IGNORED

Seat Height R1100RT 1996

Ross21710

Does anyone know the seat height of this bike? I am 5'4" and am considering purchasing one. I ride a R850R and can't flat foot but I'm OK with this, but would not want to go any higher than what I am used to on the 850. I have not found any information yet online.

Thanks,

Does anyone know the seat height of this bike? I am 5'4" and am considering purchasing one. I ride a R850R and can't flat foot but I'm OK with this, but would not want to go any higher than what I am used to on the 850. I have not found any information yet online.

Thanks,

According to a quick online search, it is 30.7 inches on the lowest setting. However, several things can contribute to the effective height.

Does it have a standard seat, or an after market one? The amount of "sag" you get from the suspension whey you sit on it, as well as the width and general shape of the seat can have a large effect.

I have an 1150RT, which show a 31.7 inch seat height with a standard seat. I have short legs (approx. 28" inseam) and I have a Sargent "low seat" so that I could get more than just the tips of my toes on the ground. Hopefully, you can sit on it before you buy, but keep in mind that there are options like lower seats or higher boot heels that can help.

Thanks for the information and research. It has a stock seat. It's helpful to know your experience. Any tips on what to look for in this bike? How do you find the weight and handling? The 850 is very sporty and has great torque, fun to ride, but NO wind protection. I'd be curious to know your impression of this model.

Thanks for the help.

I'm 5'9" with 29" inside leg and ride an R1100RT with stock seat,I find it quite comfortable with seat set at lowest or mid position, cant put feet flat on ground of course but with boots on it's no problem, I wouldn't want to be any shorter on this bike though! (mainly due to weight when stationary and slightly 'off the vertical')

regards,

Dave.

This page has pictures and links ref the 850.

You can (could) add a parabellum scout fairing and windshield (various heights) to provide wind weather protection.

Co$t le$$ than a new bike, IMO.

Best wishes.

Compared to a R850R a R1100RT will be taller, and nothing you do to it will get it close to the 850. Lowering the suspension with custom shocks might do it, but it is $$$$ and the bike is still much heavier than the 850. Tim's (Tallman) suggestion of making a nice touring R850Rt-lite out of your bike is a great suggestion.

I'm 5'7" on a good day (28" inseam) and have a 96 R/RT. After a couple of years and 30k or so miles, am still not comfortable at a stop. When moving, it is a great machine. Protection is unparalleled. I especially enjoy the adjustable windscreen, more so than I ever thought I would. Have taken the machine on a couple of really neat cross country trips and it's my daily commuter into DC. I've had a couple of zero speed drops, both from my inability to plant both feet for maneuvering. I wasn't comfortable on the stock seat for any length of time and got a Sargent that helped immensely. What I didn't realize at the time was the Sargent added over an inch to the height even at its lowest setting. I've since gotten a Wunderlich low and adjusted the suspension to its softest which helps, but I still cannot firmly plant both feet. It becomes most obvious when I'm backing into the garage and a toe slips on something like a very small water spot or grains of dirt. Not being able to firmly plant a foot resulting in a toe slip is unnerving. The most frightening was trying to do a turnaround near the top of Pikes Peak. Pointed downhill with the front tire near the edge of the pavement, could almost not get enough purchase with the toes of one foot to push the bike backward a foot, nor could I secure myself to get off to push because my other foot just quite couldn't reach the surface (and it was gravel).

I came off a cruiser (Triumph Bonneville America) and this is my first sport touring machine. IMO the RRT is as good a commuter and much better tourer though not as secure at a stop. Not knowing your purchase timeline, if you find yourself in DC or Alexandria before you buy you're certainly welcome to take my RRT for a spin, or simply to sit on it, to see what you think.

Looking at the specs here :-

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R850R.htm

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1100RT.htm

Theres very little difference except that most RT's seem to have the adjustable riders seat giving a slightly lower STD setting of 3/4" ( lower than the R850R ) this does depend on the seat fitted too, some have the later "comfort " seat fitted which is slightly wider / better padded.

