IGNORED

Anybody ever have a crooked stock windshield?

chromenomad

Just picked up a gently used '09 RT. With the shield all the way up, the left side is, I dunno, 1cm lower than the right ride. Not much but it's perceptible.

With the shield down, you can tell there is a slight crookedness to it, as the point of the bottom of the windshield is slightly cocked in comparison to the center line of the bike.

I could find no evidence anywhere else that the bike was damaged or anything -- it all looks perfect, handles perfectly, tracks straight, etc.

Before I rip the whole thing apart to see if there's any play in there anywhere, anybody know of anything obvious for me to do?

Having fun with the new ride otherwise. Rode in the cold today and didn't even need any heated gear. :)

-d

There's either 4 or 6 mounting screws (can't remember off hand) that hold the shield to the adjusting arms. It's possible the holes are slightly oversized to the screws which would afford you some adjustment. I'd start there as this would be a quick and easy thing to try.

Delaware Dave

I have the sane thing on a recently acquired 1999 R1100RT. It looks like one of the extending linkages is out further than the other. I wonder if it's adjustable?

I don't think they are adjustable; more likely bent, but it wouldn't hurt to check. You will need to pull a considerable amount of body work to get in there. As an owner of another '99 RT, may I suggest that while you are in there you replace all the wheat bulbs in the instruments, even if none are burned out, as they tend to cloud up over time. If you can find a good source, LEDs are even better. See this thread.

Since your personal info shows location = Delaware, where in Delaware, and what do you do for dealer service (assuming that you don't do all your own maintenance)? I'm from New Castle, and will eventually be moving back when my 89-year old mother is no longer able to run her business by herself.

Nice n Easy Rider
I'm from New Castle, and will eventually be moving back when my 89-year old mother is no longer able to run her business by herself.

Hijack.

Selden, congratulations to your mother for running a business at 89 years of age. And congratulations to you for having such great genes in the family. :thumbsup:

End of Hijack

Delaware Dave
Since your personal info shows location = Delaware, where in Delaware, and what do you do for dealer service (assuming that you don't do all your own maintenance)? I'm from New Castle, and will eventually be moving back when my 89-year old mother is no longer able to run her business by herself.

I've only just got the RT, and have put about a hundred miles on it. I can do most servicing myself, but I will use Bob's BMW in Jessup, Maryland for the tough stuff.

I hope to see you on the road up here someday, among all the Harleys and Sportbikes. :thumbsup:

Funny the things you notice tootleing down the road. I have notest almost every screen or front stuff on BMW's I have owned just a little off center or twisted. As mentioned I loosened the RT screen and moved it a little. Good enough but not perfect. Now if Porsche made a bike.......

Archived