IGNORED

Comfortable Ear Plugs

Lmar

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I wear them even on my 20 minute commute.

I haven't found any that I can say anything bad about. Yellow cheapo foam, red silicone very squishy foam.

I don't think the average person can tell the difference between a few dB so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that in lieu of how they feel in you're ear.

I like the custom molded plugs. I got mine from Insta-mold. They cost about $60, and work fine for me. There are much better out there, I'm sure someone can direct you..

Nice thing is they don't fall out, and I can wear a thin balaclava between them and my helmet.

You get so used to them, that you won't want to ride without them.

Got them fitted at a motorcycle show in NYC last year...

Hearos (www.hearos.com) used to make a plug called Super Hearos, that are superior to anything else I've tried. And I've tried many different ones, including custom molded. The nearest equivalent to Super Hearos in their current range would be their Ultimate Soft Hearos. Their Extreme Protection Hearos are also good, but for some reason their Skull Screws don't agree with the size and shape of my ears.

I like Howard Leight products too! Max are good. the Pilots are much much better and fit the best. A bit more expensive than the rest but are sooo much more better fitting and comfortable. Silicone moldables get messy and the the Custom moldable kit that I made are ok but nothing comes close to the comfort and fit of the pilots. Best source I found for them was Northern Safety Products. Standard disclaimer of course.

Bob

After going through most of a big assortment pack of conventional earplugs, without much real success, I finally got a pair of custom molded plugs (40K miles ago). For me, that's the final answer. I find that they fit well, there's no discomfort even after a full day's ride, and they block out most noise.

In response to:

Poster: tallman

Subject: Re: Comfortable Ear Plugs

Az-Al's.

Comfort and audio if desired.

I have heard that his plugs were good. We have a retirement home in Prescott Valley, Az., only an hour and half away from Mesa.

How do you get a hold of him and what is the cost of his ear plugs?

L-Mar,

I'd bet the gun store(s) in Prescott Valley (or in Alberta, for that matter) could direct you to the nearest and best custom earplug molder (although I too have heard that AZ-Al is very good).

I went through a period about two years ago where I tried nearly every variety of ear plugs I could get my hands on except for the custom-made variety.

Finally, I settled on Moldex Pura-Fits. They do an excellent job with noise attenuation (NRR 33), plus they're cheap and reusable for, maybe, six or seven times. Personally, I find them very comfortable.

All that said, what works for one, likely won't work for another. Everybody's preferences vary, and everybody's ear canals are shaped and sized differently. I've never tried the custom-molded plugs, but I wouldn't like the nuisance of having another expensive, one-of-a-kind set of things to track, clean and avoid losing. With the foam plugs, I can keep a new pair in my workshop, my bike, my SUV, with my chainsaw and in my motorbike jackets. Lose 'em or git 'em dirty and no big deal.

I searched for a season looking for comfortable plugs that didn't make me feel like I was deaf. I settled on Howard Leight LPF-1 Max Lite Uncorded Foam Earplugs from Amazon. 200 Pair for 20 bucks.

A nice extra is that they come wrapped in pairs, so you can grab a bunch and throw them in your tank bag or wherever. Cuts back greatly on unwanted wind noise, but you can still hear the engine. Very comfortable.

I went through a period about two years ago where I tried nearly every variety of ear plugs I could get my hands on except for the custom-made variety.

Finally, I settled on Moldex Pura-Fits. They do an excellent job with noise attenuation (NRR 33), plus they're cheap and reusable for, maybe, six or seven times. Personally, I find them very comfortable.

All that said, what works for one, likely won't work for another. Everybody's preferences vary, and everybody's ear canals are shaped and sized differently. I've never tried the custom-molded plugs, but I wouldn't like the nuisance of having another expensive, one-of-a-kind set of things to track, clean and avoid losing. With the foam plugs, I can keep a new pair in my workshop, my bike, my SUV, with my chainsaw and in my motorbike jackets. Lose 'em or git 'em dirty and no big deal.

Ditto. Except I also tried custom made. I'll bet I tried 15 different kinds. Nothing beats the Pura-Fits for me.

Started wearing plugs this year.Did not know what would fit me so I bought an assort. pack from this co. to.

Diff. sizes and shapes came in handy.Sometimes U do not want to hear anything and sometimes U do. with the ass.pack U can carry several and choose on the go.

Custom made................

I'm hard of hearing in one ear and wanted sound relief but still wanted to enjoy my music..............

They poured them into my ear, then opened a small hole and installed a filter.

Took a bit of readjusting but got the fit and sound level right where I wanted it.

(had then made at the Redmond, Oregon Rally)

Joe Frickin' Friday
Yup. I bought a box of 200 Howard Leight Max plugs and use them all the time.

+1. Box in the basement, box in the garage. Always a handful stashed somewhere on the bike.

I tried a set of AZ-Al's custom-molded plugs back in 2003, but I had trouble with them rubbing on my helmet, and ended up discarding them. I'm hoping that the interference was due to the speakers I had installed in my helmet at the time. I have done a better job of recessing the speakers in my current helmet, and so I'm hopeful that a set of custom plugs will be more to my liking; I'm hoping to have a set made next spring.

Personally I like Howared Leight products.

But you may consider picking up an assortment pack (Not an endorsement from this source).

+1 on an assortment pack. Just because some magazine or friend says "Brand A is the best earplug available," doesn't mean their recommended product will be best for you. I tend to lose things, so I've never really considered going beyond disposable foam plugs.

I've tried many different brands from 3M to el-cheepos, all irritated my narrow ear cannels on long rides.

Finally I settled for some pink- ladies(smaller)earplugs, from Academy sporting good store - hunting sections.

They also sell the two-part moldable silicon sets for around $13.

I have used lots of different plugs, I settled on the E-A-R earsoft yellow. They are the highest rated db plug at 33db’s. I buy them in boxes of 200. I use them for a few days and then chuck them. I find they get dirty fast and lose their effectiveness over the course of a few days rides.

I also use AZ ALs custom ear buds with my IPod, I love them. They are the very best in ear speaker I have ever used on a motorcycle. They also work pretty darn good just as an ear plug with the music off. Al took the time to reshape my padding in my helmet to give a very comfortable fit.

E-A-R store link

938233677_69A3h-L.jpg

+1 for Az Al's plugs. Got a set about 2 years ago and then decided after a few months that I wanted the audio feature. I sent the plugs to Al and for a reasonable price he modified my plugs to make them speaker plugs and they are outstanding for sound quality and keeping out unwanted noise. Comfortable for all day rides.

Moldex "Spark Plugs" (NR33) disposible foamies for me. Box of 200 pairs to my door for $20 plus change. I agree that everyones needs are different so try as many as you can to see what feels right (you'll know if it isn't after about an hour)...

Another vote here for Al's. I've had mine for a couple years now, and couldn't be happier. Brought a friend up to the 49er rally just to get some plugs for him.

Super comfortable, great audio (if that's what you're looking for.) If you catch him at a slow period during a rally, he might even help you mess with the padding in your helmet for a more comfortable fit.

FWIW, my Arai was a teensy bit tight against the ears, but my Nolan is perfect and required no modding.

-Neal

Contacted Al a couple of days ago. I'll get him to make me a pair when we get back to Az in early April. I think I will try a regular plug first, if I like them I will then order ones for my ipod.

Thank you for all the replies.

Archived