IGNORED

Go Pro Hero Camera Kit....

Redbrick

Ordered the Hero today (Amazon has a good deal) and would appreciate info on what size card to get..32 GB's seems like a lot.....Will use it primarily for video and sequential shots on the bike ...Kind of a nebulous question with a lot of variablesI know, but comments from the vast experience base out there will be appreciated.... :)

I have been using an 8GB card with mine and haven't come close to filling it with sequential photos and reasonable length (20 minute) videos - 8GB is good capacity for the price. It probably depends on how long between downloads to the computer and amount of video taken - 8GB covers a day for me easy.

Joe Frickin' Friday

If you want to take a vacation with it and plan to capture a lot of footage, you'll fill up the smaller card. I just finished a two-week trip to Japan with a brand new camera (Canon SD4500). a 16-GB card holds an hour of 720P video (or 6000 photos), so I thought that would be enough; I ended up buying another 8-GB card to finish the trip.

Get the 32, then you can capture lots of footage on vacation, and know that you'll have enough quality segments to whittle down to a nice highlight video when you get home; you won't have to worry about filling up the card before you finish your trip.

On my HD pro the battery dies in less than one hour, way before I can fill up my 16G card. Even if the camera is in standby and set on taking pictures it will suck down the battery.

So if you are hiking or in places where a recharge is not possible, carry a spare battery. If I am not mistaking a 16G will get you 2hours of 1080P. But as I said the battery will go only one hour.

On my HD pro the battery dies in less than one hour, way before I can fill up my 16G card. Even if the camera is in standby and set on taking pictures it will suck down the battery.

So if you are hiking or in places where a recharge is not possible, carry a spare battery. If I am not mistaking a 16G will get you 2hours of 1080P. But as I said the battery will go only one hour.

Mine does 3 or 4 twenty minute sessions per charge ... you may have a bad battery.

I also like getting the 8gig or 16 gig cards, that way if you do have your laptop with you, you can just pop the card out and plug it into your laptop, and not have to remove the camera. So if a 16gig card is 24.00 and a 8 gig card is 10.00 I usually buy 3 8gig cards. I find it works better, at least for me. YMMV

Mine does 3 or 4 twenty minute sessions per charge ... you may have a bad battery.

Isn't 3-4 20 min session = one hour?

Hmmm, guess "per charge" was not what I had intended to say. More like "per use". I use mine at track days. I normally record between an hour and 90 minutes of video for the day and its not completely discharged. Its gone as long as 115 and was still recording when I turned it off.

I have the GoPro Hero HD and I have 2 32gig Class 10 cards. Make sure you get AT LEAST a Class 6, but Class 10 is way better.

Went on a 1500 mile 4 day ride from SoCal up 395 and across the the Sierra Nevada mountains 4 times, including Yosemite and ended up with about 18 gig on one card. This was a combination of pics (1 every 30 sec) and 720P video. I have found that visual difference between 720P and 1080P is negligible.

I don't bother with spare batteries. The only time I use the battery is when I'm NOT on or in a vehicle. I use a USB cord plugged into my cigarette lighter to power the GoPro. Too bad I had to cut a hole thru the (previously) waterproof case to plug it in, but thats fine. I will NEVER run out of "battery" while corded in.

GoPro recommends class 4 cards which has a guaranteed data rate of 4mg/s, why spend the extra money on faster data rates? The camera can only produce so much data/sec.

GoPro recommends class 4 cards which has a guaranteed data rate of 4mg/s, why spend the extra money on faster data rates? The camera can only produce so much data/sec.

Sadly the various cards within a particular Class (0-4-6-10) do NOT all perform equally. Yeah I know, they're SUPPOSED to, but trust me, they don't. So its a crap shoot. I buy nothing but 6s or 10s because I also use them in my digital cameras and there is a VERY pronounced time difference to save a pic or vid depending not only on Class but also on different brands.

With Class 10, you can't go wrong for any application.

Sadly the various cards within a particular Class (0-4-6-10) do NOT all perform equally. Yeah I know, they're SUPPOSED to, but trust me, they don't. So its a crap shoot. I buy nothing but 6s or 10s because I also use them in my digital cameras and there is a VERY pronounced time difference to save a pic or vid depending not only on Class but also on different brands.

With Class 10, you can't go wrong for any application.

Recommended brands please.... :grin:...Go Pro sells Kingston so I'd imagine it performs well......

Sadly the various cards within a particular Class (0-4-6-10) do NOT all perform equally. Yeah I know, they're SUPPOSED to, but trust me, they don't.

Thanks, I suspected as such.

I don't bother with spare batteries. The only time I use the battery is when I'm NOT on or in a vehicle. I use a USB cord plugged into my cigarette lighter to power the GoPro. Too bad I had to cut a hole thru the (previously) waterproof case to plug it in, but thats fine. I will NEVER run out of "battery" while corded in.

I was not aware that you can have the camera plugged in a record with it. I will have to try that next time. I think I tried that and it did not work. I will recheck.

I was not aware that you can have the camera plugged in a record with it. I will have to try that next time. I think I tried that and it did not work. I will recheck.

I just tried it with my new (and confusing) Hero and all that comes up is "usb"....It doesn't turn on....But Im' not sure something isn't wrong with it anyway as it sometimes won't turn off and neither button is effective (nothing happens when you push them)...Have to physically pull the battery and reinsert to make it work....

I'll read and experiment more before I ask questions but I'm having problems.... :mad:

I'll read and experiment more before I ask questions but I'm having problems....

Go Pro has great tech support, send them an email, they'll respond.

I'll read and experiment more before I ask questions but I'm having problems....

Go Pro has great tech support, send them an email, they'll respond.

Thanks Gordon.......I'll e-mail them now..........

I've had excellent results with both my 32gig cards

ADATA 32GB SDHD Class 10

No compatibility issues whatsoever with the GoPro unit, BUT be aware that depending on the age of your PC, your SD card reader may NOT read cards bigger than 4 GB. I had to buy a USB flash drive to plug the card into, THEN into my USB port and all was fine.

Gordon........Got a response to my E-mail from Go-Pro but nothing suggested was any different than I was trying..Sent them follow-up request for more help...Bought a 16GB Kingston class 6 SD and same problem; locks up and won't take pics or video... :P

While I'm waiting to make the damned thing work I'm trying to figure out where to mount it....I see you have a 12 RT too....Any suggestions? Do the stick on mounts do any harm to the paint and have you ever removed one from a painted surface?

Thanks.....

Every single location I have tried on my RT has been too shaky or vibration prone making the video very unpleasant to watch.

The only sure bet is the top of the helmet, where I have mine and it works GREAT. The body makes a great vibration dampener and there's the added benefit of being able to capture something that is NOT in front of the bike. It is really nice to be able to look sideways and not miss that great shot.

it is not too bad mounted on the steering wheel.

Check it out

The noise you hear is me manually rotating the camera housing in its rubber ball socket.

Change the resolution from 360 to 1080P on your youtube setting.

It is not cinema quality but it looks pretty good to me.

Rampant Rockster

You may also want to look at the RAM Mount options. I have graduated to it, and it's a huge difference in vibration quality over the GoPro mounting system. I got the GoPro tripod adapter, and the RAM to mate up with it...that way you can still use the housing.

Try mounting it EVERYWHERE!

Example:

Have fun...it's a really neat tool.

Archived