit to the Best Buy Geek Squad counter earlier this year. I was exchanging a Dell monitor that died two weeks after purchase. In front of me was a woman with a PC laptop. Waiting in line, she told me how much she saved by choosing PC over Mac. Then when she got to the counter, I overheard her being told that it would cost her $299 to clean her computer of malware so it would work again. But wait! That's not all! Then they sold her an ongoing "protection package" for another $299! I couldn't resist telling her that the last virus I had on any of my Macs was in 1991.

As of last April (I just did a quick googie) 92% of new computers sold in the U. S. were PCs.

So? Ferrari represents only a fractional percentage of the car market, but I'd still rather be driving a Ferrari.

Then they sold her an ongoing "protection package" for another $299!

Bingo. I've learned that upselling is very prevalent these days when calling PC tech desks for regularly covered warranty/support. Not to mention the time involved, and linguistics skill you would need. Just not worth it.

Let me say this about viruses: ever since I have been using Vista back in '07 and then Windows 7, I have not bothered with any anti-Virus software. That is correct, I have not run any anti-virus software since '07, and I refuse to do so as I often find those products more annoying than the actual virus could ever be!
Yep, I have 4 Windows laptops (2 XP, 2 Win7) in the house all permanently connected to the net, I do run anti-virus software (ZoneAlarm) but I hardly ever see any activity from them, couple of temporary internet files have been quarantined. Almost all malware and viruses are 'caught' by clicking on some link you really shouldn't be clicking on - unknown links in email or at dodgy web sites. There is no intrinsic reason why people could not infect Apples like this too, there just aren't enough of the out there to be interesting.

p.s. Death To Fruity.

John Ranalletta

Buy the Mac. Treat yourself.

Your dilemma reminds me of walking through the car show this week. Every car in the place would get me from point A to B, but only a few would I look forward to owning/driving. PCs are so cheap, if you don't like the Apple, buy a PC.

In my shop, we're all Mac. Before we changed, we had a tech on call to keep the PC's running properly. The systems were reinstalled at least once a year. That was some time ago now and Windows has come a long way.

I still wouldn't leave the OS X platform to return to Windows. Hardware can still go wrong on Mac and PC. The real saving is in the stability of the OS. Unix based OS's are king.

Used, but recent Mac tower offerings are always available on Ebay or refurbished from Apple. I'd take a look at those as you don't have to buy new.

My first series Mac Pro towers with plenty of ram, still do a hard days work.

For video, I'd probably look at the latest towers from Apple. The restriction of Powerbooks is the drive speed unless you upgrade to SSD. I run WD Raptor drives. Very fast.

Linz :)

russell_bynum

Yeah, this is exactly how I see things as well. Which platform will serve your purposes most efficiently? Even though the average PC is cheaper, $1200 for a computer you will rely on everyday isn't exactly going to break the bank, is it? Apple products have come down quite a ways in pricing that I no longer see it as the issue.

Let me say this about viruses: ever since I have been using Vista back in '07 and then Windows 7, I have not bothered with any anti-Virus software. That is correct, I have not run any anti-virus software since '07, and I refuse to do so as I often find those products more annoying than the actual virus could ever be! To my knowledge, I have no reason to beleive my computer(s) have been effected by any virus at all, so either the virus software is very good (and who says anti-virus software would stop it anyhow?), or the threat is magnified by those who can earn billions by pumping the world full of exaggerated and non-existent fears.

Yup to all of that. There's really no compelling reason for the vast majority of people to choose one vs the other at this point. (That hasn't always been the case. There was a time when I would recommend the Mac, and a time where I'd say that only a colossal idiot would buy a Mac. These days, OS X is quite good and I've had nothing but good experience with Win7. The Mac is still more expensive for what you get, but over the life of the computer (especially if you keep a computer for a long time like I tend to) it doesn't really amount to much. Don't buy into all the "Macs never have problems" bullsh*t. My team at work supports about 800 PC's and a handful of Macs. Macs have problems too, I can assure you.

