IGNORED

Rust - How to attack it?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Well, it's been incredibly wet here for the last 5 days. The last time I put the RT away, it wasn't totally dry. Tonight, I noticed on the bolts that hold the brake rotors on, there were some TINY rust spots. I'm not worried, but suprised. I will make sure that I give the bike a dryer enviroment in the future.

The question... (whew)... what do you do to combat rust AFTER it appears, even if it is a tiny spot. I don't want them to become BIG spots.

Ohh... and Merry Christmas to all. :wave:

I haven't been out to the garage to look at mine all week. I better get my magnifier out and go check for specks o' rust too.

You've never ridden in rain?

Oh, your wife is going to love the bike parked in the dining room! :rofl:

A dab of cheap and common WD40 will also do the trick. Dab it on, wipe the rust away. Obviously, don't spray WD40 in the brake disk area as it is a lubricant.

-MKL

Applying a dab of diluted phosphoric acid solution can help remove and somewhat deter rust.

For a demo, drop a rusty nail in a Coca Cola for a few moments, and then remove the nail. This will give you some idea of how effectively phosphoric acid can remove rust.

malcolmblalock

Or live with it. The bolts holding the front calipers on my 05 RT have been rusty since the bike had 15K miles on it. I've cleaned them several times, but the rust comes back pretty soon. Funny, mine has never been kept in an enclosed, wet area (stays outside under a vinyl cover (that doesn't reach those bolts), so unless the hot, steamy environment in central NC is the culprit, I guess it's just the cheap German materials these things are built with???

Bike now has 83K miles on it now, and the bolts are still rusty. Ugly, but it gives the bike a look of invincibility!

Just let them go for a while and pretty soon they'll all have a nice, even brown patina. Then they'll look like they're supposed to be that way.

j/k :D

DaveTheAffable
A dab of cheap and common WD40 will also do the trick. Dab it on, wipe the rust away. Obviously, don't spray WD40 in the brake disk area as it is a lubricant.

-MKL

Thanks Moshe! I should have read your post sooner.

Just kidding... :dopeslap:

5364.jpg.cdb0f97fe8720c37ab42b5a3cc4e2ecb.jpg

Archived