IGNORED

Three More Months of This

kinchy

I envy you riders living in mild climates. 24 inches two days ago and probably more to come. Salt all over the cars and as the subject suggests it ain't over. Hopefully once the white stuff melts a few decent days will come permiting we eskimos to warm up the tires and hope for better times.

John Ranalletta

We hightailed it west from NJ on Sunday morning and left our kids behind to enjoy this:

Linden, NJ

IMG_1060.JPG

Not so much in Yorktown Heights, NY

IMG_0211.jpg

I feel your pain, I do.

I spent 10 years in Chicago before I came to my senses and moved south.

Not to make things worse for you but it was 75 degrees in Austin today.

I will put up with 3 months of 100 degrees weather here in Texas than having short an unpredictable summers like we had in Chicago.

I could not stand watching my boat being covered up for 6-8 months, unable to use it, yet I had to still make monthly payments on it ...yayks :(

But look on the bright side, you don't need to drive 10 hours if you want to go skiing, I do.

Location, location, location.

The reason H. Sapiens lost hair is because they learned how walk upright and head south. Some got confused with the thrill of winter sports and moved back north...What were they thinking?

Florida beckons.

We hightailed it west from NJ on Sunday morning and left our kids behind to enjoy this:

Linden, NJ

IMG_1060.JPG

Not so much in Yorktown Heights, NY

IMG_0211.jpg

Holy Sh*# is that child abuse or what. Or did you have "Uncle Buck" babysitting?????

I am taking advantage of the white wonderland with a fire in the wood stove in my shop and doing all the maint. thangys to the bike whilst there is no pressure to ride. Look out spring time, hope I did everythang right :P

I hate Winter. I hate it. I hate it.

By my calculations, 10% of "official" Winter has passed. Unfortunately, this far into the Rockies, Winter lasts about five months. The trade-off being perfect Summer weather.

It's currently snowing, and we are supposed to see -3 tonight.

Did I mention that I hate Winter?

Bob

I love winter. I love it. I love it. (Yin-Yang and all that)

P1160065.jpg

Don't get me wrong , I love summer too. Or maybe I should say that I love riding, so I ride on whats available. No sense in wasting energy hating things. Its all about the old saying; 'If life gives you lemons,.....

It was absolutely clear and sunny today in sunny southern california, although a frigid mid 50s F. I put 200 mile on the clock on tuesday and it was beautiful out here.

I love a nice snowboarding weekend....but just a weekend.

That is the beauty of So Cal. What little rain we do get usually comes in lumps and is over. The snow and mountains are only 2 hours or so away. The mountains and beach areas are gorgeous riding in the summer warmth, the deserts and inland valleys are warm and beautiful in the winter....year round fun.

Played golf in 74f, but didn't ride the bike, the streets were wet and the Multi is a biach to wash. One more day of this, then back to COLD, 40s.

+1 I've lived in Michigan all my life, and have always hated winter. I'll never get my wife to move since all of our kids and grandkids live here.

In response to:

Poster: Burt

Subject: Re: Three More Months of This

Originally Posted By: Bob_Sheehan

+1 I've lived in Michigan all my life, and have always hated winter. I'll never get my wife to move since all of our kids and grandkids live here.

+2 We get at least 6 months of winter here!!

You have my admiration. I don't know how you guys and gals do it.

We can ride all year round, although at the moment where I am, the humidity is very high and it's really uncomfortable in ATGATT. On bad days, I take a 3 litre Kriega fluid system ( a very fancy camelbak).

I couldn't just look at my bikes for 3-4 months, I'd go nuts.

I like the Ski-Doo. If I had the money, I'd have one of those in the USA.

Happy New Year to you all.

Linz :)

In response to:

Poster: kmac

yeah we get a really rough 6 "days" of winter here...normally.

we are on our 7th day already, really bad winter.

We just got back from spending 2 weeks in Arizona. We had 4 days of rain when we got there and it was pouring rain when we left Phoenix on Wednesday. WTF is going on with the weather!!