One area where I do think the Mac has the edge...the Mac laptops (MacBook Pro, etc) are really nice units and IMO nobody on the PC side can touch them. I'm not saying that if you buy a PC laptop you'll have lots of trouble...I've had nothing but laptops for almost 10 years now and all of my HP laptops have been quite solid. But some of the little details in the MacBooks are really nice.

Lets_Play_Two
Once one owns a Mac, he will never return to the netherworld of the PC. Go to an Apple Store and try them out. You will get the best customer service in the computer world inside that store.

Here's the list of Apple Stores in Canada:

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/storelist/

Not necessarily so!!! I have a macbook pro that has had the hard drive replaced twice and had to have the operating system reinstalled once. I never did like the UI and there isn't anything it will do that a pc won't do more cheaply. Why are there more problems with pcs? - probably because they outsell mac 100 to 1

:)

Upselling? ever listen to one of the cute apple kids telling a 70 year old why he just has to have a 27" display to plug his brand new laptop into? :)

So? Ferrari represents only a fractional percentage of the car market, but I'd still rather be driving a Ferrari.

To me, this quote captures it. I have used Macs since the first one came out in 1984. I spent two years in one job that required me to use a windows box. If money is tight and all you can afford is some windows box, then do what you have to do. But if you can afford it, Macs are well worth the price.

I eat apples. I had a fuji from New Zealand with some sharp cheddar cheese this morning for breakfast and my operating system is working fine. :grin:

I am not a fan of Apple or PC. Whatever works is fine.

Apple computers aren't significantly more expensive than their PC counterparts, feature for feature. The price problems arise because apple offer very limited price points compared to their PC competition, and they are all designed around forcing you to step up to the next pricepoint to get that one feature you need that isn't offered in the next one down. For me, their laptops meet my laptop needs perfectly, but their desktop computers drive me nuts. I already own nice monitors, so the imacs are out - especially since monitors last far longer until obsolescence than computers do. The mac mini isn't expandable enough (slow laptop drive only and not enough RAM capability, no PCI card expansion), and the macpros are total overkill - sure I may grow into the features of a mac pro, but I want to start cheaper and add the functionality as I need it, not buy 2x the computer I need just because I may need more down the road. The net result is that I simply don't own a desktop. I make do with a laptop until I actually have a need for the full capabilities of the macpro I would need to buy.

If you don't mind geeking out a little bit, you can build yourself a VERY capable hackintosh that runs OS X flawlessly. That will eventually be my solution. And a self-built computer is always WAY cheaper than any retail computer with similar features, regardless of brand. Just google up 'hackintosh' and you'll find sites which can recommend hardware that is maximally compatible with OS X.

I got a Mac long ago, then switched to PCs for many years because I wanted to have a system that was compatible with my work files. That's no longer a concern, as our security measures make it all but impossible to "check out" work, so I switched back to a MacBook a couple of years ago.

My personal experience, as a casual user who uses it for email, web surfing, and other fairly basic functions (word processing, tax prep, etc.), I have found the Mac to be far superior to the PCs I've worked with (I do have a little HP netbook that I uses occasionally). In my experience, it's been a seamless experience, whereas my PCs have proven to be a constant pain in the neck.

I've used both over the course of my career. I use pc lately.

I think the Apple thing is all a lie.

Macs are just as vulnerable to viruses, but not targeted as much. Something like ten percent of all infections are on mac IIRC, and computer security experts recommend running anti-malware software on macs.

Today I run Microsoft Security Essentials and I really don't even know it is there. It is free for Win XP, Vista and W7.

Honestly, I really don't think a mac can justify the premium cost. Don't forget to budget for software too. This has been the deal breaker for me in the past.

markgoodrich
You state that price is the major issue, but where is the value in a computer that won't do what you want it to because it is gacked up with viruses and other malware?

I am reminded of my visit to the Best Buy Geek Squad counter earlier this year. I was exchanging a Dell monitor that died two weeks after purchase. In front of me was a woman with a PC laptop. Waiting in line, she told me how much she saved by choosing PC over Mac. Then when she got to the counter, I overheard her being told that it would cost her $299 to clean her computer of malware so it would work again. But wait! That's not all! Then they sold her an ongoing "protection package" for another $299! I couldn't resist telling her that the last virus I had on any of my Macs was in 1991.

