IGNORED

BMW to offer Sirius XM on RT and GT

GollyGwiz

Good timing as I was planning on picking up a new RT in Feb!

BMW Motorcycles and Sirius XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) have announced that beginning with January 2011 production, BMW Motorcycles will offer Sirius as standard equipment on new radio-equipped Model Year 2011 BMW R 1200 RT, K 1600 GT, and K 1600 GTL Touring Motorcycles.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...irius-xm-radio

In response to:

Poster: GollyGwiz

Subject: Re: BMW to offer Sirius XM on RT and GT

Good timing as I was planning on picking up a new RT in Feb!

BMW Motorcycles and Sirius XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) have announced that beginning with January 2011 production, BMW Motorcycles will offer Sirius as standard equipment on new radio-equipped Model Year 2011 BMW R 1200 RT, K 1600 GT, and K 1600 GTL Touring Motorcycles.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...irius-xm-radio

If you are picking up a new RT in Feb, chances are the production date was prior to January, 2011.

I wonder if I'll be able to upgrade my early '11 to get Sirius radio. If it's just an antenna and software upgrade that would be fantastic. Of course at this point your passenger won't be able to listen if you are using Bluetooth.

And, what are the suggested ways to listen to the programs. Special helmit with wind-noise reducing function? Cranking up the reception volumn seems detrimental to overall safety and ear drum integrity.

However,I like the idea of listening to NPR on long trips.

If you are picking up a new RT in Feb, chances are the production date was prior to January, 2011.

The RT I have on order has a November production date and according to the spec sheet, has Sirius included with the audio system. Now that said, it will be interesting to see if I would qualify for the 1 year subscription - assuming the bike ever gets here. (I was told that because BMW has this offer on the table, you can't order new RTs at the moment without the radio option.)

Got confirmation today that even those Sirius-equipped RTs that were built prior to Jan.'11 will include the 12-month subscription. It's option #994. Looks like BMW actually put this into place Q4 of '10 and only now is announcing it as RTs with the Sirius option are only now hitting dealerships. I just hope this doesn't add yet another antennae.
In response to:

Poster: TowJam

Subject: Re: BMW to offer Sirius XM on RT and GT

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Got confirmation today that even those Sirius-equipped RTs that were built prior to Jan.'11 will include the 12-month subscription. It's option #994. Looks like BMW actually put this into place Q4 of '10 and only now is announcing it as RTs with the Sirius option are only now hitting dealerships. I just hope this doesn't add yet another antennae.

That good news. We will be watching for some pics and your first ride reviews when you get your GT.

• 8 months later...

So what suggestions are out there on the 2011 RT bikes that came in prior to the Sirius release? Can we upgrade....is it a software upgrade. Anyone know of this? My 2011 RT I ordered and equiped it with pretty much ever option and would have ordered the Sirius if it was available!

So what suggestions are out there on the 2011 RT bikes that came in prior to the Sirius release? Can we upgrade....is it a software upgrade. Anyone know of this? My 2011 RT I ordered and equiped it with pretty much ever option and would have ordered the Sirius if it was available!

I doubt if it's a software upgrade. On most cars, the addition of Sirius requires an additional tuner module and the addition of or connection to a satellite antenna. Really, just a guess on my part, but I'd guess that the base stereo is a different unit.

My understanding is that the non-XM 2011 radios are NOT upgradeable. Earlier this year BMW was offering a $1K discount on those non-XM models already produced - I expect they would not have done that if an affordable upgrade was possible.

Archived