In response to:

Poster: kmac

yeah we get a really rough 6 "days" of winter here...normally.

we are on our 7th day already, really bad winter.

We just got back from spending 2 weeks in Arizona. We had 4 days of rain when we got there and it was pouring rain when we left Phoenix on Wednesday. WTF is going on with the weather!!

According to the "Chief Government Scientist" all this (and the blizzard conditions in AZ) is caused by "global warming". Just ask Al Gore... :rofl:

It is so hot here in south Louisiana that I have been riding around with the heated gear 3/4 full blast and the grip heaters on high. :eek:

I envy you riders living in mild climates. 24 inches two days ago and probably more to come. Salt all over the cars and as the subject suggests it ain't over. Hopefully once the white stuff melts a few decent days will come permiting we eskimos to warm up the tires and hope for better times.

I got lucky in 'Western' NJ with less than half that amount, but yes, winter is not my cup-o-tea either (yes the damn rock-salt EVERYWHERE!) My winter sport is complaining about winter :P

P1160065.jpg

How'd ya get the picture no foot prints or tracks that I can see? :S That's a good looking machine, do you like the four stroke engine? :thumbsup:

Oh yes, winter is starting to S... :grin: & I love snowmobiling! :dopeslap:

Pat

Our few days of winter happened this week. Lows in the 20s, highs in the 30s & 40s with a dusting of snow in the valley and more snow in the local mountains. Not too bad. Gives me time to dy my services on the RT prior to DVD.

I'm riding year round but a low of 35F this morning made me glad I have the day off.

Much rain in NorCal during December. The Lt. prefers I'm in a car when the streets are wet.

That's a good looking machine, do you like the four stroke engine? Oh yes, winter is starting to S... :grin: & I love snowmobiling! Pat

Thanks, that photo is of my 1200. BRP now offers the 1200 4-tec and the ACE 600 (both 4 strokers). They are both great, choice depends on what you desire from a sled (on or off trail).

I would not even own a snowmobile if it were not for 4 strokes.

As for the no foot print photo - I could tell you, but..... :)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

This picture was taken this morning from the top of Mt. Tamalpias:

1142687730_VQz2Y-M.jpg

Got a nice little ride in this morning before the clouds blew over.

I like the winters here, it's mostly dry so even when it's cold you can go out and ride. When we get snow it sticks around for a few days then it's dry again. Today it's 15F at 2pm, perhaps a little cool for a ride but the sun is shining and there are only a few light patches of snow on the roads from yesterday's snowfall, bet there are none once you get down to park level. I'll certainly take a winter her over a summer anywhere east of the Rockies, once the humidity gets above 25% it's time to stay inside!

Anyway, what's wrong with riding in the snow?

img_0990.jpg

Never hurt anybody!

img_009.jpg

Bob must have been by himself or THEY would have been the one in the picture. Nice face plant!
The second picture was actually just build up from riding in a snow storm up on 12, on the KLR without any windshield!

I'm with you. I LOVE the changing of seasons. Winter means skiing, peaceful hiking with no bugs and huge views, miles of beach all to oneself, and nights by the fire. Food, activities, clothing, ride choices, etc. all change with each season. I feel like we get to live 4 different lifestyles each year depending on the season.

So far, we haven't had enough snow for snowshoeing. That is a disappointment. By mid Feb I am ready for Spring, but some years that can take until May to arrive. Therefore, I have resolved to hang out here for a couple weeks in Feb.

1147067227_HBNoL-S.jpg

I enjoy the 4 seasons here in MN also, just wish the cold ones weren't quite so long, or so cold...-5f this morning.