The point I was trying to make is that almost all computer users in the U. S. (sales figures are similar worldwide) make do with PCs, not that PCs are the best. Your Ferrari analogy, however, does fit with my personal opinion of Apple's business model: extremely high initial cost, extremely high maintenance and repair costs, closed "parts" system, ridiculous overkill for the uses the things are put to in the real world...I hadn't really planned to expose my personal opinion about Apple (Death to Fruity), since the OP really just wanted a simple answer, which I tried to give with my "Ahhhh" statement.

Thanks all, and you are right I want a fairly simple concensus on the experience of others.

Price is always a concern, I am retired after all with only the odd contract coming my way, or my own persuits.

From my days with Cobol and Fortran with stacks of cards to my first computer, a Kaypro, I have gone through lots of different machines. The most expensive - a luggable HP that set me back $8500.00. Since then I have generally built or have had built my own machines so going back to a 'closed' system machine will be a major step for me.

One of the major draws for me is the photo program which gets rave reviews for its logic and ease of use. I have CS4 now and am getting tired of all the manipulation sequences I have to go through.

Downside is my CAD programs, AutoCad, Solid Works and Solid Edge which I already own and to replace them is out of the question.

I am leaning towards a MacBook and staying with a PC based desk top.

Hmmmm.

i have never owned a mac. my work uses a windows environment, so I have stayed that way at home. I can say, in the PC world microsoft has problems. the issue is they build (in my opinion) great operating systems but market "consumer" operating systems to the retail user. In 2000 I went to NT 4.0 what a great operating system. I left my computer on 24/7 always connected to the internet and I think I re-built it once in 3 years. And yes unless power went out at the house I never re-booted in three years. Then I went to XP pro 32 bit. Once again great, even slightly better than NT 4.0. Same thing 3 or 4 years of use, almost no re-boots, always on and connected. Now I am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. And as noted above Windows essential. Great combination. That does not mean I would not buy a mac, I would. It is just that for my purchases so far, a comparable mac and PC is usually 20% cheaper. And there for a while Garmin on the mac was difficult. Those two items probably kept me off the mac for at least the first of 20XX decade. I think by late 2006 the garmin issue was resolved. Also one other item I do a lot with databases, one item being MS Access. I never learned MYSql, and now that Microsoft has SQL Server express and Visual studio express available for free, those have fit my needs. I do agree if buying strictly as a consumer, with no desire to set up a computer, probably MAC's work out of the box easier and maybe even better. But if you take the time to do the first install of the operating system correctly, and you use the correct operating system, PC's run great and malware, or spyware or viruses are 99% related to clinking on inappropriate links, not the software.

I am the IT manager at my office, and I can say, 20% of the users make up 80% of my problems. and those 20% of users are constantly clicking on links. I am a small shop around 60 PC's and for 80% of my users, the laptops (I also like HP) have been running for over 2 years, and the only "fix" I have made is to install Windows 7 64 bit (from XP pro) and upgrade the memory to 4 gigs. The 4 gigs of memory cost me 75.00

so bottom line, if MAC is now closer in cost than I last researched, I see no reason not to go that route. But about 4 years ago when I last researched for my wife, it was around 20% minimum and in many cases closer to 25% cost difference. i.e. a 1,000.00 PC was close to 1,250.00 in MAC. I was looking at a 1,600.00 Pc and a comparable MAC was right at 1,999.99.

A pc desktop with an i7 will make those fly. Adobe does a great job of taking advantage of multiple cores. I run Lightroom and CS5 on an i7 and it's great. W7 is much improved.

All the engineers at work run autocad on these newer pc's. I think, based on what you have said that a newer pc would make you very happy.

Jerry Johnston

I would think a desktop would be better for Autocad because you can easily add higher class video cards. At least years back when I sold to engineering firms they always needed the best in video cards. Of course this means that the price of a PC is going to be at least as much as a laptop. You could easily spend 4 or $500 on a video card alone and most new PCs are sold with a bare minimum power supply and a lot of video use and filling the USB ports with printers and plotters would require a minimum of a 600 watt pwr-sup meaning another $100 for a reliable one. I guess I'm trying to say the PC won't be cheaper by the time the two brands are comparable.

