IGNORED

Pain betwwen my shoulders.

I812

I have had this for about 5 years. After riding for 150-200 miles a sharp pain starts up between my blades. I am thinking it is from my helmet catching air and putting a strain on my neck.I have tried different windscreens on various models and all the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

russell_bynum

I had the same exact problem. I thought i needed bar backs, a different saddle, different windscreen, etc.

The Master Yoda Riding Position fixed it.

Assuming that is you in your avatar, it is also the foundation that you can use to reduce your lean angle in the corners.

I have it when I get sloppy or ain't paying attention. I think it comes from the relationship between my spine angle, my shoulders and neck. If I keep my shoulders back and my neck and spine in the same line it all goes away. After several hours on the bike my body seems to fold up from the top down and I have to unfold myself(shoulders back stomach out) in order relieve the pain. It also helps to roll my shoulders up and back as far as I can, as often as I can.

The Master Yoda Position says kinda the same thing....I think. :dopeslap:

Holding the bars too tight. Leaning on the bars too much. Or just being out of shape. Motorcycling requires the use of most or all body muscles, so exercise is necessary to be ready for the physical challenge of it.

dc

I had this same problem on my 80/7. Had to do with handlebar positioning. Once I moved the bars a bit, it went away, Ergonomics!

A different seat, moving the bars, growing longer arms. Getting a bike that fits better.

I have the 800ST now and even with Rox risers, the positioning isn't as nice as the 1100 RT-P. That, for me, was a perfect riding platform. Folks on RT's got the bestest seat on the road.

Another possibility is that if one rides with the windshield raised too far, it will create back pressure, with the wind pushing the helmet forward. Easy to determine if the cause of your pain by lowering the windshield if applicable.

What was strange was I had a new helmet (Vox) and it has a lip in the rear top which I believe vents out the air. It may be reacting like a catch pushing my head forward as I ride in mostly cool temps, or want to hear the music, so I keep the windscreen up a lot. My HJC broke down and J&P had this one and all the features of the HJC but added lip/vent/doohickey. Of course I am not in great shape as sport injuries seem to keep coming every year. Thanks for the replies and will look further into your suggestions!

Steve

russell_bynum
I look like a goof in the avatar. I just can't get the dirt-bike style to go away.

I had the same problem.

DSCN0007.JPG

Put a little piece of electrical tape at the top of your windshield, right on the centerline. (just a small piece...an inch or two long)

That piece of tape is your reference point...if your head isn't inside of that mark when you're cornering, you're doing it wrong.

If you struggle with making yourself do it that way, slow down. You can't learn anything when you're pushing your pace. So..slow down to 60% of your normal speed and try again. Try moving into position well in advance of the corner, where possible. If you don't feel like you're totally overdoing it, you're probably not doing it at all.

Motorcycling requires the use of most or all body muscles, so exercise is necessary to be ready for the physical challenge of it.

dc

Aw c'mon...Exercise would take the fun out of riding!!

There’s a pain ‘tween your shoulders,

loosen up your arms, maybe

don’t squeeze the grips so tight

easy, the ride should fit like a shoe.

Thighs holding you and tank near

shoulders back and held, stably

keep the head upright, maybe

you’ll find the bike fits like a glove

People say long rides’r a game

a game you just can't win.

But there's way,

Where you don’t have to pay

for barbacks or screens or nothin’

Use the head on your shoulders,

whisper in your mind, softy

Master Yoda’s right, maybe

there’ll be no pain ‘tween your shoulders.

With all appropiate apologies to

Had same problem with my 06 RT. Already had bar backs and peg lowering kit (6' with long legs). Butt hurt also. Bought RDL seat and both pains went away. Now I can ride all DL...

Try moving into position well in advance of the corner, where possible. If you don't feel like you're totally overdoing it, you're probably not doing it at all.

good advice

• 2 weeks later...

I had that pain right after I bought my R1200RT used. It came with the low seat. As soon as I replaced it with a standard height seat it went away. Apparently my upper back/shoulders likes having my handlebars lower in relation to my body.

I'll just add that an occasional trip to a chiropractor or massage therapist can do wonders, as can exercise taht targets your core strength. Yoga can really help unkink the kinks.

Most likely what's happening is that a combination of tension, muscle use, and overall posture is causing muscles to tighten up or spasm. Once this begins, it is sometimes the case that intervention is needed to stop the spasm.

I know that before I fitted a Corbin to my '02, I was constantly sliding forward on the bike and that caused (on long journeys) a real ache between the shoulders. This was made much worse with the addition of bar backs.

Took Bar Backs off after a 8,000km trip of agony and changed the seat. I've been fine ever since although I did add an inversion table to my armory of devices to keep me upright. I've been great ever since.

Also use a Chiropractor when my own weight on the table isn't sufficient to pull me straight.

Linz :)

Archived