Al

I'm with you. I LOVE the changing of seasons. Winter means skiing, peaceful hiking with no bugs and huge views, miles of beach all to oneself, and nights by the fire. Food, activities, clothing, ride choices, etc. all change with each season. I feel like we get to live 4 different lifestyles each year depending on the season.

comstockrider

Having grown up in NW Iowa, worst weather I've ever experianced. But, great people. 25 years in E. Texas = cold Winters and un-Godly hot Summers. But, again, great people. Now 15 years in Nevahhdahhh. :clap: Great place. Awsome scenery. Good weather, most of the time. Very dry, most of the time. Yah, it snows. But, I have 3-4 months I get to tear down my bike and see if I can put her back together again. What fun! ! ! I made the mistake of buying a place in the mountains. So from about November to March my bike is snow bound. But when the weather is dry, the commute is awsome. . . . twistiessss :thumbsup: Winter time is good for the sole, too. Time to plan the next riding season's trips . . . . Oh, did I mention I get to tear down the bike and see if I can put her back together again . . . :dopeslap: And there's always snowmobiling, snowshoeing, Winter camping, and skiing. Much to do, not enough time

I dunno, for the first time ever my GS and my dual sport will see a battery tender...

I'm not looking forward to having a reduced riding season!

Yeah, been there.

We recently had, for us, a bit of cold weather. Interesting that all the riders I saw then were BMW & Japanese tourers.

Once it warmed up, the HD's and sportbikers came back out (in shorts & w/o helmets). What a difference in mindsets. Carries over to type/style of bike, gear, when to ride, et cetera.

img_009.jpg

THIS is why they make full-face helmets!!!

I never had that happen when I lived up yonder. And I rode every day as I owned no car for 5 years before I moved to FL (or for 9 years after moving).

THIS is why they make full-face helmets!!!
I hate full face helmets, don't mind a bit of snow if that's what the price is, just like skiing!

This photo brings to mind a story about a penguin who was having some car troubles.

He was able to just make it to the mechanics when the brakes on his car finally failed.

He left the car with the mechanic and went for a walk to do some shoping. After doing his shopping and on his way back to the mechanics, he came upon an ice cream store and decided to have a bowl of ice cream.

Being a penguin , he couldn't hold the spoon so he had to just stick his beak into the ice cream and lick it up .

While doing this he had ice cream all over his face !!!

When he arrived back at the garage , the mechanic rolled from under the car saying that he had fixed the problem and that the penguin had just blown a seal.

The penguin indignantly said that he hadn't and that it was just ice cream.

Yesterday where I live in Southern Idaho it was 18 degrees in the morning.

I was tired of not riding for the last 2 months so I took my Vstrom and my Gerbings jacket and headed to Fruitland Idaho for Pizza with some friends.

Cold and clear with no ice or slush. All around pretty good day for below freezing temps.

Pheasants and Deer hung out in the ditches on my way home.

I can take the cold but the ice makes me pucker. More snow coming tonight.

I absolutely despise winter.

Here in northern Utah, most of December, all of January and all of February are dark, gloomy months where a thick layer of dirty, cold fog blankets the valleys for weeks on end. Spotting the sun is a rare occasion, and riding my bike through the gray soup leaves me coated with grime.

On those rare days without snow and ice on the roads, a ride up and out of the valley to the mountains east of here is a welcome treat — despite the cold. I can hardly wait until March when the first halfway springlike weather starts to show itself between the snow storms.

There's a great quote in Johnny Connolly's (yes the comedian) ITV series Journey to the Edge of the World - exploring the Northwest Passage, which goes something like "There's no bad weather, just the wrong clothes." On the days when we don't have the "right" clothes we just comfy up by the fireplace and read a good book.

Ya gotta learn to play in/with winter. There's nothing like an outdoor hot tub experience on a winter's night with snow laden trees and the quiet of large flakes falling, a good glass of wine and both you and your sweetie sorting out the world's problems in hushed conversation. Sometimes the "right" clothes in winter even includes bathing suits (or not).

Living in an all out 4 season climate ranging (extremes) 100 to -40 degrees C. we welcome and enjoy the change of seasons. If we don't have the opportunity to ride we can enjoy remembering ones that we had and anticipate ones that we plan to have (insert obligatory ride topic emoticon here).

Archived