IGNORED

Christmas at an awkward time

Pilgrim

First of all, Merry Christmas to all who read this! I hope you are not snowbound somewhere unless it's with people you love.

Which leads directly to my point/suggestion.

December 25 is, really, an arbitrary date that has become set in stone through centuries of tradition. Understand, I am not challenging Christmas itself; I celebrate it in the religious sense even more than in the commercial sense. But explanations for the Dec. 25 date are manifold; nobody really knows what the real right date is, which means we can exert a degree of flexibility in our thinking.

Christmas is a time when millions of people want to get home for the holiday, and since this is (almost) predictably the miserablest time of year for travel by air or land, and since (almost) nobody goes anywhere for Columbus Day, I suggest that we swap out the dates for Christmas and Columbus Day

Now, certainly, we would have to contend with opposition from the Bing Crosby/White Christmas fans, and we'd catch hell from the Association of Manufacturers of Artificial Snow and Icicles, but I think the multitudes of travelers freed from winter's icy grasp would handily put the naysayers to flight.

I think I'll see if I can get a movement started as soon as the new Congress convenes. Anybody want to sign on to my early petition?

Pilgrim

Given the lovely sunshine and 30C temps today, I commend this petition be stuck where the sun doesn't shine.

Anywhere in the Northern hemisphere should be fine. :rofl:

Christmas is a time when millions of people want to get home for the holiday, and since this is (almost) predictably the miserablest time of year for travel by air or land, and since (almost) nobody goes anywhere for Columbus Day, I suggest that we swap out the dates for Christmas and Columbus Day

Aye.

My sister was supposed to be going home for Christmas but because of the snow in England her flight was cancelled and couldn't be re-booked before next week (unless they wanted to pay $15,000 for business class tickets). So today for the first time since she got married 60 years ago my mother is sitting at home alone on Christmas Day with no presents. I tried to send stuff using a couple of UK sites but none of them could deliver in time for today because of the weather. I sent my package in time by priority mail but it too is held up by the weather.

All this makes me sad! Lot's of time on the phone today.

So AYE - let's move it somewhere more reasonable.

" commend this petition be stuck where the sun doesn't shine."

Here, here to that! For all those who are sad and lonely because of the weather or financial hardship due to the the state of the state. I'm offering free membership in Self Pity Intl.

Christmas fills rightful place on the calendar. One must learn but to enjoy it as best one can. When life gives you anchovies, make pizza!

I like it snowy and a little cold for Christmas. The kids will all be arriving and sleeping over today.

My wife and I just finished talking about a storm that is approaching. We may get snowed in with the kids tomorrow, with our only response being to start an early fire, make cider, play games, make a snowman, and catch some football. Not a bad day.

For the past ~15 years my family has been celebrating Christmas the weekend before the 25th with a BBQ. It's so much easier to travel then, and the flights are way cheaper. We'll exchange gifts among the adults, but kids still have to wait for Santa on the 25th. It's as much a family reunion as a holiday.

Then on the 25th the kids get their Santa stuff, and the religious folks in the family can have their own celebration. Works out great for us -- but took a few years to get everyone on board.

For all those who are sad and lonely because of the weather or financial hardship due to the the state of the state. I'm offering free membership in Self Pity Intl.
Nice, I mention that my mother is alone and that makes me sad and all this jerk can do is insult us.

Kinda of a northern hemisphere perspective eh? My extended family in Australia has never had any snow related issues....if it is too hard for the folks in the northern half of the globe I say feel free to celebrate whenever it makes sense for you and yours....

Harry_Wilshusen

Pilgrim

When you are composing this petition please add an an amendment to it moving February 6th to sometime in June.

TIA

Harry

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Could always go to Oz for Christmas. Quite a few upsides. May consider it myself since it will be warm and, anywhere near a beach, I'll easily be able to create a collection from which to get a new avatar.

No dear, I don't know why all the 64 Gb memory cards for my camera are full.

Archived