IGNORED

One of My Christmas Projects

David

This is crafted from cocobolo (or bocote--I can't remember, and they look the same) and maple. I've used dominoes at the mitered corners for structural integrity and made them "through dominoes" for decorative purposes. The top is crowned.

boxsmaller.jpg

Nice work David, Congrats on your book too, 5 star rating, impressive. I'm gonna pick it up as soon as the dust settles from the Christmas over spending.

The grain match on the light wood on top is beautiful. Is that bleached/stained? Really nice work. Great choice of woods making for an excellent contrast.

Vinny, both of those woods are unstained and came just like that from the tree. One is hard maple (the white) and the other is a rare Central American wood called bocote.

Joe Frickin' Friday

David, you're awfully productive; you've been cranking out item after item for a while now, but I haven't felt the urge to do woodworking since I finished my coffee table a couple of years ago. :grin:

(nice work, BTW. :thumbsup:)

Beautiful piece of work. I wish I had 1/10 the talent and patience you have. My woodworking skills begin and end with a circular saw, hammer, and 16-penny nails. :(

I haven't seen a domino joint used in a mitered corner before. Very interesting. Nice work David,

Thanks, John. I kind of wondered how it would look, but I enjoy breaking the rules and trying design ideas.

Thanks, Mark. It's a jewelry box. I'll be putting "flocking" inside.

David. Nice work. I've always admired the talent required to create stuff like this.

Woodworking will be my next hobby but I need to unload a few other things before I can get serious about it.

Post pics of the inside of the box when complete...I'd love to see how nice a flocking job you did. :grin:

boxsmaller.jpg

Great piece!

Without me having any experience with domino joinery, I've been trying to figure out the process. Is it one domino per corner angled all the way through, or two separate dominoes? It doesn't look like there is enough room on the edges for two separate dominoes, or maybe I am misinterpreting the scale.

I am in the very early stages of learning furniture grade woodworking and I always like learn something new.

JohnnyJ

Johnny, these dominoes are 50mm long (the box is 6" x 9"). I chose dominoes that long just so that they would be "through" dominoes (that is, showing on by sides). So it's one domino in each corner--the trick is to get the holes aligned perfectly because you have to cut the hole before you join the box.

Then you trim them with a bandsaw, leaving them "proud" (sticking out a little) and sand the rest off.

Archived