I have owned both, the PC cost me a lot more than the mac I had and passed on to a loved one. I have to keep paying someone to keep my computer running. Just installed 156 updates still don't know if Windows 7 is gonna do what I need.

Use my Ipad as much as possible and only pick up the PC if I am forced now. Would love to have a MacAir. Way cool! And sooooo worth the money.

Back in 1984 as a youngster, I bought a mac 512 for about 3K.

It was the computer and the screen all in one unit. I carried it around in my back pack and used MacPaint and Macdraw For a little business I started. I would take the unit to peoples houses, and redisign their closets for them on the mac and then with my inadequate carpentry skills, redo their closet spaces.

To get an idea about a 3000 dollar computer in 1984_

the 512K contained an 8 MHz Motorola 68000 connected to a 512 KB DRAM by a 16-bit data bus. Though the memory had been quadrupled, it could not be upgraded. A 64 KB ROM chip boosts the effective memory to 576 KB, but this is offset by the display's 22 KB framebuffer, which is shared with the DMA video controller. It shared a revised logicboard with the re-badged Macintosh 128K (previously just called the Macintosh), which streamlined manufacturing.

You are a techie, so this should not be a hard experiment.

Get the laptop you want from Best Buy or someplace that offers a 30-day return policy. Install Ubuntu. Layer VirtualBox on top. Add whatever OS you want into VirtualBox.

Unless your application specifically looks for virtualization, everything will run fine.

If you don't like it, just format everything and return it.

Its been reported on various media outlets that Apple is facing the same economic crunch as everyone else. As a result, Apple is cutting expenses by going to outside providers for many of their previously in-house made major hardware components such as motherboards, video and sound cards.

With that in mind, I wonder if in the very near future an Apple buyer is in reality getting a PC-ish clone in Apple clothing??

Just some food for thought. Yummy!

Windows Vista was the OS that convinced me it was time to buy a Macbook.

I got my first home pc in 83 and built them for years when prices were high. Have basically learned to hate wasting my time and money correcting the flaws that are inherent or accumulate in Windows machines, some of which aren't Windows but instead the junk software loaded on most new pc's. I still use both types but after a few years with a Macbook, I find myself using it more and pc's less. To me the only advantages of a Microsoft OS are simpler file management options, software that is to me more intuitive after many years of pc use, the amount and types of various free software for all interests. The Macbook has an exemplary keyboard and screen, better online upgrade system, superior build quality (in the same league of the best of the IBM portables) and its disc burning functions are more intuitive (Can't begin to tell you how many older folks have never figured out how to burn discs in the Microsoft OSs- I got to teach plenty of them when I did magazine stuff that required certain items on disc).

If you don't want to waste time and $ fixing crashed or garbaged machines, anything mac is a better choice as your chance of having a problem with it is slim and you will get better help from a mac store than elsewhere, should you need it.

If you want a pc, make sure it has at least 4X the minimum RAM Microsoft suggests if you want it to run well for the long haul. And the fastest HD you can afford- you'll appreciate that when you have to fix the thing. If you are even modestly technically savvy, consider starting with a machine with ONLY an OS installed and nothing else- you can then add only the stuff you want/need and it will run better for it.

In the past 3 months I have redone 2 Windows Vista portables for friends. Their problems were exacerbated by the designed upgrade method for Vista, the fact that both machines had Norton Utilities, minor spyware or virus problems, and garbaged registries (yes they are both in the 20% of users who use stuff in a way that will help ensure Windows OS crashes). The fixes are straightforward but time consuming - remove all unnecessary crap including Norton, update OS, all hardware-related software, JAVA, Flash, Adobe Reader, etc, add Microsoft Security Essentials, add a registry cleaner program, add whatever other software owner might need, organize desktop and taskbars, customize screen (and Sidebar if used) to owners taste, set automatics for necessary maintenance tasks, bring RAM up to something reasonable instead of the 512K installed, defrag everything and give it back to owner. 10 hours or more of processor and web download time plus a few hours of my time for each.

