IGNORED

Two years and counting

beemerboy

Actually, it will be two years from yesterday, December 21st, 2012, that, according to the Mayan calendar, everything is going to go to hell in a handbasket.

Are you buying into this? Yes? No? Why?

If so, what are your plans for the apocolypse?

Mayan-Calendar.jpg

Copyright BizarroBlog

And here I thought I'd get a bunch of replies about members trading in their RT's for GS' and going to Wally World to buy out all their ammo and camping gear. :P

If the event goes down like it did in the movie,

1. I wanna chance to drive a motorhome like Nicky Cage at least for a while.

2. Front row seat at the worst of it! Watching all those survivalist gun loving nits sticking said pistol in mouth when they realize they hadn't figured it correctly. :rofl:

russell_bynum
Y2K need I say more......

Y2K would have been pretty ugly. It wasn't...because everyone freaked out and spent a bunch of money fixing the problem.

I'm not saying it would have been total pandemonium with airplanes fallin out of the sky, etc, but I can tell you from personal experience that the financial industry would have seen some pretty big glitches.

So...you're welcome. :grin:

Y2K would have been pretty ugly. It wasn't...because everyone freaked out and spent a bunch of money fixing the problem.

I'm not saying it would have been total pandemonium with airplanes fallin out of the sky, etc, but I can tell you from personal experience that the financial industry would have seen some pretty big glitches.

Y2K

Don’t even get me started!

“If we don’t do something there’s going to be a mess!” + do a lot of something = no mess = “See, we didn’t need to do anything.”

If ever the whole IT world got shafted it was on that deal. I can recall thinking somewhere around December 20th, 1999, ‘You know, it’s going to be really sucky that I have to spend the only turn of a century I’ll ever see holed up in the damn data center babysitting 40 servers instead of partying like most of the rest of the world.’

The four of us there had brought a couple bottles of champagne. As the reports started coming in from earlier time zones in our enterprise there had been no issues, and feeling pretty confident of our work; a few minutes before midnight we snuck up onto the roof of the (34 story) building to watch the fireworks and have a drink. (Wouldn’t have dared to open it in the data center.) Only to get chased off by building guards; we had tripped an alarm. So I just went back downstairs, called my wife and said I’d be home by 2 am, go ahead and go to bed.

It was, and still is, the single day I have most hated being in IT.

And then over the next few days/weeks all the press hit about what a waste of millions of dollars and how chicken-little overblown the whole thing had been. Not one damn word of thanks to the 1000s and 1000s of IT people who avoided it all.

Oh, and before we left we tore up the 500 or so pages of contingency plans. ‘Screw it - let the day group clean up the mess!’

[it was, and still is, the single day I have most hated being in IT.

Try working with live animals (or in a hosptial) that require 24 hour care. evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. get screwed up all the time.

As far as the end of the world goes: It's a toss up whether to stockpile ammo, liquor or cigarettes. All three are prone to being pilfered prior to the apocalypse. Best to have some of each, which is more fun!

Only a dim-wit would stockpile Spam, MRE's, water...

"instead of partying like most of the rest of the world.’"

Wah, wah, wah! I can't count the number of X mas and New Years I worked because of lack of seniority and because the boss wanted to "Clean the Floor of all the product".

If ever the whole IT world got shafted it was on that deal...

Of course, If IT had designed the software to be able to handle 4 digit years in the first place.........

If ever the whole IT world got shafted it was on that deal...

Of course, If IT had designed the software to be able to handle 4 digit years in the first place.........

Would have if the hardware guys hadn't been too cheap to buy the extra 1K of memory it needed.
What I most regret about Y2K was not taking the $200 an hour that was offered for the 6 months beforehand...

I dunno, we had a pretty automated solution we were running that would clean up about 95% of the mess so only a small percentage of it needed to be done by hand...

Sales was easy then when folks was scared.

Otherwise, I'm gonna sit on my deck, put up my "trespassers will be violated" sign and fire up the the still.

Admittedly though, I figure we've got to the get through the zombie apocalypse first which will leave us living a life farther removed from technology so it won't be that bad.

"leave us living a life farther removed from technology so it won't be that bad"

Not if you know how to make a still... :thumbsup:

worst case I go blind

or

crazy :rofl:

Y2K

Don’t even get me started!

“If we don’t do something there’s going to be a mess!” + do a lot of something = no mess = “See, we didn’t need to do anything.”

If ever the whole IT world got shafted it was on that deal. I can recall thinking somewhere around December 20th, 1999, ‘You know, it’s going to be really sucky that I have to spend the only turn of a century I’ll ever see holed up in the damn data center babysitting 40 servers instead of partying like most of the rest of the world.’

The four of us there had brought a couple bottles of champagne. As the reports started coming in from earlier time zones in our enterprise there had been no issues, and feeling pretty confident of our work; a few minutes before midnight we snuck up onto the roof of the (34 story) building to watch the fireworks and have a drink. (Wouldn’t have dared to open it in the data center.) Only to get chased off by building guards; we had tripped an alarm. So I just went back downstairs, called my wife and said I’d be home by 2 am, go ahead and go to bed.

It was, and still is, the single day I have most hated being in IT.

And then over the next few days/weeks all the press hit about what a waste of millions of dollars and how chicken-little overblown the whole thing had been. Not one damn word of thanks to the 1000s and 1000s of IT people who avoided it all.

Oh, and before we left we tore up the 500 or so pages of contingency plans. ‘Screw it - let the day group clean up the mess!’

I was still working at the time for the State unemployment agency. I bet we spent a Mil or more just by ourselves. Lots of COBOL code still behind the scenes running most of our programs. Of course you wanted to use 2 digits instead of four for the year field. Every little bit helps. (Pun intended :grin:)

.... it's when the aliens are coming back to enslave us.

Rats! I was kinda hoping I could get them to cure my RT's surge. You know, alien technology and all.....hyper drive....stealth stuff.

Actually, it will be two years from yesterday, December 21st, 2012, that, according to the Mayan calendar, everything is going to go to hell in a handbasket.

Are you buying into this? Yes? No? Why?

If so, what are your plans for the apocolypse?

i sAW the movie...does that count, Randy?

Archived