IGNORED

Steering head RAM ball

Delaware Dave

Delaware Dave

The subject line says it all. Where can I find a ram ball whose base mounts in place of the steering head? I've seen pictures but so far I haven't found the vendor. I'd like to mount a GPS on my 1999 R1100RT.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

here are some ball mounts, many of ushave visited this problem and from my perspective the ball is not the best solution. It mounts the GPS too low and in front ov valuable real estate.

This (http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1100-1150-RT/Navigation-and-Communication/GPS-Mounts.html)is a solution that one of my friends use and it looks very tidy,

Andy

Hello Dave,

I have the mount that you are looking for sitting on the shelf in my garage. It came off my 01 RT. It is the same as the one in your pic, but isn't as shiny. I have no idea what I paid for it. Does $25.00 shipped sound fair. If not let me know.

Marty

The one in this picture is/was made by a Canadian who participates on this forum under the username jakfrost. I think I paid around C$65 for mine. It friction fits into the hole. I had to really pound mine with a hammer to seat it. Works great and is nicely machined.

Why not use the RAM mount, 11mm hole-base and Ball with the Handlebar bolt? Looks like $22 plus shipping from Cycle Gadgets. I use it on my 1100RT, it's pretty much the same mounting point as the center mount, and it fits - doesn't require pounding.

Handlebar bolt base for cast BMW bars

R-A-M compatible* Hardware kit for mounting RAM-11M base to fork bridge area on BMWs with cast handlebars. Requires RAM-11M base.

...I was think more along these lines:

I am not keen on it obstructing all the vital information.

And am not sure how well you could see the GPS with a tank bag fitted??

Andy

Here's a photo of the RAM Mount using the handlebar bolt attachment:

That's what I've got on my 02RT. Works great! Stock bolt, I check the tension/torque every now and then.

Archived