IGNORED

wind shields

jjsrt

I want to update the shield on my 09 1200rt. I have had C.Baileys on my 1100,1150. Good shields..I have the stock screen as well as a Cal Science that came with the 1200. The stock one is too short and a bit flimsy. yes i can go to C Bailey again but I have heard stories of the stock supports breaking over time on the 1200rt. Truth or fact? I invite others to tell me of other makes they have success with and why. The C.Bailey on the 1150 had a Euro cut out and a turned up edge, I really liked that feature. The 1200rt model doesn't come that way. Parabelum? Z-Tech? Cal Science? Suggestions and comments are appreciated

Regards,

Jeff

I've had a Cee Bailey on my 06 RT (1200) for around 35k miles with no problem. I've heard of arms breaking but not related to any particular brand of shield. I suspect it's a function of size. I'm not sure about your comment on styles for the 1200. Mine has the turned up edge at the top.

I fiddled around with the standard R12RT windshield trying to determine what's important to minimize buffeting around my helmet. Ended up with a C.Bailey's, to which I've added a 3/4-inch aluminum spool spacer beneath the top screen screw to make the screen more vertical. With thinner spacers below the middle screws, it works very well.

After reading about failures, I worried about the weak stock lower screen supports. But, after clobbering a very mean topas (speed bump) in Mexico at about 60 mph with out damage, it appears the standard pieces will do fine on my bike. There may be other, screen mounting-related issues that affect this (loose mounting screws, etc.).

I've had a Cee Bailey on my 06 RT (1200) for around 35k miles with no problem. I've heard of arms breaking but not related to any particular brand of shield. I suspect it's a function of size. I'm not sure about your comment on styles for the 1200. Mine has the turned up edge at the top.

I agree, size appears the primary concern. That is one reason I went only one inch over vertically (of course I'm still three inches wider) than stock. I was thinking perhaps, most support failures were on larger shields, those three inch and higher than stock.

Actually, the stock shield works just about right for me. Except in situations where a truck is in front and I start thinking more about road debris kicking up. However, thought that additional one inch, with the flared top, would create better air flow, since it would be at a slightly lower angle at same height.

Had an Aeroflow on my '05 RT and liked its wind management but it fluttered around a lot and the left upper arm eventually did break.

Best screen so far for me is the stocker on the '10 RT. Doesn't flutter around, no back pressure, and excellent wind management.

Bill

Just a fyi I just posted a barely used Large Calsci screen in the classified ads at a great price.

Still in the original box - check it out.

08RT

Just a fyi I just posted a barely used Large Calsci screen in the classified ads at a great price.

Still in the original box - check it out.

08RT

Are you posting any aluminum supports at a great price also?

i am looking for a taller screen for my 1150 rt to reduce wind noise for touring comfort and also to enable me to hear the stereo. I am 6'4". The marathon screen by Wunderlich has been one suggestion and would a taller screen make much difference anyway? Thanks

I have the Aeroflow on my 07 RT. The upper supports broke (as has been discussed in other streams) during a trip to Colorado this summer. I had ordered some replacements (non-OEM) that were fabricated and not from pot metal. Took 15 min to replace them both.

The Aeroflow does have some flutter but has been a great highway and in-town windshield in all temperatures (I'm in Florida and our summers are brutal)

I took the short ride down to CalSci on Monday to take a look at their offerings for my RT. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Med. or Lg. screen. They let me test ride the screen before buying. We started out with the Lg. and after testing it I knew I didn't want to go to the medium. I'm 6' with a short inseam and I'll be using the screen just below full height most of the time. I really like the look better than the new stock shape with it's little ears on the top. Very nice people, I'm sure I'll be doing business with them again.

Can anybody tell me whether the CalSci is narrow enough to install extra mirrors on a 2005 R1200RT? I have a ZTechnik windshield right now, and it's too wide to mount sport mirrors.

Jim

Archived