IGNORED

Cycle to cycle head on crash

longjohn

Santiago canyon is a nice ride, but it is decptive. It feels very easy and many people ride it pretty fast. But there are a lot of distractions and some of the corners creep up on you really quickly.

Im sure one or the other crossed the line and tragedy ensued and the 3rd bike got collected in the debris.

Very sad, and not too common that it is bike to bike, but very common to cross the line in this area and head on a car.

Should this thread be moved to "Ride Well"?

Not much detail, but you get the impression that the LAPD veteran crossed over the line (heart attack, tire puncture, distraction???) and hit two guys riding together from Mission Viejo.

Ben

very cool in Toronto

Very sad outcome but certainly questionable reporting. The "news" reads like the officer's eulogy at his funeral while the other victims are barely acknowledged? It's not until the officer's career outline is finished that we learn of an additional 2 injuries. Very odd reporting.

Very sad outcome but certainly questionable reporting. The "news" reads like the officer's eulogy at his funeral while the other victims are barely acknowledged? It's not until the officer's career outline is finished that we learn of an additional 2 injuries. Very odd reporting.

Definately a strange article. One would expect more details of the accident and less about the history of the officer.

No blaring headlines, 'Officer rides badly'.Typical. It's always sad when someone whacks another. Too bad the news didn't learn from Joe Friday, "just the facts ma'am".

Without reference to someone actually being present at Cooks corner, its' mention is of little or no value.

'Twould be like saying cycle crash in San Jose, Alice Restaurant nearby. WTF?

Very sad news indeed! I live really close to this area and I have ridden this road dozens of times over the years and it is an absolutely safe road to ride at the speed limit, which is mostly 50mph. None of the curves are remotely challenging at that speed.

Of course, you DO have to be aware of the inevitable A-Hole speed freaks who have NO regard for others. There is also the possibility you may encounter horse and boat trailers being towed and numerous bicyclists, since this entire area is VERY popular to all.

The condition of the roadway itself is superb. Everything had been repaved in recent years.

It's an unbelievable shame that the apparent instigator of this tragedy was a very well trained police officer with countless hours of riding experience.

:-((

JOHNNYWISHBONE

+ 1

ShovelStrokeEd

Funny, I don't recall reading he was a motor officer.

Of course, you DO have to be aware of the inevitable A-Hole speed freaks who have NO regard for others.

Relax, Francis, people do tend to ride a little faster than the speed limit when the opportunity presents. Of course, no one from this board would dream of that. :P

the apparent instigator of this tragedy was a very well trained police officer with countless hours of riding experience.

Reading those two articles, there's no indication that the officer was a motor cop. He worked vice and then trained other officers so "countless hours" seems incorrect. He sounds like a man who liked to ride in his free time, just like many of us.

Morning Berndm,

You comments are inline with what i was saying. At normal speeds the road is nice and safe. But MANY people take the easy and smooth and comfortable road as an opportunity to start going very fast. Then the road can become deceptive at high speed. We hav had deer pop out in front of us near the lake. Horse riders, Hawks fly right across the road, Huge groups of cycleist filling much of the road. There are also some very beautiful houses and vistas along the way and people sometimes break concentration and look over at these distractions. Couple these conditions with the high likelyhood of OTHER people in the area having stopped at Cooks and had a few beers, there is alot that can go wrong up SCR.

I love it up there and have definately been guilty of running too fast on that road myself, but Im working on that.

When it is all open we would ride our KTM DS up ortega from Elsinore then back North Main Divide up and over the dirt road thru the mountains past Santiago peak, down Holy Jim to Silverado Canyon to Santiago Canyon Rd and over to Cooks for a burger and a pitcher then reverse it home. Great ride.

Or on my street bikes we go over Ortega hwy to Antonio Pkwy to Rancho SM Rd. To Trabuco canyon to Live Oak and down to Cooks.

Great place to ride, but im gonna guess the PD and CHP will be patroling the area in force for a while after this, so ride the speed limit up there...Of course you all do always im sure.

All of this said, It is very sad for all involved and all of there families. We all make mistakes, It is just sad when others have to pay for my mistakes.