I do not intend to own anything with Windows 7 having seen nothing but increasing problems with Microsoft OS's ever since NT 4 and Windows 2000 Pro. Keep hearing 7 is the miracle that finally has some sense and stability but I'll wait to see at least their next generation of 64 bit stuff before I even think of anything with a newer Microsoft OS (you may remember there were initially favorable comments by some on Vista which is easily the worst OS - in its time context- ever sold by anyone.) I bought a netbook to carry on the bike and had a choice of 7, a basic Linux, or XP and picked XP only because its a devil I understand already and I sure don't want to deal with a new Microsoft OS problems on slow hardware.

I also don't buy Microsoft software anymore. For example, switched all my normal office type stuff to Open Office a few years ago - its FREE and does all normal stuff just fine. No more expensive Microsoft Office upgrades for some minimal changes in function. Yes, you can use Open Office on a mac, also - I do.

I didn't start out despising Microsoft's products, monopolistic practices and greed but have grown to based on poor real world performance since about 2000. Anything that helps their competitors or keeps $ out of their pockets is good thing to me, now. More competitive balance would improve computing experiences for all users in the long term.

But I am no fan of the IPhone - its crippled and closed systems aren't endearing to me and I own my first (and last) one (a 3GS about 18 mths old). The AT&T network it runs on is also a problem- crappy coverage outside towns and cities.

Thanks again everyone.

Interesting addition to my original question.

I stopped in at a computer supplier today; it is a place that wholesales parts and I have bought quite a bit of kit from them over the years.

Asked my man about pricing on some parts, i7 processor, MOB, drives, cards etc. Thinking I may go ahead and build a desktop if the price is right.

While I am there he is starting to look up prices on his machine when, "#$%@&%! sorry, this is the second time today this has locked up on me." It will be a bit for me to get it re-booted.

That's OK say I I'll get back to you.

Maybe.

Friendly warning from the electron god?

Forgot to comment on your videos questions.

That's a little more complex because it depends on how much video you want to do and how many features you want. For the average home user, I'd suggest the Apple software is a lot easier. For those with more techy inclinations, the latest version of Pinnacle on a pc - plus whatever add-on programs you might want- would offer more flexibility in editing and structuring your final video.

Re speed- none are worth crap. Expect long run times and be prepared to let it run at night to get stuff done if there is any complexity or length to your processing requirement. Bottom line is that video processing on a pc today is about like iterative spreadsheet stuff in 1983 - it sucks. We're still way short of the hardware capabilities needed to make it fast for DVD or Blue-ray quality stuff - only the ultra compressed junk for the web gets done with any real speed. Its probably also a safe bet that increasing complex video formats will continue to increase processor demands faster than the hardware improves - as has been the case for all of past history.

Its been reported on various media outlets that Apple is facing the same economic crunch as everyone else. As a result, Apple is cutting expenses by going to outside providers for many of their previously in-house made major hardware components such as motherboards, video and sound cards.

With that in mind, I wonder if in the very near future an Apple buyer is in reality getting a PC-ish clone in Apple clothing??

Just some food for thought. Yummy!

Like every other manufacturer I can think of, Apple computers (and iPods, iPhones, iPads) have been built in China for a long, long time -- this has nothing to do with the economic crunch. My PowerPC desktop iMac (at least five years old) was made in China, probably at the Foxconn factory. I cannot say that Apple hardware is any better than anybody else's, only that I have never had a hardware failure on any of the Macs that I have owned since May, 1984. Over the life of a machine, several studies have shown that cost of ownership with a Mac is lower than for a comparable Windows product.

Over the life of a machine, several studies have shown that cost of ownership with a Mac is lower than for a comparable Windows product.

Exactly.

I own Apple for this reason and because I don't enjoy working on them. Been with Apple since 1990, and got away from them once in 2004, PC, hated it. Recently I've owned (1) laptop, 4 years old and (1) desktop two years old. Zero issues with both.

