IGNORED

Struggles on Start

roundy

Starting at the simplest and moving from there;

Check your battery connections. Tight? Corrosion?

A battery that will die at the most inopportune time possible (and soon) unless you go get it properly load tested and replaced if it checks anything but perfectly. A voltage check will tell you nothing.

Double check your alternator output as well. When was the last time the belt was swapped/checked?

Check back if this does/does not solve your issue.

Good info above, with that said....

Four to five years out of a battery is about average if it is indeed the stock one. You will hear of some people getting a lot more and a lot less. I pull my clutch in when I start to keep the drag of the tranny out of the equation. She still labors if it is real cold out though.

Stay away from the odessey battery, find something that fills the box that's heavy.

Not sure the reasoning behind this advice but I fitted and Odessey in February this year and yesterday after 2 weeks being stood in freezing conditions Cold enough for the bottle of windscreen washer water I had mixed to start to freeze), 20/50 mineral oil in the sump, the bike started up fine. Yes she turns over a little slowely, but many other batteries would have thrown in towel as I turned on the ignition.

Fit an Oddessy and worry no more.

\v/

Stay away from the odessey battery, find something that fills the box that's heavy.

????

I've had 2 or 3 of these with great service.

My K75 has an odyssey 680, great battery for storage and cranking but if you leave something on for a short time your outa luck, They do not even make a odyssey that fills up my tray on the RT, I want something with more holding power, I tried the closet fit odyssey on my road king and no luck, OK cranking but if you had to spin it a while you better get out the charger. I have one my plane cranking a lycoming 540 (925) and its great but the 540 always starts after a few turns. If odyssey made something that was in-between the 680 and the 925 that would fit the RT I would probably have one as I am a local odessey dealer. Also odyssey has reduced their warranty twice in the last 3 years for the larger batteries for unspecified reasons

I've had the same problem with crankin on my R/T also. I did some research and it looks like OEM CCA for our batteries is 100amps @ 0 degrees. That just doesn't seem like enough. Being an Interstate Battery Distributor I'm thinking of switching to a 20 series battery with 310cca @ 0 degrees. Its just a little different dimension wise but nothing some padding won't fix. I'd rather have the amps when I need it. Silly to think BMW put that size battery in a bunch of different models. Jus my .02cents-------------Ken

Dave_zoom_zoom
My 06 RT seems to struggle when you crank her over to start. It does start but when you press the button it really labours over it.....any ideas??

My Odessey works great. I keep a good battery maintainer on it.

I'm also using 10W-40 Amsoil in the winter. The fact that it's Syn. oil and a lower viscosity is very helpful.

When I'm going for a rather cold ride (-13 to -15C) I use a 300w blub up close, under the oil pan. I set it on top of a tin box to get it where I want it. I leave it that way overnight in a draft free unheated shop.

It's good to go in the morning. It just leaps to life when I thumb the starter in the morning. Having a strong battery of any type is very important in the winter.

Hope this is of some help!

Happy Trails

Dave

I am sure the battery may be past it...

When I am starting the bike, all the lights on the dash go out and the LCD dies then it turns over. Almost like it can't handle the drain/cranking amps..

I've had the same problem with crankin on my R/T also. I did some research and it looks like OEM CCA for our batteries is 100amps @ 0 degrees. That just doesn't seem like enough. Being an Interstate Battery Distributor I'm thinking of switching to a 20 series battery with 310cca @ 0 degrees. Its just a little different dimension wise but nothing some padding won't fix. I'd rather have the amps when I need it. Silly to think BMW put that size battery in a bunch of different models. Jus my .02cents-------------Ken

So Ken, what is the model number on that Interstate Battery? Just in case I want to look at it when the time comes to replace.

So Ken, what is the model number on that Interstate Battery? Just in case I want to look at it when the time comes to replace.

Its a CYTX20HL-BS. Its 3/4"shorter in length,less than 1/4"wider,and about 1/2"shorter in height. Far as I can tell it'll fit. Might have to get a little creative with the strap. No problem for somebody that does his/her own wrenchin. Price is just under $90.00 vs. what BMW will do to you on theirs. Thats also a factory sealed maintenance free battery. Hope that gives ya somethin to work with. Ken

09 rt 13000 miles,had dealer check battery at 12k serviec cause it too didn't seem to start quick enough. kept on bmw tender when in garage.left for the hoildays to warmer weather bike was in truck for two days,unloaded geared up and wouldn't start! NOT A HAPPY BIKER,anyway found dealer in charleston sc took batter to them and they replace under warranty!!! AWESOME service guy Champion bmw ducati of charleston!!!!! put in bike and rode the rest of week. like someone else said if it doesn't check perfect replace at home before you end up stranded. luckily it died on up before we started and was at some fuel stop in nowhereville!!!

That Odyssey 680 is the hot ticket! Replace the OEM (slow cranking from day one compared to the Odyssey) and have had no problems since. It's also lighter than stock, a big priority for me, and even though it may cost a little more than some replacement lead acid batteries, they claim a much longer service life. Also, except for the cryptic comment above, I've yet to hear any complaints about it.

Sorry, I didn't read the rest of your comments before that "cryptic" comment, but looking at the specs of the 680 compared to the OEM spec, I still don't understand why you don't recommend it. Especially being a dealer. As far as it not fitting in the box, there are many easy solutions to overcome that shortcoming.

I used several strips of cut up flat rubber bungie material superglued to the battery but I've read of other methods.

The 680 runs out of juice to fast even on my k75. not enough lead in the pencil, ok though just for starting but nice to leave the radio on once in a while

My 2008 started making slow cranks and then just clicks. Everyone suspected the battery but it tested fine. Eventually had the starter replaced under warranty and has been fine since. I guess what i'm saying is check the battery but if it's o.k. then look at the starter.

For an inexpensive new battery search eBay for UB12220. This battery is maintenance free, has better specs than the OEM BMW battery, fits in the battery compartment (about 1/8" shorter) and is about $50 delivered. I've had one for about a year with absolutely no problems.

kenthewrench

getting setup as a dealer for a new battery manufacturer named "Shorai". Its some kind of new lithiumion battery that weighs as little as 2LBS,has a carbonfiber casing,last up to a year before discharging,and is biodegradeable. Just discharge it and throw it away. Says it has more reserve,more powerful,and they have most batteries for all powersports applications. looks to be about the same price as an AGM type battery. Hmmm I guess we'll see. Website is: www.shoraipower.com

• 3 weeks later...
getting setup as a dealer for a new battery manufacturer named "Shorai". Its some kind of new lithiumion battery that weighs as little as 2LBS,has a carbonfiber casing,last up to a year before discharging,and is biodegradeable. Just discharge it and throw it away. Says it has more reserve,more powerful,and they have most batteries for all powersports applications. looks to be about the same price as an AGM type battery. Hmmm I guess we'll see. Website is: www.shoraipower.com

The one I saw was for $186.00. That's more than 3 times the cost of the UB 1220 AGM battery I just bought which I expect to last 5 or more years with proper care. Until they bring the price down, I only see those for the die-hard weight savings fanatics. I'll just be glad if I keep this '07 RT for another five years to see the need for another replacement. ;)

Archived