IGNORED

2011 RT Bluetooth Interface to Radio

Troy

The Bluetooth radio on the new R1200RT is driving me nuts.

I've been able to pair it with my Sena SMH10 helmet set and it sounds fantastic. The Sena pairs up with the 2nd set perfectly. The problems start when I try to pair the second Sena to the BMW Radio. The Radio tells me that the 2nd helmet is "Unavailable". So back to the radio instruction manual and it states that you can pair two helmets only if they are BMW helmets with the BMW coms system. Not sure what BMW's thinking was on this, or if there is any way around the problem.

I dropped the bike off at A&S for its 600 mile check-up this morning and mentioned it to the sales person. He checked with several other people and they were all genuinely surprised that the audio system had this limitation. We spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with a solution but still no progress. Along with the 600 mile service A&S is installing the Nav IV system, it interfaces with the audio system. I had hoped that I could use the GPS to play MP3s through the radio - I'll pair up with the radio and passenger to the GPS... No go, the GPS won't send output to the radio while it has a Bluetooth connection. To be fair to A&S, They have not given up. The owner was on the phone working on a solution when I left the store.

the R1200RT is a great bike for two up riding and part of the fun of riding two up is the shared experience. I would love to have a BMW system but they are not available in the good ol' US of A. If they are doing this so they can sell more helmets/com systems... shouldn't they make them available to their larger markets?

This was all so much easier with wires! Never, ever did I have a problem with communications with the StarCom 1 on the other bike.

Anybody out there with some ideas on how Meg and I can listen to the same thing at the same time using Bluetooth?

Just picked up the bike from the dealer's service department. While I was there I was told not to give up hope. They are working on a solution that would use a Bluetooth dongle on the Aux Out port of the radio. Hope it works out, I do like riding w/o the wires to the helmet.

I dropped the bike off at A&S for

You lost me right there! :rofl:

Get yourself down to Cycle Specialties in Modesto. Go talk with Justin. You may just find yourself SHOCKED at how well versed he is on this system!

The Bluetooth radio on the new R1200RT is driving me nuts.

I've been able to pair it with my Sena SMH10 helmet set and it sounds fantastic. The Sena pairs up with the 2nd set perfectly. The problems start when I try to pair the second Sena to the BMW Radio. The Radio tells me that the 2nd helmet is "Unavailable". So back to the radio instruction manual and it states that you can pair two helmets only if they are BMW helmets with the BMW coms system. Not sure what BMW's thinking was on this, or if there is any way around the problem.

I dropped the bike off at A&S for its 600 mile check-up this morning and mentioned it to the sales person. He checked with several other people and they were all genuinely surprised that the audio system had this limitation. We spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with a solution but still no progress. Along with the 600 mile service A&S is installing the Nav IV system, it interfaces with the audio system. I had hoped that I could use the GPS to play MP3s through the radio - I'll pair up with the radio and passenger to the GPS... No go, the GPS won't send output to the radio while it has a Bluetooth connection. To be fair to A&S, They have not given up. The owner was on the phone working on a solution when I left the store.

the R1200RT is a great bike for two up riding and part of the fun of riding two up is the shared experience. I would love to have a BMW system but they are not available in the good ol' US of A. If they are doing this so they can sell more helmets/com systems... shouldn't they make them available to their larger markets?

This was all so much easier with wires! Never, ever did I have a problem with communications with the StarCom 1 on the other bike.

Anybody out there with some ideas on how Meg and I can listen to the same thing at the same time using Bluetooth?

We Sell *tons* of Sena headsets, so I'm in a good position to help you make sense of what's happening, here.

The issue is the BMW audio system's ability to pair to more than one BMW-branded headset is a *proprietary function*, and does not adhere to the Bluetooth standards. The same concept holds true with your Sena - that is why you can pair to up to three additional Sena headsets for intercom - through a proprietary Sena-only 'profile' in the headset's firmware.

Bluetooth, today, is a point-to-point technology. In other words, one device can pair and *be connected* to only one other device at a time - for each 'profile'. Your RT audio system has ONE A2DP stereo music profile, and so does the Sena. You cannot connect a second 'standard' headset - at the same time. Why does BMW do this? Because they can - and to sell you a ridiculously over-priced headset and helmet system; Probably for the very same reason that they will sell you a $200 Canbus battery tender... Sorry - I digress.

So, sadly, you can your pillion cannot easily share the same music source - at least not the RT's factory audio system. I'm sure I could devise an alternative for you, but it's probably more hassle than it's worth. You may consider a Bluetooth MP3 player for your passenger - paired to their Sena headset. As you've discovered, your GPS wants to use the same profile as your BMW audio system, so you're outta luck, there, too.

As you've noted, wired bike audio systems are certainly more versatile - and orders of magnitude more reliable. Feel free to call me if I can help further.

Archived