IGNORED

Gas Gauge...#4...

markgoodrich

...I think, let's see, original was replaced under warranty when I whined about it being inaccurate. Replacement was no more accurate, but felt bad about it and committed suicide after a few months, bike turned off, filled up, back on, no gauge readout. Replacement was more accurate, lasted quite a while, but committed suicide yesterday...moved bike out of garage, no gauge read when turned back on. So, yeah, number four is going in tomorrow. All under warranty, the part costs something like $160, plus labor.

Why'm I telling this? Because the dealer says BMW has come out with a new part which should fix the problem. Forever. I'm so relieved.

Frankly, I wish they'd just put a freaking petcock on the bike, with off, on, and reserve. I'd know what to do with that.

Yikes. This sounds like a whine thread. Why, those stinking Germans, BMW is stupid, I hate them, worst stinking stupid motorcycle ever made, damn thing only has almost 60,000 miles on it and I'VE HAD TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER FOUR TIMES IN FOUR AND A HALF YEARS TO GET IT FIXED OVERNIGHT, FOR FREE! And I know a guy who knows a guy who had a headlight burn out after just a week!!! Not only that, it's as ugly as a Prius, and I feel SANCTIMONIOUS when I ride it past a stupidhead on a Harley Davidson!!!!!!!

DaveTheAffable
...the dealer says BMW has come out with a new part which should fix the problem. Forever. I'm so relieved.

Is that for real? Any one else heard this?

Bitch

Moan

Whine

Pass the cheese.

Mark, let us know what they replace it with - details man! Let's hope it's accurate.

Mine is considering committing suicide again this Spring.

...the dealer says BMW has come out with a new part which should fix the problem. Forever. I'm so relieved.

Is that for real? Any one else heard this?

Dave, the service guy really did tell me that.

DaveTheAffable
Dave, the service guy really did tell me that.

Thanks Mark. It reminds me of Harry Potter movies... "The evil whose name is not to be spoken". :rofl:

I have not (yet) had to replace my fuel strip, but I have less than 1200 miles (after 5 months of ownership :( )

I'm hoping that I'll only have to replace it once, and now that I've spoken of it, that'll be soon.

Mark, maybe the fourth one will finally last but I understand your frustration. I went through five transmission oil seals in the first 48k on my 07 but haven't had a problem in the last 60k. OTOH, my original gas guage still works fine.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mark, let us know what they replace it with - details man! Let's hope it's accurate.

The new part is a wooden dipstick. Centuries of proven reliability and accuracy.

And it's only $130.

Mark, maybe the fourth one will finally last but I understand your frustration. I went through five transmission oil seals in the first 48k on my 07 but haven't had a problem in the last 60k. OTOH, my original gas guage still works fine.

I'm not frustrated at all. In almost 60,000 miles, I've only had five repairs to the bike: the fuel strips, and the throttle cable had to be replaced early in the bike's life...an assembly issue.

I was being facetious. In the future I'll try to decrease the subtlety of my ironic commentary.

"More koolaid, aisle 3 please!"

If this refers to Jim Jones koolaid, give that man a bucket.

All BMW gas gauges don't work perfectly.

Anybody wanna admit to plumbing their old petcocks incorrectly and find reserve to be non existent?

If it's any consolation event the wheezy little 800ST has gas gauge issues.

Oh, as a back up to gas gauge, you do know how to reset the odometer, don't you?

Uh, notacop? Did you notagetit? I was being silly and facetious, essentially poking a little holiday fun at curmudgeons who expect BMWs to be perfect, when in fact they're just machines. Anyone who took my faux screed as real, I refer to my earlier comment regarding future decrease in subtlety in ironic statements made for my own, and perhaps others' amusement.

I started the thread to inform regarding the alleged "forever fix."

Which, now, it turns out, the service writer has confessed that the part number is the same, and he was "given bad information." But I don't mind. Things break. This particular thing has been fixed for free, this time almost instantly...I dropped it off yesterday because it was convenient, it'll be ready right after lunch. What's to bitch, moan, or whine about? My wife's Malibu? Yeah, that's to bitch about. Moan about. Whine about.

Like the old Nina Simone* song says,

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good,

Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood," and please, don't threaten me with buckets of cyanide-laced Kool Aid. You know, I never really liked Kool Aid very much. Now Lik M Aid, that was good stuff, forget mixing with water, just open the little envelope and powder your tongue. Lotta kids liked the grape-purple tongue effect, but I much preferred the phosgene green look of the Lime Lik M Aid.

