IGNORED

Alaska 2007 Revisited

chrisolson

Its winter, holiday season, not much riding going on ... was just cleaning the car this afternoon and looking at the bike thinking about DVD and then my friend Whip calls. Spent a fair amount of time catching up on stuff, and then he thought, and I agree, that y'all might enjoy a look back in time at an adventure of a lifetime ... Alaska 2007

Route.GIF

It took 2 years for the final commentary to make its appearance, so I hope you enjoy revisiting this combined post of the beginning and the end of Whip's tale of our trip ...

(I never finished my story with pictures past Homer, but here's my take on our trip. Some of the pics appear in both stories)

Chris

What would you do different?

I think I would want to take a boat either up or back from Bellingham WA.

What about gear?

I liked my choices, don't think I would change a thing.

Wouldn't change a thing on bike, gear or route. Early on I'd played with a route through Bellingham, but at the time it just didn't seem to fit. Although an ocean voyage up the coast would have been a nice thing, we saw more of the actual countryside. If we go back we'll do the boat :smile:

Wonder if anyone has done a route from Bellingham to AK and back through Canada and how it worked out?

Wonder if anyone has done a route from Bellingham to AK and back through Canada and how it worked out?

Chris, I did Canada one way and the boat back. It worked out great and I'd do it again.

I guess that would be the way to go. Our weather and road conditions were not ideal for the Cassier Highwar anyway so missing that wouldn't have been a bad deal. Could have done Hwy 1 south on the way home which might have been interesting.

....and that helmet?

It was specifically designed to let in all that fresh Canadian and Alaska air !! And at that it excelled :rofl:

....and that helmet?

It was specifically designed to let in all that fresh Canadian and Alaska air !! And at that it excelled :rofl:

..not to mention the skeeters.

:/

Wouldn't change a thing on bike, gear or route. Early on I'd played with a route through Bellingham, but at the time it just didn't seem to fit. Although an ocean voyage up the coast would have been a nice thing, we saw more of the actual countryside. If we go back we'll do the boat :smile:

Chris,

I've done it twice. In '05 and last summer. Took the 1 up and boat back the first time and the boat up and the 37 back this time. Nice trip, lots of wildlife to see from the boat. Slept on deck once and had a cabin this last time. Both were fun.

I was very lucky this last time. Mentioned to the captain that I was a former USCG deck officer and got to spend 6 hours on the bridge going thru the narrows in the dark. Brought back great memories. A lot nicer than breaking ice in the northwest passage!

Thanks for bringing back memories. I'm jealous -- you guys actually got to see Denali.

On the return leg, I took the ferry from Haines (a very laid back little town) to Prince Rupert, BC. The ferry was a nice respite from riding -- 2 days of doing almost nothing, and I got lucky with brilliant sunshine.

I'm hoping to convince my wife to go to Alaska when she retires; probably fly to Washington, take the ferry to Haines, then rent a car.

Calvin  (no socks)

Chris, nicely put together. Thanks for taking me back.............................you got me thinking.................

ALASKA 2012!

Chris, nicely put together. Thanks for taking me back.............................you got me thinking................. ALASKA 2012!

To paraphrase a wise old puppet: "Think not, do" :Cool: You'll have a grand time!

I took the boat from Port Hardy to Alaska in 1987 and rode back down the Cassiar, if I do it again I'd take the boat on the return leg rather than outbound as I was pretty beat after 9600 miles. The weather for our sea trip was fantastic and we saw a lot but I've heard of people being fogged in the whole time too.

I enjoyed viewing this trip a couple of years ago. It sure is nice to review the trip again.

I hope other trips get posted so that we can enjoy them during the winter months.

I mentioned to the wife how we need to plan a trip to AK for 2012, told her that we could ride up and take the boat back to Seattle area; what she heard was "Cruise" back...anyone know the plausability of this? I suppose with enough $$ most anything can be done but I haven't heard of cruise ships taking vehicles.

Archived