IGNORED

Battery Terminal Covers

cali_beemer

So trying to shortcut my way into hooking up my centech, I didnt want to remove the tank in order to pull the battery. I was having a hard time unscrewing the terminal post so I pulled the plastic cover. Now my wires are all hooked up and I went to go put my terminal covers back on only to realize its damn near impossible with the tank on. So my thought was to leave the covers off for now. Are there any issues with this? I dont see a problem with it, but thought I would check before putting the panels back on.

Note to Mods: I posted this in Bike Related but I realized this would be the better spot. Mods feel free to delete my other thread in Bike Related.

The only danger there is should you ever drop a wrench, screw driver or some other metal object it can contact the + post and any metal in the area and spark. Slight chance that could short something out, but that is not likely. It would mostly just arc some sparks. As a temporary safe guard until you pull the tank in the future and then replace the cover, you could slip in a couple pieces of duct tape over the positive post and bare parts of the wires, and you will be just fine.

Yes pureist, this is Mickey Mouse, but it is fine as a temp fix.

BTW you do not need to cover the negative side post...no possible shorts on the -.

The tank does not need to come off for the battery. Access is obtained from the LH side. Remove the LH tupperware, then the intake snorkel (open top of aircleaner, remove one allen screw and it's off.). Then disconnect the battery strap, slide the battery out about 1 inch to get access to the ground terminal. Once that is off, slide the battery out to get to the positive terminal.

As they say in all the best workshop manuals, installation is the reverse of removal.

Andy

The tank does not need to come off for the battery. Access is obtained from the LH side. Remove the LH tupperware, then the intake snorkel (open top of aircleaner, remove one allen screw and it's off.). Then disconnect the battery strap, slide the battery out about 1 inch to get access to the ground terminal. Once that is off, slide the battery out to get to the positive terminal.

As they say in all the best workshop manuals, installation is the reverse of removal.

Andy

I tried doing that. However once I un-did the screw for the air box, it still wouldnt come up. There is a mesh plastic guard in the center that seemed like it was preventing the airbox form coming off. I already have the tupperware off. Once I took the terminal post covers off, adding my wires to the posts was not an issue. It was just a matter of trying to get the covers back on. So after removing the air filter cover, the allen screw and the snorkel, what else needs to come off to take that out? I must be missing a step.

Archived