*Don't be silly, everyone knows the Burdon version, but it was written for Nina, back before her heroin daze.

The new part is a wooden dipstick. Centuries of proven reliability and accuracy.

And it's only $130.

Nice. Just as long as it has hash marks we're good.

And, Mark. Don't change a thing. I enjoy your sense of humor. This place can use a bit of levity sometimes.

Lotta kids liked the grape-purple tongue effect, but I much preferred the phosgene green look of the Lime Lik M Aid.

Phosgene? :eek:

Well, yes, phosgene. This was a double-intender: I intended a play on word in the sense that the gas has an odor of newly mown hay or green corn, according to the gogonet, and there is currently a song in rotation on forward-looking radio stations which are heavily subsidized by the Federal Government, and either the song or the band is "Phosgene Green." I was trying to appeal to the sensibilities of both the hip young people and the super-extreme precisers. Apparently I failed. Therefore, I suggest you go root around in the back of the kitchen cabinet, find the leftover food coloring used for Easter aigs, and squirt at least a half bottle of the green stuff on your tongue, swish it around real good, and stick it (your tongue) out whilst looking in the mirror. That will be a fairly close approximation of Lime Lik M Aid. It will not, however, make your gas gauge more accurate.

It, the gas, is not something one would want to have or encounter. Like the BMW, its provenance is primarily German.

This thread, by the way, is number two with a bullet when you google "phosgene green."

I should add, finally, that the current product known as Lik M Aid or "Fun Dip" is unlike the original, and worse, is packaged in plastic, rather than paper envelopes.

We now return you to gas gauge commentaries.

And some phosgene. Don't forget the phosgene.

Yeah, I think we're getting plenty. You know what I'll be thinking about the next time my gas gauge gives up the phosgene.

Starting to get the idea Mark should not be encouraged.

Back from the dealer, mother in law arrived for Christmas, dogs eating popcorn, all well.

Gas gauge functioning.

The rest of the story: not only is there no new part, the mechanic told me this: about 90% of the '05s worked fine; the percentage dropped with the '06s, and nowadays, it seems like 90% fail. "We've had the come out of the crate with no gauge function." He blamed it on the subcontractor who makes the strips, whose QC is obviously not what it should be. Regardless, as I said earlier, free replacement overnight, friendly chat with the service guys, and we all learned a little something about phosgene.

"Starting to get the idea Mark should not be encouraged."

Oh, but I am encouraged! Bike's running fine, I may know about how much gas I have left, DADT got passed, New Start will further reduce the number of nucular weapons available to us and Russia, I met a guy today who drives a Prius who stated categorically he is not a sanctimonious douchebag, and in stop and go traffic on the freeway on the way home from the dealer drivers were swerving to avoid a board in the road, which I just hopped off and threw to the verge, to congratulatory honkings. What's to be discouraged about?

:rofl:

"If I live to be 90, I'm going to eat only chili dogs, Ho Hos, and cocaine."

"And I'll quit not drinking beer.

Seriously considering 70 instead of 90 now."

I don't have a problem. I don't like chili dogs (but bacon!) or cocaine. I don't know what Ho Ho is. I quit not drinking beer 60 years ago. I don't know how I'll celebrate 90, but it's not THAT far away...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

:rofl:

"If I live to be 90, I'm going to eat only chili dogs, Ho Hos, and cocaine."

"And I'll quit not drinking beer.

Seriously considering 70 instead of 90 now."

I don't have a problem. I don't like chili dogs (but bacon!) or cocaine. I don't know what Ho Ho is. I quit not drinking beer 60 years ago. I don't know how I'll celebrate 90, but it's not THAT far away...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Paul, the chili dog/Ho Ho/cocaine statement is a quote from the hilarious and brilliant journalist Jeffrey Goldberg, who writes for The Atlantic, among other things. I found it hilarious. I rather doubt I'll go for the cocaine, but the sentiment is amusing.

Someone who has found JOY in his repairs. This really is the season of Happiness.

Sorry I missed the Texas humorostiy, must have flown in under the radar, like an Armadillo, the Texas State bird.

Ho Hos, and cocaine."

Californy had a billet on the ballot about legalizing marijewanna, I voted for because I wanted to spend my golden years stoned. After a lifetime of being straight and upright citizen, I wanted to see what I've been missing. :P

Archived