Seamless operation with my Ipod and Dig camera.

No junk comes my way, never an issue with a sick computer.

Make your own choice. Save money if you think you might. But I'll bet ya won't. :grin:

MB>

I promise I'll leave this thread in peace after this post.

I'm sitting at a MacBook that's somewhere around two or three years old. It's one of the "cheap" white ones, not a Pro. The thing's been pretty much flawless from Day 1. The only issue of any significance that I can recall occurred when Apple released its Snow Leopard operating system. For reasons that eluded pretty much everyone, the print drivers for HP printers were totally messed up, particularly for those printers that were of a little older design. It took Apple and HP a couple of weeks to clear this up, and it was extremely frustrating while they did.

However, that's pretty much it. No other hiccups, no frozen screens, nothing near the level of frustration I've had with my PCs. I know one person's anecdotes don't necessarily count for much, but it's been a near-flawless experience for me.

One other thing worth mentioning is that a Luddite like me can pretty easily configure Apple peripherals to do things that seem like magic. I've got an Apple Time Capsule, which consists of a wireless router with a built-in .5 TB drive. The MacBook backs up to it wirelessly, the only hint that it's happening being a little whirling icon at the top of my screen. I've also got three Apple AirPort Extreme wireless devices, to which I've hooked up a variety of stereo speakers and one printer. So, I can play my iTunes library throughout the house, with the added bonus that I can control the whole shebang from my iPhone 4.

I know that real computeristas scoff at my wonderment, but to a simpleton like me, this is pretty phenomenal stuff. Unlike my PCs, which I always seem to be fighting, this little chunk of white plastic actually makes me feel as though it makes my life better. I guess that's why, at least for now, I vote "Apple."

I just went through this myself. If I was planning to go with a personal laptop that was only going to be used by me, I would go with a Mac all the way. They are slick, well thought out, pretty easy to learn, and very very nice pieces of equipment. The problem is, I needed to replace my home PC that is used by me, my wife, and my step daughter. While I find a Mac to be very intuitive and pretty easy to learn, they are only as intuitive as the people using them. Around my house, if I swapped the hinges and handles of the doors.....I don't think either of the lovely women in my life would be able to figure out how to get into the house. I have enough trouble playing the family IT guru as it is, I'm not sure I have time to field all of the calls and text messages of them trying to learn a new OS.

That being said, I still heavily considered a Mac desktop. My current computer is about a 6yr old PC that I has served me well. In those 6 years, the only thing I had to do it was add some RAM and then replace the power supply last year. I have built all but one one of the PC's I've owned in the past ~18 yrs, and have never had any real issues with any of them. The only exception was the one I didn't build. It was a Dell, and complete piece of propriatary junk. I will never buy another premade computer. That is also where I had my hangup with buying a Mac desktop. The one thing I always liked about my frankenstein PC's was that I could add and change the configuration of the hardware on a whim in a matter of minutes with no outside help. I know Ram can be readily accessed on a Mac, but what happens with a Mac if you want to add/replace a hard drive or maybe a Bluray burner next year? Can this be done yourself or will you be forced to pay someone to do it? I don't know the answer to this, but my few quick internet searches came up with very little to almost no information. What I did find was how to do it on some older iMacs, and non of it looked very user friendly once you took the case screws out.

After comparing everything, I decided to scavange what I could from my existing PC (the case and power supply), and build myself something new. I ordered one of the new Intel i3 550 processors, matching motherboard, aftermarket cooling fan, 8G of Ram, SATA DVD burner (old one was IDE), a copy of Windows 7 Premium Home edition, and a 500G Western Digital HD to get things rolling. Total cost was $515 shipped, and it will all be delivered by the time I get home today. That will get hooked up to dual 22" LCD monitors. A comparable iMac setup would have cost over $2000. If it was a few hundred bucks, then maybe I could have taken the plunge.......but there are WAY too many other things I want to spend that extra $1500 on.

Like I said, if I was getting a personal laptop, Mac all the way. I think they are competative enough with features/price to warrant some serious consideration. A home computer though.........not so much, I don't think I could do it.

Archived