Ride safe guys.

the apparent instigator of this tragedy was a very well trained police officer with countless hours of riding experience.

Reading those two articles, there's no indication that the officer was a motor cop. He worked vice and then trained other officers so "countless hours" seems incorrect. He sounds like a man who liked to ride in his free time, just like many of us.

When this accident was reported on the KNBC Ch 4 evening news, they reported that he was a MOTOR training officer. Maybe they were wrong, but that's what they said.

Bernd

I didn't see the news and haven't heard more than the couple articles posted here so I'm not sure where the truth lies. Either way, a tragic accident.

Hey kmac!

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Been there, done that myself. Hard NOT to ride a little frisky when the road is sooo nice. But as we know, there's (possible) danger lurking around EVERY corner, especially Cook's (corner).

I have also used the backroads up over the mountains there on many occasions. (KLR-250) 2 weeks ago TODAY, I took a little tumble transitioning from some mud to the dry dirt at the Sierra Peak intersection. Some bruises the size of Texas on my right hip and a broken LEFT thumb tip bone. Oh well, live & learn. All is good or at least getting better.

Ride safe my friend!

Merry Christmas

Bernd

DaveTheAffable
According to this,

http://www.ocregister.com/news/canyon-280012-road-honda.html

it was the off-duty officer who crossed over the center line.

I'm not implying this place had anything to do with it.

http://www.cookscorners.com/about.html

Glad you're not implying anything Bob. Because if you were, it wouldn't have anything to do with one of Antioch's finest beer spots. Schooner's Antioch

I guess what I AM implying is, "bad form" on your part until and unless we know something.

I've ridden Santiago Canyon off and on for 30 years. I've been to Cooks Corner ONCE. There must be 20 beer joints at the bottom of the Angeles Crest, and hundreds up and down PCH. Danger is EVERYWHERE.

:wave:

According to this,

http://www.ocregister.com/news/canyon-280012-road-honda.html

it was the off-duty officer who crossed over the center line.

I'm not implying this place had anything to do with it.

http://www.cookscorners.com/about.html

If the LAPD had released picture along with the glowing eugoogly, it would be a lot easier to find out if Cook's did have anything to do with it.

Agreed, there is some law enforcement specific "reading between the lines" in the background of the deceased LAPD officer.

Since I offended another poster by not implying something, I will refrain from commenting until the coroner's report is complete.

DaveTheAffable
Agreed, there is some law enforcement specific "reading between the lines" in the background of the deceased LAPD officer.

Since I offended another poster by not implying something, I will refrain from commenting until the coroner's report is complete.

Hey Bob... I wasn't offended. Including a beer spot near Antioch was meant to be funny. I think it didn't read well. :wave: It takes a LOT to offend me. Instead of saying "bad form", I probably should have said something more mundane like... what you just said. Let's wait and see.

Now that I know that I didn't imply that the implication was un implied before I made a reply that could have implied a hasty reply on my part, or that your lack of implication implied a reservation toward implications....

Awww... Merry Christmas!

Unfortunately the read is about the same as the first report. She just changed the victim. Neither was subjective and just the facts without a lot of pandering to the victims lives.

Lousy journalism. Give her an 'F'.

All the victims were/are probably stellar individuals. Reporting their particulars doesn't make the for concise factual report.

The most interesting report will be the final CHP finding.

That's where the law suits will begin.

The other side link doesn't work.

A 60 year old person could drop dead from very many causes, and if they are riding a bike at the time, well.

The best thing to do is wait and see what the investigation shows.

But drinking and driving/riding is still a big problem that still needs more attention, without regard to this accident.

dc

Interesting... The link worked when I put it up.

Now the link previously posted by Upflying will take you to the new article...

Sorry for the confusion... :S

Fact of life! If a movie star or athlete were killed they would get all of the ink. That's the society we live in.

The other side link doesn't work.

A 60 year old person could drop dead from very many causes, and if they are riding a bike at the time, well.

The best thing to do is wait and see what the investigation shows.

But drinking and driving/riding is still a big problem that still needs more attention, without regard to this accident.

dc

Just go to the URL and delete part of the beginning "HTTP//"

It's in there twice.

Archived