Good advice to try one for size though, good luck

It's tall, it's top heavy, and it's hard to pick up off of the ground. :(

If you're 5'4", I can't recommend buying it unless you're a weight lifter. :D

Other than that, it's fun to ride.

Patricia,

I am also 5'4" with 29" inseam and purchased a 1997 1100RT couple of months back. Here are my observations and what has worked so far for me:-

- low stock seat

- rear bumpers on the front seat cut to about 1/2"

- This seat modification suggested by Richard

- Boots with higher heels and 1" insoles. I have TCX infinity.

Also there is a FAQ on this forum for lowering suggestions:

Here's the link

I still cannot completely flat foot with both legs but most of the time its not required. On stop light I usually put one foot down and am usually comfortable. Do get nervous sometimes but I would give some more saddle time and see if I am completely confident.

The size and height of the bike is intimidating in the beginning. As you start riding it you realize its very well balanced and much easier to maneuver at slow speeds.

Yes its heavy to lift once you drop it. But hey good Samaritans are around when you need help unless you are in an isolated country road.

As others suggested, try seating on one and see if you can lift the bike from side stand to upright position, both on flat surface and a slightly sloping surface. That will give you an idea of weight and reach.

Good suggestions all the way around. My 850 is a great bike. I'd like to find a scout fairing, if anyone knows of one, please let me know. I appreciate all the ideas and feedback, you've answered my questions.

Thanks for the touring R850Rt-lite suggestion. Seems like a smart idea to 'remake' my bike into a tourer.

You can find all the info for the Scout at www.parabelum.com .

Picture of my (gone but not forgotten) R1150Rt-lite with the Scout fairing:

P-ScoutIMG_0168.jpg

Thanks for the touring R850Rt-lite suggestion. Seems like a smart idea to 'remake' my bike into a tourer.

You can find all the info for the Scout at www.parabelum.com .

Picture of my (gone but not forgotten) R1150Rt-lite with the Scout fairing:

P-ScoutIMG_0168.jpg

I hope you put the back wheel on before you sold it. That would be one wild ride!

Are those K mirrors on there? Looks good.

That's really a lovely looking bike. My 1100r has a larger Polywel windshield and the 1100GS hand protectors (along with the stock BMW bags) for touring kit. Works quite well.

"I hope you put the back wheel on before you sold it. That would be one wild ride!

Are those K mirrors on there? Looks good."

I had a spare set of wheels for the bike, and have now for the 1200GS :) . And yes, those are K1200 mirrors.

Any comments on tire comparisons for the R850R? Battley's suggested the dual compound Michelin Pilot ROAD Street/Sport Touring. I'd like to know what else should be considered for someone doing mostly highway, long distance touring, with frequent PA, WV, NC backroad/mountain rides. We ride in the rain, and I want a tire that is going to give me good all weather cornering and handling, but also good tread wear. I am interested in knowing what has worked well for others on a similar bike. I am not an aggressive rider but I like to have some fun on the Parkway. Any recommendations? What's the cause of 'tread cupping', is it tire pressure or balancing?

Thanks!

Bad cupping is a low pressure issue.

Tyre recommendation? Not touching that round here, you may come to regret asking.

I am now going to bravely run away. :)

Paul Mihalka

Mostly anything from Metzeler or Michelin you can't go wrong. Highest mileage is the Metzeler ME880. Some say it lacks traction in the wet or sporty riding, but I had them for a few 100K miles and never had a problem, even on a race track. Generally you get a trade-off between mileage vs. traction.

Clive Liddell

Hi Patricia,

"Any comments on tire comparisons for the R850R? Battley's suggested the dual compound Michelin Pilot ROAD Street/Sport Touring. "

===

I use the same tires on the R850R as I use on the RT. The difference in weight is only 40kg.

The reason that the RT is more unwieldy is that the additional weight is all in the fairing and tank and its supporting structure etc which would shift the center of gravity higher.

Archived